ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-17-2007, 11:05 AM   #1
Gel
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4

Angel Eyes on a Pre Facelift Z4

Not so much of a DIY but general info.

The Facelift Z4 Xenon Headlights have Angel eyes, many say they will not fit for some reason well I can confirm they do.

I bought a set from ebay for $122 (Yes really)

I have a June 2004 Z4 with Xenons, it's pretty much a straightforward remove and replace.

You will find however that the sidelights now show as amber on the outside of the light so you will need to change the bulb to a clear one.

Also the Angel eyes only come on when the High Beam is on.

You can get around this by pairing the grey wire from the sidelight with the white one going to the Angel eye, don't touch the Brown one as there is no point (it's a negative wire).

The Angel eyes stay permanently on now whenever a light is on :rocks:

The only thing to sort out now is that, being in the UK, I need to get these aligned, the UK ones have a lever that you flip, not so for the US ones.

Edit:

The following issues have made themselves apparent:

It looks like I'm going to put my old ones back in.

Stuff I couldn't test until nightfall.

I have no high beam, I have it when I push the stalk forward but when I pull it back nothing.

When the lights are off if I pull the stalk back the standard xenon beam comes on but will not switch off unless I flick the light switch on.

Apart from that, being from the USA they are set for LHD beam, I have a funny feeling that they will not be able to adjust them.

Lovely as they are I get the impression this is an MOT issue not to mention getting flashed by drivers coming the other way.

Am looking to work around this....

Z4 2.2 Remapped, Cold Air Induction, Sound Generator

Last edited by Gel; 07-17-2007 at 06:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 06:32 PM   #2
BimmerZealot
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 xDrive30i

The high beam // flash2pass on the 06+ headlights are Bi-Xenon function, they use the low beam, activating high beam or flash opens the projector, so the flash and high beam are the same thing. Not sure if your old headlights were bi-xenon.

When the lights are off and you pull the stalk this will activate the "lighted walkway" feature, you guys might not have this on the Euro headlights but it's on the US spec cars, it will stay on for a pre-set amount of time acting as a walkway in a dark garage, etc.

As far as aiming them you will have to do that for sure because you guys drive on the other side of the road right?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2007, 02:37 AM   #3
Gel
Private
Rep

Ah, I see...hmmmm

So that's how they are supposed to be, well that's not bad then.

Seems the problem is the alignment then, converting it to driving on the left hand side of the road is a big problem as there is no lever inside the light to chnger the aim

Also, what lights come on when the sidelights are on..is it just the angel eye ring? When setting it up I wasn't too sure what should be there and what shouldn't, as you can see by the picture the outer side lights came on too.

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2007, 03:42 AM   #4
BimmerZealot
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 xDrive30i

The side light (parking light) will come on with 1 click of the dial, the front blinkers will also come on dimly with 1 click. All three will also be on when the low beams are turned on. On my car the angel eyes are set as daytime running lights so whenever the key is at or past position two the angel eyes are on regardless of which lights are on.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2007, 05:14 AM   #5
Gel
Private
Rep

Thanks for the info, it's very hard to work out these lights without a comparable so it's helped a lot.
My only issue then really is the damn angle of the lights, it's a bit more than adjusting them for height as mine have a lever in them for european driving but the USA ones do not have such a switch.
I have my eyes on a passengers side one on ebay germany...it looks as though the facelift lights are going cheap as there is no need for them...I have a sneaky suspicion that the European ones have the lever in place.

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2007, 07:48 AM   #6
Gel
Private
Rep

Fixed it now, changed the xenon housings over and the charger modules.
I no longer has the flash to pass but neither do I have the bulb out light and I also have the correct beams

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 10:56 AM   #7
bmz4
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

Hi Gel - was thinking abt doing a similar upgrade to my 2003 3.0i. Just wondering how you have found the new facelift headlamps subsequent to your upgrade? What you mean by xenon housings and charger modules, is it difficult to modify?
Many thanks,
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 02:29 AM   #8
johncunha
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 2.2i Roadster

Simple solution to the flash to pass problem

Hi,

I replaced my pre-faccelift Xenon lights with the newer facelift Bi-Xenons.
I'd done alot of reading on the flash to pass problem and decided to get a used facelift LCM (Light Control Module - the switch where you turn your lights on) on ebay.
Installed the new lights (straight swap) and the LCM (straight swap) and did the recoding using SSS on my laptop.
And that was it... took about two hours

If you need details PM me

John
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 05:33 AM   #9
Mac27040
Rep
Drives: 320d m sport & z4 smg

I have successfully installed facelift headlights to my 2003 z4 3.0i SMG

To get over the flash to pass, i have sat nav and intravee, which now has the flash to pass option for this problem. Alternative if you haven't got sat nav & intravee then get a used facelight LCM, but you need to use PA soft to correct the mileage, them use SSS software retro section to recode car.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 12:00 AM   #10
dwn2thalastroach
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '16 M4

REVIVE!

So what is needed is the LCM, Headlights, and flashing?

What would be needed to flash? never flashed my car before, is the equipment expensive?

or should i save myself the trouble and just get 2005 lights, really want the clear signals and housing. But if i can get angel eyes, i am willing to
Appreciate 0