ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-18-2015, 08:23 AM   #1
HankDKrank
Seasoned Novice
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4 Roadster

Help with Loose Front Bumper

My front bumper has taken a little abuse on it's bottom from scraping on various transitions. Just the other day I had to dart across a busy street and heard that dreaded scraping sound. Have also had the dumb luck to hook it on a curb and nearly pull it off when backing up. A little more than dumb luck involved there. I have looked at the underside and believe there are no screws holding from the bottom. It seems to hang a good inch or more from being solid/secure. As near as I can tell these should be metal phillips screws but am not sure. I'm sure this is not a rare issue. Can someone advise on what hardware is needed? Attached link and image is from AtlantaBMWParts.com - are these guys legit? Got a nice price on a cowl cover. Thanks a bunch and Merry Christmas to you and yours. - HDK

https://atlantabmwparts.com/parts/20...6%20COMPONENTS
Attached Images

Last edited by HankDKrank; 12-18-2015 at 08:28 AM.. Reason: add link
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2015, 10:34 AM   #2
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

They're legit. They're one of the BMW dealers in Atlanta, GA.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.8987...2!8i6656?hl=en

BMW started allowing BMW dealers to sell at discounted prices through web stores a couple years ago. The two dealers in Atlanta both have web stores (parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com is the other), the dealer in MD (getbmwparts.com) has one and there's one in CA (bmwpartsupply.com) that I know of. For big parts like a bumper cover, the shipping cost can be a pretty significant portion of the total cost. Might be a little cheaper to pay a bit more for the part if the source is a lot closer to you.

Last edited by dc_wright; 12-18-2015 at 10:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2015, 11:53 AM   #3
HankDKrank
Seasoned Novice
Rep

Orders over $100 ship free. Cowl cover was $185. Dealer was $330. Turner was $265.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2015, 12:28 PM   #4
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M Roadster

Garage List
This guide on bumper removal should give you some answers.
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthre...38#post1321138

Salty
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2015, 12:31 PM   #5
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Be sure to read this post further down in the thread #22:
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showpost...4&postcount=22

Salty
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2015, 12:48 PM   #6
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

The bumper cover on the underside is held in place in conjunction with several other pieces, namely the under tray 51717012723 and the 2 bottom covers 51717168996.
These parts are integral to the stability of the bumper cover as it screws onto all 3 of these pieces in 10-12 places with the Phillips head screws you mentioned.
I replaced all 3 of these items due to the PO bottoming out.

Having said all that my car is an 04 and may be slightly different to yours.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2015, 12:52 PM   #7
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

I used to suffer this so bad, that I got black-flagged at a local track when the under tray disengaged from the front bumper as I sped down the front straight at ~120mph in my old '03 Z4 3.0i. It dragged so bad by the end of the day the entire under tray was shredded.

If your under tray is intact, you can drill some holes in the under tray and the bumper to attach expanding rivets, part #4 on this diagram:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=51_4952

PN 51118174185

The expanding rivets are easier to use than the self-tapping screws, because the tapped end of the screw are in the shape of a clip, so you have to clip it to the edge of the under tray. And you'd have to align your holes just right for it to work. The expanding rivets basically allow you to put your bumper up against the tray, line up the rivets, and push the pin in to hold it in place.

I drilled 3 holes on my front bumper, one in the middle, the other 2 about 2' flanking the center hole, and no more dragging under tray (well, I had to buy a new under tray as well). The under tray is secured near the back with 3 screws, and front with 2 additional screws per side. Once it's secured up front with either screws or rivets on the front bumper it ain't going anywhere.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2015, 07:49 PM   #8
HankDKrank
Seasoned Novice
Rep

Thank you all for the good advice and entertaining anecdote from The Hack. I will think of that whenever I see a car with something flapping underneath - even if they aren't at 120. I found the screws, fender washers, and plastic rivets at Lowes. Got six screws to bite good underneath. The clips were all still there but one corner of pan is missing/broken so six will have to do. Used small fender washers on these. Was missing three plastic rivets and replaced another. The top rivet on one side was missing and I needed Wifey's steady assistance in getting the bumper/bracket/liner all into position to rivet. Fits correctly now - was sticking out a little by the reflector. Also loosed the top mount torx screws and slid bumper up all the way and that gap is cool now too. Now to keep it that way ... Take care and Merry Christmas to you and yours.
Appreciate 0