ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-07-2015, 10:25 AM   #45
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

My airbag light just went on yesterday. VIN search says I'm not eligible (build date is June of 2007). A quick call to BMW customer service was useless, since the car hasn't been to the dealer and the problem been assessed.

I did some snooping around and sensor mats going bad is certainly an issue not BMW or E85 specific. The cheap and dirty solution is to install a "Mat Emulator". They are dirt cheap ($10) if the mat is two wire (cars before ~2006) and only $60 if after 2006.

From this thread (http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=797110 )3002tii seems to have communicated with one provider so there is perhaps some level of confidence in at least one unit. Here is a link to that unit http://www.ebay.com/itm/160854844395...84.m1439.l2649

Last edited by elerner61; 12-07-2015 at 11:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 02:40 PM   #46
Daemonblitz
Commander
Rep
Drives: Z4MC/M5/640iX/M1000RR

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [9.50]
2006 Z4M Coupe  [8.77]
2010 BMW S1000RR  [10.00]
I can double-check your eligibility for coverage if you are willing to provide last 7 digits of your VIN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elerner61 View Post
My airbag light just went on yesterday. VIN search says I'm not eligible (build date is June of 2007). A quick call to BMW customer service was useless, since the car hasn't been to the dealer and the problem been assessed.

I did some snooping around and sensor mats going bad is certainly an issue not BMW or E85 specific. The cheap and dirty solution is to install a "Mat Emulator". They are dirt cheap ($10) if the mat is two wire (cars before ~2006) and only $60 if after 2006.

From this thread (http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=797110 )3002tii seems to have communicated with one provider so there is perhaps some level of confidence in at least one unit. Here is a link to that unit http://www.ebay.com/itm/160854844395...84.m1439.l2649
K66 ///M1000RR - Competition
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 04:01 PM   #47
elerner61
Major
Rep

Thanks, but I already had Customer Service check for me and I am not. I even escalated my call beyond the initial representative "Lindsey". She read 100% from the playbook, saying that I must have a dealer triage it and "yes" if is is not covered I will have to pay for the 1 hour of diagnostics time. Eventually she told me off the record that I have two chances of BMW providing any assistance....slim and none. Screw that. I'll install one of the bypasses and be done with it.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 08:40 PM   #48
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MR silver grey

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks, but I already had Customer Service check for me and I am not. I even escalated my call beyond the initial representative "Lindsey". She read 100% from the playbook, saying that I must have a dealer triage it and "yes" if is is not covered I will have to pay for the 1 hour of diagnostics time. Eventually she told me off the record that I have two chances of BMW providing any assistance....slim and none. Screw that. I'll install one of the bypasses and be done with it.
I'm assuming you saw my almost exact same encounter a few posts ago. Really pisses me off. NHTSA claims 2007s are covered, but BMW is playing hardball. I'm in the same boat you are, going to install an emulator and be done with it. I ordered the Bimtronics, but got an email from them yesterday saying the package was returned to them by the mail service. Damn international mail Address was correct, they are going to resend. After the fact I found this one on ebay, it's cheaper and works with the 3 wire red/white/brown set-up we have:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-2005-201...xVNW8d&vxp=mtr
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 11:43 AM   #49
sudoer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4 3.0i, 2006 X3 3.0i

There's no need to buy a sensor emulator. The passenger occupancy sensor on my parents' X3 started acting up a few weeks ago and I was able to code it out on the ABG module. Simply set all the "OC3" parameters to "nicht_aktiv".
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 02:40 PM   #50
elerner61
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudoer View Post
There's no need to buy a sensor emulator. The passenger occupancy sensor on my parents' X3 started acting up a few weeks ago and I was able to code it out on the ABG module. Simply set all the "OC3" parameters to "nicht_aktiv".
That's a great tip, now I just have to get my lazy ass to solder the two pins on my cable and install the software I've had sitting around.

If you code it out, are you sure the bag is still active and will fire?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 06:55 PM   #51
sudoer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4 3.0i, 2006 X3 3.0i

Quote:
That's a great tip, now I just have to get my lazy ass to solder the two pins on my cable and install the software I've had sitting around.

If you code it out, are you sure the bag is still active and will fire?
Anecdotal evidence from the internet says yes, but I don't care to test that myself.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2015, 12:13 PM   #52
tkeneklis
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z-4 roadster

Garage List
2005 BMW Z4  [0.00]
I put my VIN number in and it came back negative and I also called and had a very nice intelligent person tell me I vehicle was not covered. GRRR
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 05:02 PM   #53
tkeneklis
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2005 BMW Z4  [0.00]
SRS/Air bag system

I received my notification letter from BMW NA in July. It states that
...BMW is extending the limited warranty for the Supplemental Restraint System's (SRS) front passenger air bag seat occupancy sencor (OC3) mat on the above referenced vehicle to:

15 years without mileage limitation, as determined b your vehicle's original in-service date."

This is notice of a "limited warranty extension" only. This is not a Recall or Service Action.
Bolding is as in the original letter.

Based on the last bolded sentence, unless your SRS/Air Bag malfunction indicator is illuminated, I doubt that taking an affected car into your dealer would result in them actually doing anything, because, as stated, "This is not a notice of Recall or Service Action".

So I brought my 2003 BMW Z4 to the dealer Bergstrom in Appleton, WI. (80 miles round-trip) They stated that I needed a new Airbag Control Unit since mine was faulty. The bad news is they wanted $1500.00 to repair the unit. I did get a free car wash!

