ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Regional Forums > Canada
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-12-2013, 07:58 AM   #67
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

I didn't even white it out and RIV was fine with it.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 08:20 AM   #68
daveysew
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '91 318is/'05 Z4 SC/'18 440ix

I'm pretty sue the exact wording on the one I got when I imported my Triumph was "Not to be used for import clearance purposes, unless required by law" and it is required by law so I had no issues. I believe you can also be set up on the BMW Owners Circle website (US Only) where you can track all recall issues and outstanding campaigns independently and print off yourself.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 11:07 AM   #69
Quickid
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4MC, 06 X5 4.4i, 99 323i

Great info! I'll import my next car from the US.
      08-09-2013, 08:35 PM   #70
bucko521
More of this than that!
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 3.0i, Z3 2.5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko521 View Post
Also interested...paying a few dollars sure...but $500...not in this lifetime.
Just imported a 01 Z3 - recall letter was easily acquired by contacting dealer (in states) and asking if I could get a recall letter for a BMW I was buying. Need VIN, and I was sent the letter via email. Seem most BMW dealers in the states are helpful.

Hope this helps everyone.

'06 Z4 3.0i Jet Black/ Biege/Black
Leather / Premium Package / DICE Silverline DUO / Stubby Antenna / Matte Black Grill
Ultimate Cup Holder x2 / Gaptech RCH+ / First Aid storagebox x2 / Acrylic Wind Deflector
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 04:57 PM   #71
Z4Lee
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0i

my import experience

I imported a Z4 in the late fall of 2012. Thanks to everyone for all the advice on the forum.

I purchased my used car from a BMW dealer in Detroit and mostly it went well. The dealer committed to provide a recall letter, but in the end didn't and emphatically refused to provide on satisfactory to RIV. Essentially they said they were concerned about their franchise (I can only speculate why they took a position different to what other US dealers take). The other issue was that I could not get Michigan to issue a temporary permit to drive the car into Ontario. I asked at MTO what to do and they called MI who confirmed that they would not issue the permit (MTO could not understand this, but that was their final position).

In the end, I paid the $500 to the Ontario BMW dealer for the recall letter (after trying several options that all failed). And I rented a U-haul trailer and transported the car home myself.

Overall I saved a lot of money, but it was more of a hassle than I expected. From forum comments, it seems like most people are importing from other states so perhaps that improves the odds of avoiding my two pitfalls.

Best wishes to others seeking a better price stateside.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 01:35 PM   #72
WNGD
Registered
Rep
Drives: Future Z4

I have imported vehicles from the US twice before but the dollar was more or less at par then. The process is easy and painless.

The CDN $ has moved so far down against the US in the last few years that the cost advantage has moved way against us for importing into Canada. At a .73 dollar, it's more expensive in the US in most instances but far better choice still.
Appreciate 0