ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-28-2012, 08:42 AM   #67
drbvac
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW M COUPE

Garage List
How high ?

This CF shift knob is exactly 4" high measured from the flat surround holding in the boot. Are the other ones much shorter ?
Attached Images

2006 M COUPE - 380 total production, 1 of 40Imola Red produced for NA , ESS 455 Supercharger, Speedhut Gauges, VPM CLS wheels, 19" Hancooks, Stromung Exhaust, Carbon fibre accessories and black and white badging,
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 11:25 AM   #68
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
@drdvac...you can't really measure from the boot since that's not a fixed point. The boot can move up or down as desired. The ZHP knob does sit in the same location as the OE knob at the base, but since it's shorter to begin with, the shifting action is shorter as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 11:25 AM   #69
strokeoluck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by STIHLBOLTS View Post
Yes, that is the un lighted verson, I got mine from Tishners, had it on sale for $55 and free shipping a while back. But $65 is about what you can expect either from dealer or LeatherZ or roadster solutions. You can send leatherz your shifter and he will take the guts out and install the light in the ZHP for you, it destroys the orignal shifter but it's the only way to get a lighted ZHP. He explains how hard it is to get the lighted emblem. I understand he does really good work.
Thanks. I sort of like the lighted shifter, but I don't think I'm willing to go through the hassle and cost to get it. Given the rave reviews on the short shifter I'm looking forward to giving it a try. Also purchased RPI exhaust and looking to get the EC-7 wheels in Feb./March. Taking it all to my local indie shop in spring and eager to drive the "new" hot rod summer of '13!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 11:57 AM   #70
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MR silver grey

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by STIHLBOLTS View Post
@antenna - nope, further west, just north of Tallahassee at the line. I am talking South Georiga. We consider folks in Savannah Yankees. Just kidding.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 01:15 PM   #71
drbvac
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
measurement

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMetal View Post
@drdvac...you can't really measure from the boot since that's not a fixed point. The boot can move up or down as desired. The ZHP knob does sit in the same location as the OE knob at the base, but since it's shorter to begin with, the shifting action is shorter as well.
You misunderstood I think - I laid a straight edge across the top of the console OVER the entire boot and measured from there - up to the top of the knob

The only way that it is the 3/4 of an inch shorter is if there is less space between the top of the transmission shifter shaft and the inside of the top of the knob.

I guess it could fit the hand better but probably wouldn't make the same difference a shorter shift lever would in terms of length of the throw.
Attached Images

2006 M COUPE - 380 total production, 1 of 40Imola Red produced for NA , ESS 455 Supercharger, Speedhut Gauges, VPM CLS wheels, 19" Hancooks, Stromung Exhaust, Carbon fibre accessories and black and white badging,
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 01:26 PM   #72
ShakyDog
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i Alpine White/Red

I was amazed as to what this did for my driving experience. I have a 3.0i and I really do not mind that it has an M. They sell all kinds of non-M cars with M wheels in them. Love this mod.

Steve
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 02:19 PM   #73
pyo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

Garage List
I couldnt get it off in a seated position. So I was kneeling on passenger seat (right handed) and gave a few good yanks. Almost flew out of the car, good thing the soft top prevented that haha

Im using autosolutions ssk with zhp kno and ebay clutch stop. Some of the best mods ive done
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 07:05 PM   #74
drbvac
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Fella could kill himself

Dangerous job changing these out but I may skip as I am not sure when all done the total height from top to bottom and where my hand would sit is noticeable lower. I am not sure if anyone did measure before and after but it would help some of us.

Has anyone installed the short throw lever that tightens up the pattern quite a bit?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 07:37 PM   #75
dean911
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

The difference is only 1/2 inch. Just mesured it. I went back to the illuminated knob. I like the lights for the look.

I think if you want a SSK you'll need to install it.

Just my 2 cents.

Greg
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 09:31 PM   #76
sinbad4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Garage List
No likey lighted..

I recently picked up Z4MR... drove 996 miles home (TX to MN). I thought the shifter was reflecting the red led light from above.. turns out it's lighted.

Frankly; I don't like it. ..And I am tech guy who normally loves lights and buttons. I find it distracting. It's not useful - esp with the ///M botching up the whole thing. I think if it was white on black (lighting up red at night) would be much more useful. (This, btw, is how all other button labels are done in car.) But, glossy, shiny emblem is really just annoying.

I think I'd prefer the standard non-lit, non-M version best. Will wait for warm weather and drive a bit before deciding. I will prolly keep stock and disconnect annoying light.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 09:04 AM   #77
STIHLBOLTS
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is

Garage List
2020 Z4 M4.0i  [5.00]
If yours is light than more than likely its the standard stock shift knob. But like you I could care less about the shift knob being lighted. Get a ZHP from getbmwparts dot com - had it on sale for $55 at one time, about the cheapest price out there. If you have to have a ZHP lighted contact leather z dot com and he can fix you up.

Congratulations on your purchase.

2013 335is E93
2018 X5 35d
BMWCCA / ZSCCA Member
Appreciate 0