ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-24-2022, 08:56 AM   #1
Piper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E85

Who has the oldest Z4 on the board by trim m/y

Since it’s coming up on 20 years since production launch next month I was wondering who has the oldest by m/y production, when did you get it, what miles then, miles now, any story’s to tell about the day/how you bought it.

To not just single out ‘03 let’s do prefacelift, ‘06 facelift Roadster and Coupe and M Roadster and Coupe. And by all means pics welcome.

Last edited by Piper1; 08-24-2022 at 09:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2022, 09:02 AM   #2
Piper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Production: Nov 2002

Purchased: May 2011
Miles then:64K
Miles now:109k

I'm the 3rd owner, and have no idea why my 2.5 sits under the roundel. I've never seen any shadowing so can only guess as either the first or second owner debadged and rebadged early on. Was completely stock so I'm wondering if this was even an oopsie from factory. It's the 5th Z4 I looked at 1st car I ever had shipped to me, and they shipped it for free to MI. The dealer gave me reasonable offer for my trade, in writing stated as well as on the phone if it's not everything they're promising they'll take it back no questions asked. The few cosmetic things I found upon deliver inspection they told me to go to my local dealer have them fax a quote and they cut a check for all the trim pieces such as lower cowl cracking that I needed to replace. Scary thing the Mrs. drove it more the first day than I did

dealer pic from where I got it

As it sits now

Last edited by Piper1; 08-24-2022 at 09:24 AM..
Appreciate 2
racerbruce3853.50
kaybat125.50
      08-24-2022, 10:20 AM   #3
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

Well done Piper1 -
Your story of purchase is one of the most civilized and above-board car purchase transactions - ever.

The amount of deplorable transactions posted on this site....your transaction was the antithesis of this.

Your ride is gorgeous and very nicely modded - well done.
      08-24-2022, 11:28 AM   #4
Piper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerbruce View Post
Well done Piper1 -
Your story of purchase is one of the most civilized and above-board car purchase transactions - ever.

The amount of deplorable transactions posted on this site....your transaction was the antithesis of this.

Your ride is gorgeous and very nicely modded - well done.
Thanks Bruce
The first one I looked at was an 08 and sold the day I looked at it to someone else, when I came back the next day to have my trade valued I found out. It was fortune that it happened that way because that same week found out boarders books where my wife worked was going out of business. So my pursuit to own one didn’t falter just had to look at older to stay in a single income budget for not knowing how long it’d be before she was working again. I felt bad I wanted to buy it from Frank who was the sales guy at the bmw dealer by me it was at. My wife had a migraine that day and she stayed in the jeep the whole time, while I was out on the test drive he came out and brought her water to the jeep with her not feeling well. But alas. I also looked at one in Ohio and when I got to the dealer after they said it had some scratches that were normal wear for the age it looked like someone put a cardboard box on the hood and swirled it around. Even with wanting to work on the price for me told them I’d pass it’d be a whole respray on the hood it was so bad.

I wish my 128 purchase went as smooth from a different bmw dealer but had a write up about how bad it was on the 1er forum. Kid you not their saying is “is it leaking, weeping, or seeping, because we don’t fix leaks”. My dealer here called them scheisters.
Appreciate 1
racerbruce3853.50
      08-24-2022, 11:39 AM   #5
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

August 2004.
Bought sight unseen off ebay for 10k with 90k miles on it.
130k miles now, all FI since I owned it.

Bought in December 2013.
Received January 2014 and didn't see it in person until March 2014 due to an extended trip.

Its never been the same since

PS. paint is OEM and is totally different hues in different light.
Maldives Blue.
Attached Images

W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX

Last edited by Steeler; 08-24-2022 at 11:47 AM..
Appreciate 1
racerbruce3853.50
      08-24-2022, 11:51 AM   #6
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep

Wowie!
Both posts (Piper1 and Steeler) have supercharged their Z's....well done!

For the normally aspirated crowd, tell us what it is like to drive a FI car....low end, top end, any issues with the increased power (engine, drivetrain, etc).
      08-24-2022, 12:35 PM   #7
Steeler
Colonel
Rep

Thanks RB

Low end power is minimal gain, if any, until you get into boost with a roots type(vortech) blower.

Midrange and top end is another story.
On wet pavement, which I do not drive my car intentionally in the rain, midrange traction is iffy if I don't control myself

I kinda solved the low end issue with a super small pulley and a boost relief valve set to 16psi peak boost.
Mathematically with the blower pulley, crank pulley and redline I could potentially see 23-24# of boost. Hence the blowoff.

A 4ish rear gear ratio also aids in low end push.

With that kind of boost, tuning is key.
Don't hesitate to contact Severn Tuning pokeybritches for that.

Internally I have head studs and an MLS HG.

To help IAT's I have a custom W/A intercooler and multi port WMI.

Car is beastly and will get even beastlier over this winter with an Alpha N tune. IE no MAF.
Yet another option that Severn Tuning is developing.

As far as breaking anything, I have not yet, tires however are a consumable.
Attached Images

W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX

Last edited by Steeler; 08-24-2022 at 12:54 PM..
Appreciate 2
      08-24-2022, 02:42 PM   #8
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep

Well done Steeler!
Please help with a few of the acronyms for the unlearned (that would be me) for MLS HG, etc.
      08-24-2022, 04:05 PM   #9
Steeler
Colonel
Rep

Multi Layer Steel Headgasket
Water to Air
Intake Air Temp
Water Meth Injection
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2022, 04:17 PM   #10
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep

Thank you Steeler -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler View Post
Multi Layer Steel Headgasket
Water to Air
Intake Air Temp
Water Meth Injection
Sounds like a freaking NASA rocket launch

Well done!
      08-24-2022, 08:02 PM   #11
Piper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerbruce View Post
Sounds like a freaking NASA rocket launch

Well done!
lol yeah I haven’t gone full on crazy like THAT…yet. I’m on ess’s tune for the vt1 atm. I do need to get with severn eventually though to see what tweaking we can do. I’ll have my 07 coupe full on project in the next little bit so that’ll be taking up a good bit of time and funds.

Nothing too much to add as far as feel goes from what steeler said. I looked at the TS1/2 from ess but for roughly the same amount going with the vt1 at the same time I added a lsd from diffsonline, changing to a 4.10:1 final drive if you blink turn your head and cough you’re already in 2nd lol. That and how early the TS builds boost I just didn’t want to take the chance in the wife give me the back of the head I told you so slap if something went wrong at the higher mileage I have. Low as said really isn’t that noticeable but again the ratio change not only makes up for that when on it but the up shift keeps you in that higher rpm range for higher boost if you hadn’t changed the ratio. Going into 3rd is a big smile every time. 2nd with the ratio change tops at 58mph and the boost at the shift into 3rd is the praying in the bedroom style as it really wants to go and go. Compared to driving the coupe fully stock there’s not as much excitement in gear change of that next exciting boost moment and that’s only with topping at 7.4# for boost so there is some drool at what severn can open up from there.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2022, 09:08 AM   #12
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep

Thank you Steeler and Piper1 -
So great to hear visceral descriptions of what it's like to drive an FI Z4; it must be an absolute thrill to experience; I am grateful for the interchange and didn't intend to take over this thread from the OP; thanks so much.