ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-08-2015, 08:17 PM   #1
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i 6spd

Oil leak?

I noticed a burning smell coming into my cabin so I pulled over. Smelled like burning 12V wires at first, but a bit more foul. I opened the hood and noticed a puff of white smoke coming out from the engine where I circled the picture. I'm assuming it's leaking oil that's being burned off? I've never actually smelled burning oil, so I don't know what it's supposed to smell like. The puff of white smoke is visible for about 2 seconds every minute or so. Would this indicate a leak in the valve cover gasket or the oil filter housing gasket?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 09:11 PM   #2
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Classic valve cover leak point. Oil filter housing is on the other side of the engine so you don't get much oil burning from it leaking, just lots of oil everywhere.
      12-08-2015, 09:48 PM   #3
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Maybe some of the excess Armorall dripped onto the exhaust manifold

Seriously though, I just replaced a valve cover gasket on a 525i that was leaking and burning oil when it dripped on the exhaust manifold in the same area. It's an easy job, I recommend doing the spark plugs at the same time if needed since they're easily accessible while the coil packs are out. I also recommend using a BMW gasket set and bolt seals. If you have high mileage (100k) rebuild the VANOS since it's right there.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 10:02 PM   #4
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright View Post
Classic valve cover leak point. Oil filter housing is on the other side of the engine so you don't get much oil burning from it leaking, just lots of oil everywhere.
Thanks, this is good news. Just what I wanted to hear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
Maybe some of the excess Armorall dripped onto the exhaust manifold

Seriously though, I just replaced a valve cover gasket on a 525i that was leaking and burning oil when it dripped on the exhaust manifold in the same area. It's an easy job, I recommend doing the spark plugs at the same time if needed since they're easily accessible while the coil packs are out. I also recommend using a BMW gasket set and bolt seals. If you have high mileage (100k) rebuild the VANOS since it's right there.
It's not my car, but I did just notice I pulled the pic from the website of a used car lot. That would explain all that armorall I'll just get the VC gasket then. I got the plugs replaced this year and I'll hold off on the VANOS since it will take me another 15 years to hit 100k miles at the rate I'm going.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 10:52 AM   #5
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep

My parts came in this weekend, but I just realized I forgot to buy a sealant. A google search is coming up with a few different recommendations - some say to use a gasket sealer, some say to use a gasket maker, some say to use a sensor-safe, high-temp RTV. Are these basically all the same? If possible I just want to get 1 tube that I can use for many different applications such as my valve cover gaskets on various cars and my top motor when it eventually fails.

Permatex® Ultra Black Maximum Oil Resistance RTV Silicone Gasket Maker

Permatex Ultra Rubber Gasket Sealant & Dressing

Permatex High-Temp Red RTV Silicone Gasket
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 11:01 AM   #6
dc_wright
Captain
Rep

Use the Ultra Black. It can be used as a sealer, a gasket maker, it's sensor safe and it's got really good oil resistance at high temperatures. In this case you're using it as a sealer so only a thin, light coat is required. I've used it with good results on M52 and M54 engines.
      12-28-2015, 11:37 AM   #7
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright View Post
Use the Ultra Black. It can be used as a sealer, a gasket maker, it's sensor safe and it's got really good oil resistance at high temperatures. In this case you're using it as a sealer so only a thin, light coat is required. I've used it with good results on M52 and M54 engines.
Thanks, and it can also be used to seal the top motor housing when I need to do that too? Not that I can't just buy another tube when the time comes, but it would be nice to have it handy.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 12:03 PM   #8
dc_wright
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twixboy View Post
Thanks, and it can also be used to seal the top motor housing when I need to do that too? Not that I can't just buy another tube when the time comes, but it would be nice to have it handy.
Yes, you can use it for the top motor housing, provided it hasn't turned rock hard by then.
      12-28-2015, 12:16 PM   #9
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
I used Hylomar® Universal Blue. It doesn't harden so if/when the valve cover needs come back off it will easily release. Any high quality gasket maker will work though. I have used Permatex Ultra Blue with good results. Only a small amount is needed at the corners of the half moons and the VANOS to head junction. Using allot is NOT better...
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 11:07 PM   #10
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

I think it may have been Ron Stygar that crossed the OEM sealant to 3M 08661.
I've used it 4-5 times. No leaks, stays pliable, and peals off easily.