ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-09-2009, 05:17 PM   #1
kh7456
Registered
Rep
Drives: Z4 2.5i

Dummy Quad systems

I ve made my Z4 to look like it has a quad system however i just got the body shop to make an exact cut on the driver side and weld two pipes and got the chrome tile pipes from BMW. It cost me £60 for the twin chrome pipe, £30 for the cut and £50 for the welding of the fake pipes. Let me know what you think off it.

Will put on another picture to show from the drivers side.

And guys i just wanted the look not the performance or the authenticity. Plus this cost only £150 where as fitting the actual Quad system will cost from £600 - £1000.

Last edited by kh7456; 10-10-2009 at 08:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2009, 05:53 PM   #2
trsbmw
deft danish devil
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM E86 M-Cp, LMB 335d M-Sport

Garage List
2007 Z4 M Coupe  [0.00]
whats next? an M badge?

what ever happened to authenticity?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2009, 05:55 PM   #3
GP20
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4M, F80 M3, 991.2 GTS

Since you asked for opinions, I think it will look extremely stupid once it gets cold and people see smoke coming out of the left exhaust but not the right one. Nothing screams poser like that.

And by the way, the shop did a poor job cutting out the trim.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2009, 08:07 PM   #4
dyerkes
Private
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0i/SMG

Garage List
2005 Z4 3.0i  [0.00]
It's all about whether YOU like it. Cosmetically I think it looks better than the stock non-M version. I've considered doing it, but only if it were a true retrofit. I find that Z4M owners are far more sensitive of other Z owners modifying there's to look like there's. My other car is a 911 Turbo. Many non-turbo Porsche owners do similar things to make their cars look like a Turbo, but I don't know of any Turbo owners reacting the way I see the BMW M owners do. I believe in the phrase "imitation is the highest form of flattery".

David
2005 Z4 3.0i SMG
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2009, 10:15 PM   #5
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
faux tips FTL!

and as someone mentioned ,the bumper cutout doesn't look good. it doesn't look factory at all. it looks silly enough on the IS-F... but far worse on the z4 non-m
      10-09-2009, 10:19 PM   #6
Rick Hunter
Skull Squadron Leader
Rep
Drives: '07 M Coupé & '16 435xi GCoupé

I don't understand why anyone would want to put what is essentially weighted nothings on a performance car. Regardless of how dope, sick, phat it might look to the end user, posing with no performance gains ends up douching the brand.

That being said, I can't say that I dislike everything fake...
      10-09-2009, 10:58 PM   #7
jra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2005 z4

I'm going to side with my 2.5 brother here. I've never had any problems with the quad option on the non m...the cut needs to be fixed though
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2009, 07:37 AM   #8
ssummers
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by trsbmw View Post
whats next? an M badge?

what ever happened to authenticity?
TRS, are the mods you have listed on your car "authentic"?

I don't understand why alot of the "M" owners have this little fantasy that all non "M" owners secretly want to emulate their car. I think you are way too big on your car, just because someone doesn't like the asymmetrical look of the 2.5 or 3.0 Z4 exhaust outlet doesn't mean they are M wannabes. Sorry to burst your bubble but we aren't all in awe of the M.....

That said, I like the look of a dual outlet exhaust on the Z4, I realize that is all it is, a look. I got my admiration for the dual outlet actually from the late model S2000, that is a car that has some serious aesthetics, but I'm not going to put S2000 badges on the Z because I like the S. And the asymmetrical imbalance of the Z exhaust doesn't bother me enough to change it.

What the OP achieved with this mod, was the look he wanted. If he is happy with it then that is what matters.

Last edited by ssummers; 10-10-2009 at 08:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2009, 11:41 AM   #9
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
^^ not true

i'm not a m owner but a fake 2nd set of tips is just silly. it has nothing to do with m-envy. it's just no different than buying the fake blow off valve or turbo "sound" ebay mods. it's not poserish b/c you're trying to look like you have a m. it's poserish b/c you're trying to look like you have a quad exhaust when you clearly don't!
      10-10-2009, 12:48 PM   #10
trsbmw
deft danish devil
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM E86 M-Cp, LMB 335d M-Sport

Garage List
2007 Z4 M Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssummers View Post
TRS, are the mods you have listed on your car "authentic"?

I don't understand why alot of the "M" owners have this little fantasy that all non "M" owners secretly want to emulate their car. I think you are way too big on your car, just because someone doesn't like the asymmetrical look of the 2.5 or 3.0 Z4 exhaust outlet doesn't mean they are M wannabes. Sorry to burst your bubble but we aren't all in awe of the M.....

That said, I like the look of a dual outlet exhaust on the Z4, I realize that is all it is, a look. I got my admiration for the dual outlet actually from the late model S2000, that is a car that has some serious aesthetics, but I'm not going to put S2000 badges on the Z because I like the S. And the asymmetrical imbalance of the Z exhaust doesn't bother me enough to change it.

What the OP achieved with this mod, was the look he wanted. If he is happy with it then that is what matters.

Wow I am so lost now that my bubble is burst... Way to go reading between the lines dude. I would feel the exact same way whether I had an M car or not.... I, for one, value understatement, and the 'function before form' philosophy. (Unless it concerns small mods like antennas and the like)

If he likes it, cool, but he asked for opinions, so I gave mine.. These threads always seem to turn into opinions of opinions of opinions,, what gives??
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2009, 01:54 PM   #11
GP20
Major
Canada
Rep

I think some non-M owners are showing their insecurities more than anything. I was bashing ghetto quad-tip hack jobs back in the old Z4um days when I had my 3.0i and when BMW didn't even make any Z4M's. I can appreciate a true dual-exhaust set-up like cj10jeeper's when it gets done right and efforts and thoughts were actually put into the modification.

http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewto...p?f=27&t=10723

To me it was never about the OP posing to have an M; it was him posing to have a quad-tip "retrofit" and he simply failed.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2009, 01:54 PM   #12
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 AW Z4C 3.0Si

Quote:
Originally Posted by trsbmw View Post
.... I, for one, value understatement, and the 'function before form' philosophy. (Unless it concerns small mods like antennas and the like)

If he likes it, cool, but he asked for opinions.....
X2. I like the symmetry of a functional dual exhaust and considered it briefly. For me the gained asthetics was not worth the effort compared to modding the single side exhaust. I would never ever install a mod like this without it being functional, no performance benefit and you look like something your not. Bottom line is that we do to our cars as we want to make us happy. And yes, the cutout is poorly done.

Now to turn this into something with a real benefit:
Attached Images

10-10-2009, 02:34 PM   #13
GP20
Major
Canada
Rep

I love FemmeT's Alpina S. But even his quad-tip set-up was completely for show and really does nothing for the performance. It's really only an ESS muffler with dummy pipes that allow you to not look stupid in the winter. But like I said, at least the job was done right and cleanly, and efforts were actually put into it. And of course he's got the ESS supercharger to back it up and shut people up a little. But is his guad-tip set-up giving him any more performance than a single muffler set-up would? No.

Does cj10jeeper's true Z4M dual muffler set-up give him any performance gain? Highly unlikely. If anything the added weight slows his Z4 down a little more. But again at least it's done cleanly and it looks superb. In reality, does the (real) Z4M with a mere inline-6 engine really need quad-tips? No. Did the E46 M3 really need quad-tips? No. It was for show. Does the Ferrari 458 really need a tri-tip set-up? I think not, but that's up for good debate.
Appreciate 0