ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-20-2017, 08:53 PM   #23
conceptautogroupla
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

Headers are in!!! and apparently it's a 3.5". I must say the quality is AMAZING!! It comes with 2 o2 sensor bungs but no EGT sensor bung =( so additional modifications will be neccessary unless you eliminate the EGT and other 2 o2 sensors. As far as install, I will be attempting it next week either Monday or Tuesday. Stay tuned, Cheers!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      07-20-2017, 09:39 PM   #24
ZeD4Mr
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Skyer Z4MR

They look awesome! How will this mount to section 1?:

FB Group-- > fb.com/groups/z4group
Instagram --> @Skyermotorsport
FB Page-- > fb.com/Skyermotorsport
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 09:46 PM   #25
conceptautogroupla
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeD4Mr View Post
Either we will have to make a custom section 1, which I will be doing after ARH told me to or they will have to find a test car and do it for us which I kinda doubt. But we'll see after I test fit it and confirm everything with them.

Last edited by conceptautogroupla; 07-21-2017 at 04:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 02:15 AM   #26
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
Space to run the 3" all the way back?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeD4Mr View Post

Pffff ... Just run it out the sil panel like DTM!
      07-21-2017, 05:16 AM   #27
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Why was no egt bung welded on? Thats the one thing that you DO need. Looks awesome though

Last edited by Vanne; 07-21-2017 at 05:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 06:04 AM   #28
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

The EGT can go in section 1 as in the euro setup.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 09:20 AM   #29
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
Thanks. Any functional reason that after joining these pulses the exhaust is then split into two for a dual exhaust setup? Seems like the "performance" setup would be to keep it at a single exhaust.
NO point in splitting it again if you don't have to. I'd imagine there is enough space to run a single pipe all the way back.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 04:38 AM   #30
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

But this replaces the section 1 I though Ian? Isn't this a combo of headers and section 1??
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 07:10 AM   #31
bananabun
Captain
Rep
Drives: E86 M, E92 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanne View Post
But this replaces the section 1 I though Ian? Isn't this a combo of headers and section 1??
That's how it's supposed to be, just like the E46 setup from ARH. I think they haven't developed the section 1 for our cars yet since they don't know if the headers will fit. Let's see if we can convince them to do a headers+section1 once the test fitment is done...
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 01:31 PM   #32
RossBMWZseries
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 328i LCI & '06 Z4MR

Garage List
The whole idea of this was supposed to have a ONE (1) piece which consists of the headers attached to the S-Pipe. At the last minute, they only made the headers. Which now ConceptAutoGroup has to make a custom S-Pipe AND make a EGT bung. Pricey headers + custom work + which guarantees no results (yet) is a big NO for me. Unless the whole piece is made and shows a nice bump on HP/TQ, then I might consider it.
2013 BMW S1000RR K46 R.I.P.
1998 BMW Z3 Roadster 1.9L E36 SOLD
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 09:54 PM   #33
conceptautogroupla
Banned
United_States
Rep

So, today I installed the ARH. I must say, they are a PITA compared to other headers due to the one piece design. Here's the summary.

IT RUBS BADLY on the transmission, so I had to hammer it down quite a bit. Right where the collector is. Also, the oil return pipe DOES NOT fit in it's original position, I had to to bend it and not use 1 of the bolts that mounts from the center. I will confirm if it's still rubbing the headers tomorrow as I am super exhausted... Also, you have to slightly reshape the heat shields around the exhaust area and control arm. The 3.5" exit is super close to the tunnel but it can work. I will be connecting my custom Section 1 to the OEM X-pipe Thursday (waiting on some exhaust parts). I will be adding 2 AR25 resonators to it to kill off all the rasp that it will have and to quite it down as well. I will post pictures once that is complete. Feel free to ask questions as I'm sure I left some stuff out. Cheers
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 01:40 PM   #34
Shutterspeed
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptautogroupla View Post
So, today I installed the ARH. I must say, they are a PITA compared to other headers due to the one piece design. Here's the summary.

