ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-01-2009, 02:49 AM   #23
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupé - Carbon Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCz04Bimmer View Post
Who said cops need to be scientific about their traffic stops? I'm guessing they'll slap you with reckless driving for accelerating too aggressively...
Nobody is talking about traffic stops.

My question was regarding an infringement notice issued for acceleration that would stand up in a court of law against the offending party.

Just how would you define the term "too aggressive acceleration"? That would be a very ambiguous and imprecise unit of measure thus not submittable as evidence and open to interpretation by the defending parties legal council.

I don't want you to guess an answer, I would like to hear from those that know for a fact.
Nitron NTR R3 | StopTech Trophy Sport STR-60 380x32mm / StopTech Trophy Sport STR-40 355x32mm | Bridgestone RE-71RS | ADV.1 | CDV Delete | TMS Rear Camber Arms | RE Diablo's | 4.10 Gears | Euro Headers | RTD REVO1 Short Shifter
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 06:34 AM   #24
Burt Reynolds
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Here in the US, law varies by state. The police can pull you over for wreckless driving based on subjective measures and win in court. This is fact.
2007 M Coupe w/NAV/Premium/Extended Leather, Clearbra, DICE, 4.10 BMW Motorsport Polished LSD, Active Autowerke Gen IV Headers, Supersprint Race Exhaust and X-Pipe, ESS Tuned DME, KWV3 Coilovers, Volk RE30, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Short Antenna, JL AMP, JL 10W7, Valentine V1.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 08:03 AM   #25
JCz04Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANILE8 View Post
Nobody is talking about traffic stops.

My question was regarding an infringement notice issued for acceleration that would stand up in a court of law against the offending party.

Just how would you define the term "too aggressive acceleration"? That would be a very ambiguous and imprecise unit of measure thus not submittable as evidence and open to interpretation by the defending parties legal council.

I don't want you to guess an answer, I would like to hear from those that know for a fact.
OK. If you accelerate at a rate that is determined by a police officer to be unsafe or reckless, you can be pulled over and cited for reckless driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt Reynolds View Post
Here in the US, law varies by state. The police can pull you over for wreckless driving based on subjective measures and win in court. This is fact.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 08:46 AM   #26
jragan
Imola Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Imola Red M Coupe

The actual offense you all are talking about is "Exhibition and show of excelleration". I know because a friend of mine received a citation for this (specifically spinning his wheels on take off). He took it to the Muni judge (and apparently he got a really good judge) who dismissed the ticket saying "It's every person's red-blooded American right to burn up their tires if they want to as long as they're not a danger to anyone else".

I think the trick in a lot of these is that what it comes down to is safety. If you actually were endangering someone, the police officer should also be writing a citation for "Wreckless Endangerment". If you're not issued one of these tickets, legally, you have some wiggle room for fighting other tickets...
      05-01-2009, 09:38 AM   #27
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Who said cops need to be scientific about their traffic stops? I'm guessing they'll slap you with reckless driving for accelerating too aggressively...
Quote:
OK. If you accelerate at a rate that is determined by a police officer to be unsafe or reckless, you can be pulled over and cited for reckless driving.
Exactly. I think some of the tickets here are BS. I got a ticket for no forward facing license plate... and it was in my windshield with suction cups! It was completely visible, just not on the forward most point of my vehicle... which is crap since motorcycles don't have front plates even... wtf.

Also, my brother got a ticket for running a yellow light or "failure to yield at a yellow". The cop THOUGHT he should have been able to stop... which he might have, but the SUV behind him probably wouldn't have been able to... complete bs sometimes.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 09:43 AM   #28
JCz04Bimmer
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Exactly. I think some of the tickets here are BS. I got a ticket for no forward facing license plate... and it was in my windshield with suction cups! It was completely visible, just not on the forward most point of my vehicle... which is crap since motorcycles don't have front plates even... wtf.

Also, my brother got a ticket for running a yellow light or "failure to yield at a yellow". The cop THOUGHT he should have been able to stop... which he might have, but the SUV behind him probably wouldn't have been able to... complete bs sometimes.
No question a good portion of tickets are totally bogus. I do know that when it comes to yellow lights the general rule of thumb to avoid a ticket is to not increase speed once the light has turned yellow. Maintain or reduce your speed and you won't get cited. And I can say that if an SUV is behind me I will not clamp down on the brakes for a yellow light. In my 330Ci, I got rear-ended by a massive SUV at a light that I didn't even come to a sudden stop at.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 05:03 PM   #29
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANILE8 View Post
What would the traffic charge be...?
In CaleeFORnia, as the gov would say, it would be exhibition of speed. And the courts consider the cops to be speed experts, by virtue of the fact that they are cops who have had cop training. Probably the kind of charge you could get thrown out or reduced fairly easily by showing up in court and being nice to the judge.
      05-01-2009, 05:22 PM   #30
Twisted Six
CarbonFiber Engineer @ ZeroMassMotorsports
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4si-coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragan View Post
The actual offense you all are talking about is "Exhibition and show of excelleration". I know because a friend of mine received a citation for this (specifically spinning his wheels on take off). He took it to the Muni judge (and apparently he got a really good judge) who dismissed the ticket saying "It's every person's red-blooded American right to burn up their tires if they want to as long as they're not a danger to anyone else".

