ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-05-2014, 12:27 PM   #23
cogriff
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC

Garage List
2014 Audi  [0.00]
2006 BMW Z4MC  [9.00]
1977 Honda CB750K  [0.00]
2007 Kawasaki ZX6-R  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incompatible View Post
Please excuse the poor quality cell phone pic. 5/8" thick ABS contoured to match underside of facelift bumper. White spots around attachment holes are primer layer I used for markup purposes and finished with layer of black.

The extensions work great for protecting your bumper underside and can be varied in thickness for your ride height and road conditions. I currently have 1/4" thick pieces on mine due to a steep driveway. The nice thing about DIY is you can profile and size as you wish.
That is a great DIY! what tools did you use to cut and shape the pieces? I would think the initial rough cut would be easy on say a band saw but the contouring and shaping seems like the harder thing, especially to have both sides the same. did you just shape them by hand or belt sanding?

Could you take me through what you mean by a primer layer used for markup purposes?

thanks,
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 03:29 PM   #24
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 AW Z4C 3.0Si

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogriff View Post
Could you take me through what you mean by a primer layer used for markup purposes?
LOL, Glad to.
Make a cardboard pattern and leave it approximately 1/4" oversize if this is your first attempt at fit/shape type work, if you're good with your hands closer means less material removal but greater chance of fitting error. Spray ABS with white primer or cover in white masking tape and transfer pattern to surface. (Tape can lift and pull if you're not careful.) Cut with band saw. Use factory attachment screw holes in corners, locate and drill additional (small) attachment holes in extension and bumper underside lip. Enlarge holes in extension for screw clearance and attach to bumper. See note below. Once you have the attachment points completed and the extension attached, trace a direct outline of the bumper on the extension and trim to preference. When finished, finish sand, prime and paint to color of choice. I used a disc sander for beveling the front lip and sides. The rough cut pattern can be used for both sides, keep in mind that these are mirror image pieces.

Note: You can attach extension to bumper with sheet metal screws into the plastic of the bumper. If you want a more solid and durable attachment, pull the front bumper and use T Nuts or something similar on the back side. A T Nut or similar (attaches to the bumper) allows for removal and reattachment of the extension without removing the front bumper.
      09-06-2014, 08:01 PM   #25
cogriff
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC

Garage List
2014 Audi  [0.00]
2006 BMW Z4MC  [9.00]
1977 Honda CB750K  [0.00]
2007 Kawasaki ZX6-R  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incompatible View Post
LOL, Glad to.
Make a cardboard pattern and leave it approximately 1/4" oversize if this is your first attempt at fit/shape type work, if you're good with your hands closer means less material removal but greater chance of fitting error. Spray ABS with white primer or cover in white masking tape and transfer pattern to surface. (Tape can lift and pull if you're not careful.) Cut with band saw. Use factory attachment screw holes in corners, locate and drill additional (small) attachment holes in extension and bumper underside lip. Enlarge holes in extension for screw clearance and attach to bumper. See note below. Once you have the attachment points completed and the extension attached, trace a direct outline of the bumper on the extension and trim to preference. When finished, finish sand, prime and paint to color of choice. I used a disc sander for beveling the front lip and sides. The rough cut pattern can be used for both sides, keep in mind that these are mirror image pieces.

Note: You can attach extension to bumper with sheet metal screws into the plastic of the bumper. If you want a more solid and durable attachment, pull the front bumper and use T Nuts or something similar on the back side. A T Nut or similar (attaches to the bumper) allows for removal and reattachment of the extension without removing the front bumper.

This is really great, thanks so much. I'm totally doing this!

I'll post along the way here....
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 01:39 PM   #26
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 AW Z4C 3.0Si

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogriff View Post
This is really great, thanks so much. I'm totally doing this!

I'll post along the way here....
Yes, pics are mandatory!