IT RUBS BADLY on the transmission, so I had to hammer it down quite a bit. Right where the collector is. Also, the oil return pipe DOES NOT fit in it's original position, I had to to bend it and not use 1 of the bolts that mounts from the center. I will confirm if it's still rubbing the headers tomorrow as I am super exhausted... Also, you have to slightly reshape the heat shields around the exhaust area and control arm. The 3.5" exit is super close to the tunnel but it can work. I will be connecting my custom Section 1 to the OEM X-pipe Thursday (waiting on some exhaust parts). I will be adding 2 AR25 resonators to it to kill off all the rasp that it will have and to quite it down as well. I will post pictures once that is complete. Feel free to ask questions as I'm sure I left some stuff out. Cheers
Damn for the price I was expecting a much better initial review.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 04:34 PM   #35
WeekendWarriorz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutterspeed View Post
Damn for the price I was expecting a much better initial review.
Yeah this sounds like you need to do more modification to them than the eBay headers...
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 08:21 AM   #36
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

I would assume they would want to see where all the interference is and try to do better on the 2nd go around? Seems like you make it fit with hammering the areas down and then send it back to them and they have good idea what needs to change on the 2nd one?

Maybe this would work with pictures but might be difficult.
      07-27-2017, 11:55 AM   #37
conceptautogroupla
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
I would assume they would want to see where all the interference is and try to do better on the 2nd go around? Seems like you make it fit with hammering the areas down and then send it back to them and they have good idea what needs to change on the 2nd one?

Maybe this would work with pictures but might be difficult.
Even if they redesign thr collector, it doesn't clear or even have room for the oil return pipe. Only way to make it fit properly would be to completely redesign the header and cut off a section of the one peice flange rack. I obviously will be working with them to see if they will do it. But my priority now is getting a way with the oil return pipe and make it safe for the car IF possible. Also see how it does completely mounted.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 09:48 PM   #38
conceptautogroupla
Banned
United_States
Rep

Hey guys,
So I completed my "temporary" section one today. Still need to weld in bungs for the rear 02 sensors and EGT sensor. Also might change up the design for better flow etc not sure yet. Anyways all is well with the current set up in terms of driving and power gains are very obvious. Please don't ask for sound videos cause the car has OEM mufflers at the moment so its silent. =( Here's a few pics of the set up. I'm still working on trying to get the oil return pipe set up properly. Cheers

(p.s. I forgot to take pics when I completed the welding and pipes etc, but I'll snap a few more when I lift it up to install aftermarket mufflers)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 08:49 PM   #39
WeekendWarriorz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M

Looks badass man
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 09:32 PM   #40
tominizer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Roadster

Curious ....... when they designed and made these, did they not check the design and fitment??? I'd find it odd that it would be conflicting with other components on the car so significantly. QA/QC seems to be missing here ......
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 09:51 PM   #41
ZeD4Mr
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Skyer Z4MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tominizer
Curious ....... when they designed and made these, did they not check the design and fitment??? I'd find it odd that it would be conflicting with other components on the car so significantly. QA/QC seems to be missing here ......
It was designed for E46M3. One piece all the way back. With our small production numbers, we try what we can.

FB Group-- > fb.com/groups/z4group
Instagram --> @Skyermotorsport
FB Page-- > fb.com/Skyermotorsport
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 03:15 PM   #42
GQM
The Slip Angle
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 ///M Coupe

Garage List
Has there been any updates with these? I would be in for a group buy on a revised version and section 1 to fit the Z4M.
2007 BMW Z4 ///M Coupe | 1993 Mazda RX-7 Turbocharged 417 whp | 1999 Mazda Miata All Motor 185 whp | 1991 Mazda Miata N/A 13b PPort | 2003 Honda S2000 All Motor 238 whp | 2006 Mazda RX-8 | 1998 Lexus LX470 | www.instagram.com/garagequinnmotors
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 05:22 PM   #43
bananabun
Captain
Rep
Drives: E86 M, E92 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQM View Post
Has there been any updates with these? I would be in for a group buy on a revised version and section 1 to fit the Z4M.
When I spoke with Nick from ARH, I got the feeling that he'd make minor adjustments if the fit was nearly there. From reading conceptautogroupla's posts, however, it seems that the fit is pretty bad for our cars. I knew the section 1's wouldn't fit anyway, since they are a different design for the E46.

I can ask ARH if we can get headers only, or if they'll consider doing a set for us from the ground up. I doubt he's gonna do it for a small audience, though.

I'll let conceptautogroupla also respond, since he had taken over the communication with ARH at some point.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2017, 12:14 AM   #44
tikamak
Captain
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Roadster TiAG/black

Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptautogroupla View Post

A big no no for a street car from my POV
Appreciate 0