ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-22-2009, 11:40 PM   #1
reRESERVEDFX
(oO (||||) (||||) Oo)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW Z4 3.0i 03 BMW M5 DINAN

Need help with AUX DIY

Alright, so I tried searching and tried dealers but no find.

I ordered that little brick looking AUX input that goes under the AC controls + precut piece of plastic. I also got some cable that was supposed to be good. It was a dual male. When I tried connecting it, it turned out perfect being connected to the brick and everything but the other end wouldn't fit the harness. Parts department couldn't find the piece :/

Does anyone know the part number for that little cable that will connect the AUX piece with the radio harness?

Thanks for help!
      04-23-2009, 06:17 AM   #2
caseysc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i Conv.

Garage List
2005 Z4 2.5i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by reRESERVEDFX View Post
Alright, so I tried searching and tried dealers but no find.

I ordered that little brick looking AUX input that goes under the AC controls + precut piece of plastic. I also got some cable that was supposed to be good. It was a dual male. When I tried connecting it, it turned out perfect being connected to the brick and everything but the other end wouldn't fit the harness. Parts department couldn't find the piece :/

Does anyone know the part number for that little cable that will connect the AUX piece with the radio harness?

Thanks for help!
Here you go...

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ight=Z4+Aux+in
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2009, 11:15 PM   #3
reRESERVEDFX
(oO (||||) (||||) Oo)
United_States
Rep

Hey, thanks but I tried and it doesn't work.

Here's the story:

I wanted to do the AUX system that's found in later 07 models and up. I bought necessary parts but couldn't find the cable from AUX IN to RADIO HARNESS.

I decided to buy that Z4 kit from the dealer that goes inside the ash tray compartment. Then, I cut off the wire and connected the harness piece to the wire I already had (Gray, Yellow, Blue)
It turned out that 3/4/10 combination didn't work.
So I decided to run 2/3/4 pin combination. It worked for a little while but then dead again.

What am I doing wrong?? I'm so desperate, I'm probably gonna go to the dealership and look inside one of their cars to get part number.
      04-29-2009, 06:35 AM   #4
caseysc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2005 Z4 2.5i  [8.00]
Quote:
Hey, thanks but I tried and it doesn't work.

Here's the story:

I wanted to do the AUX system that's found in later 07 models and up. I bought necessary parts but couldn't find the cable from AUX IN to RADIO HARNESS.

I decided to buy that Z4 kit from the dealer that goes inside the ash tray compartment. Then, I cut off the wire and connected the harness piece to the wire I already had (Gray, Yellow, Blue)
It turned out that 3/4/10 combination didn't work.
So I decided to run 2/3/4 pin combination. It worked for a little while but then dead again.

What am I doing wrong?? I'm so desperate, I'm probably gonna go to the dealership and look inside one of their cars to get part number.
Sounds like you did not follow the instructions that come with the kit (they were also in the post above). BTW, the part numbers are also in the post I referenced. Did you read down far enough in the post to get all of the info?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 09:19 AM   #5
reRESERVEDFX
(oO (||||) (||||) Oo)
United_States
Rep

I got all the info. Also, remember that I tried modifying the original kit with the cable I already had so that it would plug into the harness.
      04-29-2009, 10:34 AM   #6
caseysc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2005 Z4 2.5i  [8.00]
Quote:
I got all the info. Also, remember that I tried modifying the original kit with the cable I already had so that it would plug into the harness.
I believe that therein is your problem. I suggest you start from scratch using the instruction provided and a new, compatible cable.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 12:43 PM   #7
reRESERVEDFX
(oO (||||) (||||) Oo)
United_States
Rep

Well that won't work because I don't want to use the ashtray design aux input. I want to do it the way 2007s and up are.
      04-29-2009, 02:24 PM   #8
caseysc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2005 Z4 2.5i  [8.00]
Quote:
Well that won't work because I don't want to use the ashtray design aux input. I want to do it the way 2007s and up are.
Understood. The post I referenced was from Ron Stygar who owns an '07 MC. The first part of the post is with respect to the '07 aux-in connection. The BMW instructions included later in the post are for pre-'07 BMWs. You have to put the two together to accomplish your goal.

But, enough of this pointless dialog. Take it by the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 07:04 PM   #9
reRESERVEDFX
(oO (||||) (||||) Oo)
United_States
Rep

Alright, so I got the cable. The legit one and it still doesn't work. Would it be possible that because I was messing around with all that I could've fried something? I mean everything is perfect and I put both things together as well. It still doesn't work... I'm probably gonna have to take it to the dealer :/