ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-31-2012, 08:20 PM   #1
colatkitty
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: MCoupe, S2000

Video: Buttonwillow 13cw- Bimmer Challenge #1

Had a great time last Saturday in my first Speedventures Bimmer Challenge event. Here is a video of session #1 where I ran my fastest lap of the day. Enjoy.

Last edited by colatkitty; 01-31-2012 at 08:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 09:15 PM   #2
RedDotRacer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4mc

Great time at buttonwillow! I was supposed to be there but something came up. My friends were driving the lsb e46 m3 and alpine white e92 m3. How do you like the clubsports?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 09:41 PM   #3
z4mc
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

Great time!!!
maybe 255 at the front next time
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 10:38 PM   #4
terryltl
Private First Class
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: z4mc

tks for the video Mark ! its was really fun at that day !
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 10:47 AM   #5
colatkitty
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDotRacer View Post
Great time at buttonwillow! I was supposed to be there but something came up. My friends were driving the lsb e46 m3 and alpine white e92 m3. How do you like the clubsports?
Thanks!, hope to see you next time out. I met your friends with the LSB E46 and the white E92 (Red Volks?).

I'm actually running on KW V3's, with swapped springs. They actually performed pretty well for them being pieced together haphazardly, LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by z4mc View Post
Great time!!!
maybe 255 at the front next time
I wish I could, but don't think my front struts will allow me to accommodate a 255 tire... I'm barely just clearing the spring perch with the 235's. I will need to find some shorter springs and move my spring perches up higher in order to clear the tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryltl View Post
tks for the video Mark ! its was really fun at that day !
Thanks Terry, I had a great time that day. I don't think I could have pulled off that fast lap if it wasn't for me trying to catch you... LOL
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 02:12 PM   #6
SmartBastard
Stupid as shit
Austria
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe

Looks like you guys had fun! Interesting track and nice driving
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 11:16 PM   #7
RedDotRacer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4mc

Maybe switching to an 18 inch wheel will help with better tire fitment? How do you like the square setup vs staggered? Either way a 202.xxx is moving!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 11:20 AM   #8
colatkitty
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDotRacer View Post
Maybe switching to an 18 inch wheel will help with better tire fitment? How do you like the square setup vs staggered? Either way a 202.xxx is moving!
Oh, my bad. I just realized I posted 19x9.5 rims all around by mistake. I was actually running 18x9.5's all around with 235/40/18 F and 265/35/18 R.

My intention of running the square wheels was to fit a wider set of front tires, but that idea went down the toilet when I realized my lower spring perches are in the way. The wider front rims did provide a bit more grip and response to the 235's as they slightly stretch out the side walls to provide a more stable contact patch.

Now I just need to find myself some shorter front springs to move my spring perch up in order to accommodate some wider front tires.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 09:58 AM   #9
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by colatkitty View Post
Had a great time last Saturday in my first Speedventures Bimmer Challenge event. Here is a video of session #1 where I ran my fastest lap of the day. Enjoy.

Nice, I just subscribed to your YT account, my favorite was you in the s2k vs the gt3 supposedly "being blocked" by you.

Btw - I'm still new to tracking but in your vid above, how come in certain turns I see your hands jerking back and forth? Like it's almost chopping the wheel? Were the roads not smooth, or were you loosing grip so you straightened out momentarily?
      02-05-2012, 01:31 PM   #10
colatkitty
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedown View Post
Nice, I just subscribed to your YT account, my favorite was you in the s2k vs the gt3 supposedly "being blocked" by you.

Btw - I'm still new to tracking but in your vid above, how come in certain turns I see your hands jerking back and forth? Like it's almost chopping the wheel? Were the roads not smooth, or were you loosing grip so you straightened out momentarily?
Thanks! Glad you like my videos.

Yeah I know, my steering inputs are pretty rough. I definitely need to work on being smoother. But yeah, Buttonwillow is a rough track, and my "chopping" of the wheel are just corrections made to correct the oversteer. My car is set up to be a bit "loose", which I like. I am able to point the car easier with throttle and steering inputs.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 02:13 PM   #11
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by colatkitty View Post
Thanks! Glad you like my videos.

Yeah I know, my steering inputs are pretty rough. I definitely need to work on being smoother. But yeah, Buttonwillow is a rough track, and my "chopping" of the wheel are just corrections made to correct the oversteer. My car is set up to be a bit "loose", which I like. I am able to point the car easier with throttle and steering inputs.
Got it! Btw, by no means was I criticizing your driving... I'm still very much wet behind the ears and am still learning, which is why I asked =)
      05-11-2012, 07:37 PM   #12
Dr Jekyll
Hardparker
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & E46 M3

Mark is a great driver. I ran with him at Willow Springs, and he is fast!
Appreciate 0