I think the trick in a lot of these is that what it comes down to is safety. If you actually were endangering someone, the police officer should also be writing a citation for "Wreckless Endangerment". If you're not issued one of these tickets, legally, you have some wiggle room for fighting other tickets...
In the Midwest its titled as "Exhibition of speed"...and the speed limit never needs to be obtained to be in violation, nor the tires breaking traction....which lends more to a C&I.

I have a Syclone awd single turbo truck that does 0-60 in 4.3 seconds and does it without breaking traction....but if a cop see you leave a light with that type of launch......he's coming to check things out !

Or at least use it as Probable cause.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 05:23 PM   #31
jragan
Imola Lover
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Schnitzer View Post
In the Midwest its titled as "Exhibition of speed"...and the speed limit never needs to be obtained to be in violation, nor the tires breaking traction....which lends more to a C&I.

I have a Syclone awd single turbo truck that does 0-60 in 4.3 seconds and does it without breaking traction....but if a cop see you leave a light with that type of launch......he's coming to check things out !

Or at least use it as Probable cause.
Oh yeah, I remember the Syclones! A neighbor had one and was melting his hood what seemed like every other week Don't see many of them anymore...
      05-01-2009, 06:22 PM   #32
Twisted Six
CarbonFiber Engineer @ ZeroMassMotorsports
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4si-coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragan View Post
Oh yeah, I remember the Syclones! A neighbor had one and was melting his hood what seemed like every other week Don't see many of them anymore...
They only made 2900 of them back in 91'...here's a pic of mine sitting in Missouri....I'm out in Newport Coast working California areas right now.

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 07:51 PM   #33
Gyrian
3.2 liter grin
Rep
Drives: 2008 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Schnitzer View Post
They only made 2900 of them back in 91'...here's a pic of mine sitting in Missouri....I'm out in Newport Coast working California areas right now.

You've got to love these, if only for the insanity of it!
Wasn't there one based on the Jimmy, also? Hurricane? Another wind, in any case.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2009, 12:46 PM   #34
jragan
Imola Lover
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrian View Post
You've got to love these, if only for the insanity of it!
Wasn't there one based on the Jimmy, also? Hurricane? Another wind, in any case.
Yeah, actually I've only ever seen the Jimmy versions!
      05-02-2009, 10:14 PM   #35
Graham M
I love my Z. Pure sex on wheels.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Is sold, goodbye everyone!

^The SUV version is called the Typhoon. The Truck is called the Syclone. They have the turbo charged 4.3L Vortec. The Typhoons were 4wd, the trucks? I dont know for certain. Yes a mint condition version of either of these will fetch a $15-$35k price tag depending on the condition, options and kilometers. They were a very rare vehicle to start with, and now 15 years later, they're seldomly ever driven, just stored in peoples collections. Yes they were stupidly fast right from the getgo, early 14sec pass times IIRC, bone stock I mean.

To the OP:

Those M70 5.0L V12's are garbage. It doesn't surprise me in the least you ate one. Those cars are quite heavy, and with the (very) lackluster performance you get from that engine (I forget the figures, but they're awful) the outcome doesn't surprise me.
230hp, 350tq IIRC... from a 5.0 V12? I'll pass, thanks, leave alone with its 6000k redline. Such a small displacement per cylinder engine very well can and SHOULD have a much higher redline then that.
      05-02-2009, 11:02 PM   #36
JCz04Bimmer
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham M View Post
Those M70 5.0L V12's are garbage. It doesn't surprise me in the least you ate one. Those cars are quite heavy, and with the (very) lackluster performance you get from that engine (I forget the figures, but they're awful) the outcome doesn't surprise me.
230hp, 350tq IIRC... from a 5.0 V12? I'll pass, thanks, leave alone with its 6000k redline. Such a small displacement per cylinder engine very well can and SHOULD have a much higher redline then that.
There's a great deal of uncertainty when it comes to figuring out what engine an 850Ci has. According to the wiki article on the 8 series, both the M70 and M73 engines were fitted to 850i/Ci's. The M70 had 295hp/330tq. The M73 had 322hp/260tq. Not bad specs, honestly, and while the car certainly suffers from being a bit overweight and has a low redline you can't really criticize that too much given that it was an engine designed in the late 80's. On the other hand, if it was an 850Csi, then it would have an S70 giving it 396hp/410tq which are some damn good numbers. Plus, the S70 equipped 850Csi's were true M-cars.

Interesting stuff. I hadn't know any of this before I started researching the subject. They're not as quick as our cars but comparing an engine designed for a car produced in the early 90's to the S54 is a bit hard! The Ferrari 550 Maranello built in the mid-90s (later than the 850Csi's M70), another V12 equipped GT-supercar, could do 0-60 in 4.2 seconds. The Ferrari 412 is probably the most like-era equivalent to the 850Csi, though, and had an output of 340hp. Not sure on the torque. Its fun looking up "supercars" of that era.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2009, 12:33 PM   #37
Graham M
I love my Z. Pure sex on wheels.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Is sold, goodbye everyone!

^ Thanks for the clarifcation. Yeah the CI's and the CSI's I remember had much better engines. Its been two years since I read up on them, but later lost interest since most people said to go with a SL500 from the same era instead since the 850I is absolutely no comparison.
Thanks for the further info.