ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-10-2022, 05:47 PM   #23
Emmrbee
Retired
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falbe_C View Post
I am looking at Buying an 03 E85 the roof on that needs to be fixed, would you mark this as a red flag in your experience?
Knock $2000 off the price for parts and aggravation
I did that job on my 2006 3.0si when first purchased, took about 5 hours and parts were @ $350 back in 2012.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2022, 05:46 PM   #24
ZedQuattro
Driving outside the box...
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 E85 (2007)

Life saver...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobR07Z View Post
Update:
Just installed the motor only and thought I would share some pictures on this. I'm still waiting on the fluid to arrive so the top isn't functionable yet but I did test the motor hooked up and it seems to be right. I have say that the motor drive assembly is quite simple and bulletproof against putting it together wrong, it only can go together one way. I'll update the roof operation after the fluid arrives Monday.
Note: the pin and spring connects the motor to the pump and drives the pump, make sure the spring doesn't push past the collar on the pin or it will collapse and not drive the pump. While holding the pin in hand, push the spring upward against the pin collar and if it passes over there collar you have to bend the spring END slightly so that it fits tight and doesn't pass over there collar.
Just wanted to thank you for the great photos. I, too, chose to buy the motor only, as the pump appeared to be a well-made piece. When putting the pump back together (after cleaning the outside and emptying out the 15 year old hydraulic fluid) I could not figure out which hole the small stainless pin went into.

Your photos (excellent) helped me so much. I figured there where 3 stainless pins, but only one was found when disassembling the pump. I figured it was useless to look around my work area for those other 2 pins. As I was fumbling around, I noticed that the motor had a strong magnetic pull. I went to my original motor (tucked away in a zip lock baggie) and WOW!!! the missing 2 pins were attached to the motor down in one of the recessed areas.

I put it all back together (for the 3rd time) with all of the pins. Nothing... so, I read further into your post(s) and there it was - the "brass nipple" issue. I decided to disassemble the entire pump and I found a lot of internal parts that had become immovable over time. Sprayed it down with carb cleaner, then reassembled the pump.

Put all back together again, put in fresh hydraulic fluid (again) and assembled the entire unit. And... IT WORKED!!

A big thank you (I know its like several years later but I am so thankful) for solving my Z4 convertible top issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2022, 07:12 AM   #25
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedQuattro View Post
Put all back together again, put in fresh hydraulic fluid (again) and assembled the entire unit. And... IT WORKED!!
What do you use for hydraulic fluid? I have an E93 I'd like to top off.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2022, 11:06 AM   #26
ZedQuattro
Driving outside the box...
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 E85 (2007)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
What do you use for hydraulic fluid? I have an E93 I'd like to top off.
Type this into your search on Amazon:

Convertible Top Hydraulic Pump Fluid - Compatible with 2003-2016 BMW Z4

It is made in Germany and it arrived very safely packaged.

Only $17.95 for a liter.
Appreciate 1
wdb4732.00
      08-22-2022, 05:42 PM   #27
Rafichicago
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5 2009 E63AMG Wagon

I have just done this job this weekend without roof removal. It is not overly super hard but I am smaller guy so it was a little easier 😂. Someone tried to fix it beforehand because zip ties were already cut and it literally took me about 30 mins to get the pump out. My motor where it seals with the pump was missing about 3/4 inch piece so all the fluid leaked out. I have replaced motor with new o-ring and refilled missing fluid with CHF 202 by Pentosin This however wouldn't make it working. I had to remove plastic that is sitting at the hydraulic pump that fits over bypass valve for manual operation. I've used some fluid to dissolve corrosion from the pin. If the pin is stuck it will not allow for the fluid to enter hydraulic lines. Once I've successfully freed it up conv. Too started moving but not all the way. It took 3-4 fillups to make it working and sound right. I have of course relocated pump with motor into the trunk. Now I have working top back again 👍
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 06:08 PM   #28
Rafichicago
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5 2009 E63AMG Wagon

Here are the photos of the motor and the fluid I've used.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
wdb4732.00