ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-30-2014, 01:27 PM   #23
AmmarYasirA
Ammar
United_States
Rep
Drives: a lot

Lol. I don't really think THAT many people care about the season for buying a convertible... I mean.. I bought mine in November.....or maybe it's just me that's the crazy one
      08-30-2014, 07:13 PM   #24
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by strokeoluck
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkle View Post
For the reasons used Porsche prices are sky rocketing, it seems like the same should be happening with our generation of Ms. People feel like it's their last chance to get a real car: raw, simple, analogue, manual, normally aspirated. The Z4M is all of that, but I guess it doesn't strike the right chord with that sector, and apparently a used Porsche is the answer.
That's what I felt when I purchased the car. It's sort of a combination between a muscle car (brute power), a great road car, striking appearance and an analog car in a digital world. Ironically I had a relatively "old" guy interested in my car several weeks ago. He was a real car guy and had owned a number of nice, European go-fast cars. He asked me why I, in my mid-40's, didn't own a fast car with an automatic or paddle-shifters. He said that's what most younger people go for these days. I shared my sentiments with him on what I appreciated in a car, and a few days later he - this 60-something guy - told me he was going with a Porsche with paddle shifters.

WTH?! I feel like I'm a dying breed. My teenage kids have no desire to even learn how to drive a manual transmission, and none of their friends own a car with a stick. Shameful.
At least you don't have to worry about them "borrowing" the car. I don't think I would have survived my teenage years with access to a Z4M.

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2014, 08:23 AM   #25
johno8888
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M

Prices

I just bought my '06 Z4MR w/5,300 miles for 31k,plus a $250 inspection, plus $700 covered transport to New York. Changed the brake fluid and oil and put on new Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires. With tax I'm all in at 35K. Definitely overpaid but I don't miss that extra $ in my bank account.

Find the right buyer in the spring and they will pay.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2014, 02:08 PM   #26
doozyj
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by johno8888 View Post
I just bought my '06 Z4MR w/5,300 miles for 31k,plus a $250 inspection, plus $700 covered transport to New York. Changed the brake fluid and oil and put on new Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires. With tax I'm all in at 35K. Definitely overpaid but I don't miss that extra $ in my bank account.

Find the right buyer in the spring and they will pay.
At that mileage, you didn't over pay at all. Enthusuasts Auto would have easily sold that car for $37K.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2014, 02:45 PM   #27
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep
Drives: 330iZHP

I think buying from Enthusiast is overpaying unless you're rolling in money and just want to make damn sure you're getting absolutely the best without having to do your homework and due diligence. Just like buying a Land Rover, vintage Mercedes or classic exotic from Copley.
      09-01-2014, 04:00 PM   #28
doozyj
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by itdnwiwbp View Post
I think buying from Enthusiast is overpaying unless you're rolling in money and just want to make damn sure you're getting absolutely the best without having to do your homework and due diligence. Just like buying a Land Rover, vintage Mercedes or classic exotic from Copley.
You said it, if you want the best.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2014, 04:33 PM   #29
tiltmode43
I plead the 5th.
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Frontier Pro-4X, '06 Z4MR

It's all the Vanos & rod bearing threads scaring people away

In all reality, all cars have a (virtually) finite bottom-out price that they'll end up at. Some cars begin to recover from there, but in longer periods of time. Given the fantastic S54 motor and limited availability, I don't think Z4M and Z4MC will dip down incredibly low.

OP - The way I see it is now is the time to get into one of these cars. Wait any longer and they'll be 10+ years old with higher mileage, which is OK, but I don't know if I could see myself purchasing a car with 6 digits on the clock. Right now they aren't quite there yet, though the price has seen a bit of a dip. Your answer lies below...

| Z4M Build Thread | @violetnites | flickr |
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 02:53 PM   #30
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: various bmw's

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH32335i View Post
The car below was originally listed over a year ago at $29,995.

I know of one with 17k miles on it that sold for $24k. That is one heckuva deal.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...hRadius=0&mmt=[BMW[BMWROAD[]][]]&listingId=354191954&Log=0
what should this car sell for? I casually looked at it today, I've been looking at sub 10k z4's as I want a convert but I have no real need for another car as my 135i is my toy. I just wanted to get a cheap vert for those nice days when I need to go to town for something. If these z4m's are nearly done depreciating I can probably justify the price to myself. I think nice z3's are done depreciating and early z4's are about there too.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 03:26 PM   #31
gas-can
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 3.0i Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokeoluck View Post

WTH?! I feel like I'm a dying breed. My teenage kids have no desire to even learn how to drive a manual transmission, and none of their friends own a car with a stick. Shameful.
I understand what you mean but all is not lost! I'm 25 for example and love sticks and know plenty of people my age and younger that actually still want to learn to drive sticks- it's just they don't have access to them or are scared of them. But no doubt there are plenty that aren't interested- hard to do your hair or text while you are on a stick.

It really is the simpleness of these cars that make them so great to me- no fancy computers- just a great little engine, nice slick gearbox, and looks that are quite different from most others on the road.

-gc
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 03:48 PM   #32
RADRACR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Z4 M Coupé // '09 X5 d

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltmode43 View Post
OP - The way I see it is now is the time to get into one of these cars. Wait any longer and they'll be 10+ years old with higher mileage, which is OK, but I don't know if I could see myself purchasing a car with 6 digits on the clock
You can always rebuild the motor if you want the car bad enough and the price is right.
'08 Z4 ///M Coupé (#1765/1815) — 1 of 68 Sepang Bronze / Black Nappa / Madeira Wood / 1 of 1 this combo
19" Advan RS / AP Racing / Bridgestone RE-11 / Autosolutions SSK / R.E. Diablo / R.E. trans mounts
'09 X5 35dSpace Grey / Saddle Brown
20" Forgestar F14 / SCR Delete
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 08:18 AM   #33
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by itdnwiwbp View Post
I almost bought a car from them when I was looking. I didn't like the interior trim of the car they had but otherwise it looked great. Big part of my reason for considering one from them was they are about 15 minutes from my house. I ended up buying a car in Boston and driving it back to Cincinnati. Added cost and hassle of this made considering local a lot more inviting (if I had paid $2k more from them and avoided the $1k in travel costs and hassle I would have done it). I also think there is some room for negotiation so worth talking to them if they have the car you want.
      09-06-2014, 05:52 PM   #34
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: various bmw's

I tried to buy the car linked above today, they say "we are a high volume dealer" and will not budge on price so we left

The car has a few scratches around the trunk, a big chip on the trunk, swirl marks, rims loosing clearcoat or stained from lack of cleaning. The seats have tears where they have been pushed back into the rollbar. There's a nasty break in the plastic behind passenger seat, and a crack between drivers seat

engine hunted bad and long cranked but may just have been old gas, it drove nice but they would only come 500 off the price, we were prepared to buy today but they just wont budge and it's got too many issues for a price that high
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 08:02 PM   #35
Spaceman Spiff
Captain
Rep
Drives: R8, 996 C2, Z4MR (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltmode43 View Post
It's all the Vanos & rod bearing threads scaring people away
What are these issues exactly? I am in the market for one and this makes me nervous!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 10:12 PM   #36
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff View Post
What are these issues exactly? I am in the market for one and this makes me nervous!
I wouldn't worry much. For all the thousands of these cars on the road, you only hear the horror stories. Every car and every engine has its issues. If you keep an eye on them, there is nothing to worry about. Just run some searches through these forums, and you'll find out everything you need to know.
Appreciate 0