ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-18-2010, 08:31 PM   #1
FerRrari
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Catrinel Menghia

A/C blowing only hot air?

Has anyone experienced their A/C only blowing really hot air even if the temp is set all the way to cold? It has happened twice with my Roadster but it goes away after a while so the dealer cannot reproduce the issue.
'07 IR/SBL ///M Roadster (GONE), '08 Tornado Red Triumph Daytona (GONE), '09 BRG/Cloth 6MT MINI Cooper S (Spontaneously Combusted), '06 IR/IR ///M3 Convertible 6MT (GONE), '04 JB/CR Z4 2.5i SMG (GONE)
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 09:17 PM   #2
rps
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1

Had the same problem, they wound up replacing the entire climate control assembly.
      11-19-2010, 06:00 AM   #3
Flying Scotsman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 2.5L

Hedgehog
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2010, 08:49 AM   #4
NEKO
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 X6, 2019 X1

When my battery died over the winter time I had to have my A/C and the windows automatic function reset. The battery drained twice from a lack of driving and I had to have it reset each time. Not sure if this will help since the problem clears up on its own and then returns.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2010, 10:15 AM   #5
wildag
///M'n it Up
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 ///M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerRrari View Post
Has anyone experienced their A/C only blowing really hot air even if the temp is set all the way to cold? It has happened twice with my Roadster but it goes away after a while so the dealer cannot reproduce the issue.
I had the exact same issue. Took my car to the dealer several times when the issue reared its ugly head, but of course they were always busy with no immediate availability. And when I took the car back, they couldn't reproduce the issue, even though the service advisor had seen it in person several times.

In the process of taking "pot shot" attempts at fixing this problem, they replaced the IHK module and down graded the firmware on that module. That didn't have any affect on the problem.

They finally fixed the issue by replacing the stepper motors that control the air vent flaps under the dash. They found that the passenger side foot well flapper motor was completely worn and shorted. The problem has not returned since.

The explanation of the problem is pretty straight forward. When the the IHK (A/C module) detects that its unable to control any one part of the A/C system, it goes into a "safety mode". The safety mode is hot air only, with all possible flaps pushing air to the windshield, and manual control of the fan. This ensures that you can drive the car in icy conditions.

What I deduced after having the issue fixed is that in fact, its very easy for a technician to find the logs of this occurring in the IHK. But because the techs either don't know about it, or are too lazy to try it, the simple diagnosis is done.

I've read of several others on other forums having this problem, and at least two of those were also fixed by replacing the passenger side foot well vent flap motor.

I believe the part they replaced was number 3 in the following diagram.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...81&hg=64&fg=45

Last edited by wildag; 11-20-2010 at 10:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2010, 07:27 PM   #6
cabro
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW Z4 SDrive35is

Happened to me. Had to get the A/C compressor replaced.
Appreciate 0