ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-08-2010, 07:39 AM   #23
Ubermensch
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: white 07 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexstrafer View Post
Do you mean the mount point of the strut brace? My car has developed a rattle as well and my strut bar nuts are all fully tight...going nuts trying to track it down.
Correct the mounting point of the strut brace at the firewall. I swore mine were tight but they weren't, so if I were you I would just get in there and torque down the braces.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2010, 06:33 PM   #24
apexstrafer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Found the culprit... Broken strut brace mount on the driver's side. Verified with a drive down the street with the braces removed; no more noise.

I think I know when it broke; I recently hit a nasty bump on the freeway, which also bent my driver's side front wheel on the inboard side.

Anyone know if there'd be any ill effects to driving around with the braces removed for a few days? I won't have time to get that crack welded for another week or so and my M is my DD. Not sure if the un-braced strut towers will flex too much on the crappy roads here in LA, potentially weakening something major.
Attached Images

08-08-2010, 07:03 PM   #25
Z4Murder
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: > speed limit

I'd say you'd be safe if you stay away from aggressive driving/ potholes and such while they are removed
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2010, 07:32 PM   #26
Ron Stygar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Found the culprit... Broken strut brace mount on the driver's side. Verified with a drive down the street with the braces removed; no more noise.

I think I know when it broke; I recently hit a nasty bump on the freeway, which also bent my driver's side front wheel on the inboard side.

Anyone know if there'd be any ill effects to driving around with the braces removed for a few days? I won't have time to get that crack welded for another week or so and my M is my DD. Not sure if the un-braced strut towers will flex too much on the crappy roads here in LA, potentially weakening something major.
Bulletin 41 01 07

http://bimmerfest.com/forums/showpos...36&postcount=1
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 12:38 PM   #27
apexstrafer
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks Ron. Maybe a dumb question, but is does BMW honor TSBs on out of warranty cars?
      08-09-2010, 04:34 PM   #28
Ron Stygar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Maybe a dumb question, but is does BMW honor TSBs on out of warranty cars?
Mention the bulletin and ask them. See what they say.
I would think that they would.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 08:15 PM   #29
apexstrafer
First Lieutenant
Rep

Dealer was 100% useless. Had an appointment and they wasted 45 minutes of my time BEFORE telling me there's no way BMW will cover it out of warranty and they won't let a tech peek at it to give even ballpark estimate without charging me $150 first. Worst service writer of all time...

Has ANYONE had this fixed before? I think I'm just going to take it to a local indie shop and have the broken mount welded.
      03-19-2011, 04:10 PM   #30
boondocksaint
Penfold, shush!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC

The plastic nav in my M buzzes like crazy sometimes, usually under low RPM loads. Engine mount bolts loose, maybe? Strut braces are the old style, but they're German tight.

Thoughts? It's not a rattle. It's literally a buzzing sound.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 04:40 PM   #31
bigjet
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW Z4

no one could figure out the cracking noise. Changed the front bushings but the problem was fixed by re-torquing the brace struts. Problem fixed.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 05:51 PM   #32
ferrarif1
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F85, G05, E46M3

On mine, I found the plastic directly under the dash by the pedals had popped out of it's holder on the left side and would rattle over bumps, 10 seconds to pop it back in place and all is well!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 01:49 PM   #33
Slip
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 E85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubermensch View Post
My Z4M has started this nasty rattle that sounds like its coming from between the gauge cluster and the firewall. Literally happens at any speed, any road condition...hell it will happen just cranking the wheel hard. Nothing feels loose. Any ideas?
Had a rattle on my Z4 which sounded like it came from behind instrument cluster and only occurred when riding over bumps. Sounded like a small tambourine or a loose bag of pencils. I took the dash apart, fitted padding around all contact points but rattle still there. Then I flicked the sun visor back and the rattle appeared. Turned out to be the guide for the roof hook was rattling. This could occur on either side of the car and could be the cause of all of those cannot find rattles. I fitted a small piece of foam and hay presto rattle gone. easy way to check if this is your rattle lower the roof and tap the locking point. Hope this helps...
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 10:21 PM   #34
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slip View Post
Had a rattle on my Z4 which sounded like it came from behind instrument cluster and only occurred when riding over bumps. Sounded like a small tambourine or a loose bag of pencils. I took the dash apart, fitted padding around all contact points but rattle still there. Then I flicked the sun visor back and the rattle appeared. Turned out to be the guide for the roof hook was rattling. This could occur on either side of the car and could be the cause of all of those cannot find rattles. I fitted a small piece of foam and hay presto rattle gone. easy way to check if this is your rattle lower the roof and tap the locking point. Hope this helps...
I assume you read the whole thread? His issue was traced the strut brace mount. This thread is also 4yrs old... Good info to add about the visor though.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2014, 01:39 PM   #35
Slip
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 E85

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
I assume you read the whole thread? His issue was traced the strut brace mount. This thread is also 4yrs old... Good info to add about the visor though.
Thought I would just share some info but if it taken like this then I don't think I'll bother in future if all on this forum as condescending in their comments !
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 01:20 PM   #36
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slip View Post
Thought I would just share some info but if it taken like this then I don't think I'll bother in future if all on this forum as condescending in their comments !
Not being condescending. Just pointing out the issue had been solved. Your comment seemed directed to the OP as if he had not figured it out yet. As I said in my comments to you, thanks for adding your info as someone may experience the same rattle you had.
Appreciate 0