I called BMW they gave me the same run around. "it's not covered."

I did call the NHTSA and filed a complaint. Oh well at least I got a free car wash
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 05:18 PM   #54
misterawa
John 14:6
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4

I have a 2003 also. I contacted BMW Customer Relations in 2015 and they said it wasn't covered. Fast forward, I received a notice last month (July), contacted BMW Customer Relations last week and they informed me the 15 year warranty ended in March. Honestly, if BMW would have notified me sooner, I would have taken my car to the dealership, as I've been using a reliable independent shop for the last 8 years.

Any advice since my car is outside of the 15 year warranty?

I'm very disappointed about with BMW NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeneklis View Post
I received my notification letter from BMW NA in July. It states that
...BMW is extending the limited warranty for the Supplemental Restraint System's (SRS) front passenger air bag seat occupancy sencor (OC3) mat on the above referenced vehicle to:

15 years without mileage limitation, as determined b your vehicle's original in-service date."

This is notice of a "limited warranty extension" only. This is not a Recall or Service Action.
Bolding is as in the original letter.

Based on the last bolded sentence, unless your SRS/Air Bag malfunction indicator is illuminated, I doubt that taking an affected car into your dealer would result in them actually doing anything, because, as stated, "This is not a notice of Recall or Service Action".

So I brought my 2003 BMW Z4 to the dealer Bergstrom in Appleton, WI. (80 miles round-trip) They stated that I needed a new Airbag Control Unit since mine was faulty. The bad news is they wanted $1500.00 to repair the unit. I did get a free car wash!

I called BMW they gave me the same run around. "it's not covered."

I did call the NHTSA and filed a complaint. Oh well at least I got a free car wash

Mods: Eibachs/Konis, Eibach camber kit, JTD RSMs, 19" WedsSport SA67, Hamann headlight trim, Aero front bumper, Aero sides, AC Schnitzer side deflectors, Hella euro taillights, Hardtop, Dinan strut & supplemental bars, RD Sport intake, Dinan Stage 2 Software, RPI scoop, Bastuck catback exhaust, Radenergie CF engine cover...
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 05:24 PM   #55
bgeorge0049
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 3.0si

Quote:
Originally Posted by imz4n View Post
Received my letter today as well. I will be making my appointment on Monday.
They won't replace it unless it has gone bad.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 05:24 PM   #56
tkeneklis
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2005 BMW Z4  [0.00]
misterawa we are in the same boat or vehicle as they say. This is what I did - I called the NHTSA and complained and got a complaint #.
I will have my independent mechanic set my OC3 parameters to nicht_aktiv the next time I am there and I purchased a Seat Mat Bypass Emulator off of Ebay for $9.80 that should put the light out when installed.
Other than that I will drive fast and watch for cops!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 05:27 PM   #57
bgeorge0049
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 3.0si

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudoer View Post
When changing safety parameters in a car to disable features such as airbags and whatnot without an indicator light or such being present, you can be held liable in the event of injury or death of a passenger or future owner. These things can sometimes be hard to trace back to who did the modification, but it has been done in the past and people have lost over it.

Just be careful is all I am saying.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 05:40 PM   #58
tkeneklis
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2005 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgeorge0049 View Post
When changing safety parameters in a car to disable features such as airbags and whatnot without an indicator light or such being present, you can be held liable in the event of injury or death of a passenger or future owner. These things can sometimes be hard to trace back to who did the modification, but it has been done in the past and people have lost over it.

Just be careful is all I am saying.
Thanks, I will note it in my journal and if and when I sell the machine I will inform the new owner.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 05:02 PM   #59
tkeneklis
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2005 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Seat Mat Bypass Emulator

I ordered a SMBE from ebay and if you look at the sales of the equipment - many people either have a malfunction or they are avoiding one. UNSAFE at ANY SPEED!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 07:52 AM   #60
David_Vasha
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i XDrive

They say it's for free which is true on paper. But I went in today to have mine done and they still required me to have $140 ready in case they "find" something outside the warranty. I knew immediately what they were doing so I left. Saying this to give you folks a heads up.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 10:59 AM   #61
RossBMWZseries
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 328i LCI & '06 Z4MR

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Vasha View Post
They say it's for free which is true on paper. But I went in today to have mine done and they still required me to have $140 ready in case they "find" something outside the warranty. I knew immediately what they were doing so I left. Saying this to give you folks a heads up.
I called my dealer letting them know my air bag light is on. They checked my VIN and told me to bring in the car to repair it for free. However, if they scan the code and it's actually not a fault for the OC3 (occupancy mat sensor), then they'll charge me for the diagnostic scan ($150) and will not repair the OC3. I haven't taken the car in for this reason.
2013 BMW S1000RR K46 R.I.P.
1998 BMW Z3 Roadster 1.9L E36 SOLD
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 01:01 PM   #62
David_Vasha
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossBMWZseries View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Vasha View Post
I called my dealer letting them know my air bag light is on. They checked my VIN and told me to bring in the car to repair it for free. However, if they scan the code and it's actually not a fault for the OC3 (occupancy mat sensor), then they'll charge me for the diagnostic scan ($150) and will not repair the OC3. I haven't taken the car in for this reason.
Exactly, these dealerships really put money over everything unfortunately.
Appreciate 0