ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Regional Forums > USA - Great Lakes
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-11-2011, 09:11 AM   #1
ldmmheh
Rep
Drives: none

Looking for Advice on Purchasing Z4 M

Hi. I am new to the forum, and think I am interested in purchasing a low mileage Z4 M as a second car, probably 2006-2008. Is there a particular year that I would do well to avoid? Any tricky mechanical issues I need to be aware of? Any major routine maintenance items that may be expensive to be aware of, such as timing belt, etc? Any issues with the coupe vs the roadster? Other pearls of wisdom would be appreciated... Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 09:30 AM   #2
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

I'd take one for a hard drive, and see if you have any issues shifting 1st to 2nd gear. Some cars' trannies grind there, others don't. No big changes between the years. Soft top is pretty reliable. Every 20-30k miles the valves need an adjustment for maintenence ($400). Brake rotors are pricey

Options wise, I highly recommend one with the "extended leather" option, which really moves it up another category in terms of quality. The easiest way to identify it, is to see if the door panels have stitched leather on them (after practice, you can even see it in small online ad pics)
      04-11-2011, 09:46 AM   #3
ldmmheh
Rep

Exactly the kind of information I'm looking for! Thanks so much for taking the time to respond!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 09:54 AM   #4
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep

I think the hardest decision is gonna be roadster vs coupe. Its a beaten topic here, so its up to you if you want the better lines of the coupe, or you're simply a convertible guy like I am. The coupe is slightly stiffer, but the roadster weighs 60lbs less. Everything else is opinion

Most recommended upgrade is replacing the tires with Dunlop Direzza, Hankook V12, or the new Michellin Pilot Sports. Also, if you think the clutch takeup feels artificial and disconnected, people here get a modified clutch delay valve for $40 to fix that
      04-12-2011, 02:19 AM   #5
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roffle Waffle View Post
The coupe is slightly stiffer...
Err, about twice as stiff? Real world, the roadster is more than rigid enough. I think the roadster is 18,000Nm/degree compared to the Lamborghini Murcielago, which was 20,000Nm/degree. (Which makes the M Coupe's 32kNm/degree even more insane.)
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 09:22 AM   #6
ldmmheh
Rep

Wow! 32000 Nm/degree is impressive rigidity!!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 09:26 AM   #7
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep

thats what SHE said
      04-13-2011, 09:57 AM   #8
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldmmheh View Post
Wow! 32000 Nm/degree is impressive rigidity!!
Very - imo, it's overkill. BMW could have removed the rear bulkhead in the coupe for more seat travel and carga area and still had acceptable rigidity, I suspect, but that was more work than they were willing to put into the project.
Appreciate 0