ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-13-2014, 06:23 AM   #23
lsz4
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4 6.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2skiddy View Post
Hi, What a great project, I wanted to do one years back, but knew there was a lot of fabricating to do to get the body to sit correctly with suspension etc. Fantastic looking car always, the GTR. As for suspension, have you thought of Intrax, would a set from an E46 M3 maybe fit, although the front arms and hubs would need to be swapped over. Not sure if Studie in Japan went that route, maybe worth asking? How did you find the quality of the bodykit, as I know of someone over here in the UK after one?
Cheers
Hi unless your prepared to modify everything I wouldn't recommend using the gtr kit from flossmann, Don't expect it to be OEM quality as far as aftermarket kits go the quality is really good fitment is fairly good but there is a lot of fabrication to mount the front bar also a heap of finishing to bring it up to a paintable standard. the main issue is the wheel gap this kit is designed for monocock or tube frames where the car is 60mm off the deck its just not possible to get it low enough with the standard suspension without stuffing the roll centre.

If you like the kit but want to keep you suspension usable I recommend
http://www.carbon-goeke.de
Kit has extra material in the wheel arch and the quality of his work looks better than flossmann from the photos he sent me, also his kit bolts up to your standard mounting points. The guy from goeke can't recall his name was really helpful answered all emails no problem I'll defiantly use him after I plough this into a wall.

As far as the suspension goes Cusco were full of shit those guys couldn't organise their underwear draw. I now have ohlins in the UK building me a set of 3 way adjustable mcphersons
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 07:54 AM   #24
Psychodo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 Boxster S

Whoa...that is going to look awesome !
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 03:37 PM   #25
2skiddy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Hi, You are spot on with the bodykit not fitting the standard chassis. I did my homework early on and realised that the kit won't fit unless major body shell fabrication is carried out. Looks like you are well on the way to making it all work correctly, which is great, otherwise it kind of looks wrong. When I had my Z4MC GT4 track car, I really wanted the GTR look as it was narrow bodied, but the more I delved into it the more I knew it would result in a total rebuild, so took the plunge with a factory VLN GTR shell and carbon body, and sold the GT4 car. This has saved a lot of fabrication time although there is still a lot to do as none of the series suspension will fit due to the bespoke construction. Mine will be a 2 year project, I hope your's will be done sooner.
Cheers
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 03:58 AM   #26
2skiddy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Hi lsz4, Any more progress, I love ambitious projects!
Cheers
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 09:09 PM   #27
v8z4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 roadster

Looks like his might be done before mine. Here's my update:

The motor is mounted (Motor plates are in, welded, and I have test fit all of the accessories). I have started laying out the wiring to make the wiring harness, but don't want to spend $500 on injectors yet so I'm focusing on building rather than buying right now. I'm currently in the process of building tubular front lower controls arms (driver's side is done, need to build the passenger's) so I can get the 1-7/8" headers finished. Progress has been slowed, but I will perverse! lol

Front plate:

Mid plate:

Overall:

Front control arm bushing replacement (3/4" rod end threaded into milled steel block):

Porsche 996 calipers, CSL rotors, and tubular control arm:

Front tubular control arm:
      05-20-2014, 12:25 AM   #28
Woots
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4///M Roadster

Awesome!!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 06:42 PM   #29
jra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2005 z4

Nice!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 07:11 PM   #30
Nate4641
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 M Roadster

Garage List
Looking pretty sick!
      05-21-2014, 05:04 AM   #31
lsz4
Enlisted Member
Rep

progress

v8z4 can defiantly appreciate the work, its not as easy as some would think

different solution to the front engine mounts also.

I am more or less done have 2 more plates to make for drivers footwell and trunk floor. remove motor, start paint process bout 2 weeks solid work if we can find the time. haven't touched it for last 5-6 weeks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 08:06 AM   #32
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Sakhir M3 ZCP

You installed the steering wheel on the wrong side!

But really, really great work. Can't wait to hear these bad boys fired up!!!
      05-21-2014, 10:20 AM   #33
v8z4
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007MCoupe View Post
You installed the steering wheel on the wrong side!
hehe, might want to fix the steering wheel location before you get too far along

How did you do your trans mount (do you have a good shot of the mount in the car)? Is your shifter mounted to the tunnel or the trans? If mounted to the tunnel, what trans are you using?

I see what looks like a small surge take for the fuel system. Are you using the factory pump to pump out of the fuel tank (to the surge tank) and then an external pump to pull from the surge tank to the engine?
      05-21-2014, 01:50 PM   #34
lsz4
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8z4 View Post
hehe, might want to fix the steering wheel location before you get too far along

How did you do your trans mount (do you have a good shot of the mount in the car)? Is your shifter mounted to the tunnel or the trans? If mounted to the tunnel, what trans are you using?

I see what looks like a small surge take for the fuel system. Are you using the factory pump to pump out of the fuel tank (to the surge tank) and then an external pump to pull from the surge tank to the engine?
Trans is 6 speed t56 with ripshift race shifter is mounted to both the trans and trans tunnel. Fuel cell is JAZ item and now located in the trunk, small pump feeds surge tank single bosch 044 feeds the engine.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 04:00 PM   #35
v8z4
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsz4 View Post
Trans is 6 speed t56 with ripshift race shifter is mounted to both the trans and trans tunnel.
Wait, what? You can't hard mount the shifter to both the trans and the tunnel, you will snap something (likely the tail shaft housing).
      05-21-2014, 04:13 PM   #36
lsz4
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Wait, what? You can't hard mount the shifter to both the trans and the tunnel, you will snap something (likely the tail shaft housing).
Mount to tunnel floats inside rubber boot it's not solid
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 04:15 PM   #37
v8z4
Private First Class
Rep

Oh okay, that makes more sense. Is your engine/trans on poly or solid mounts?
      05-21-2014, 05:10 PM   #38
Z4Murder
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: > speed limit

awesome!!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 02:44 AM   #39
lsz4
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Oh okay, that makes more sense. Is your engine/trans on poly or solid mounts?
I used the standard rubber mounts from the donor car and fabricated new brackets to pick them up on the engine and body also had to remove a big piece of the tunnel to get the trans in though.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 02:48 AM   #40
v8z4
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsz4 View Post
I used the standard rubber mounts from the donor car and fabricated new brackets to pick them up on the engine and body also had to remove a big piece of the tunnel to get the trans in though.
Did you cut the firewall to move your motor back? I didn't have to modify the tunnel at all to get my trans in so I'm curious what the difference is.
      12-13-2015, 01:36 AM   #41
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

wow.. hanging on for more updates...