ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-25-2017, 10:09 PM   #353
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Reborn and Ron, spot on.. better to ship the whole car. Any headway made anywhere?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 12:01 AM   #354
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reborn_ View Post
Also, I live 5 min from Lang, and am willing to help however I can with anything should that route materialize. Also, dinner and drinks on me if you end up coming out this way.
Leading into the rest of this update, I will definitely hold this in reserve.

Quote:

My thoughts on your rolling chassis estimate:

Call it 9k as a reasonable price.

Edit:
I think the issue is, when someone is looking to buy a rolling chassis, it's usually for a race car, not to build a budget m coupe for street use. So they dgaf if your paint is immaculate, you're only the 2nd owner, you have brand new brakes and shocks (since they will be replaced), etc. So I suppose none of that really matters in assessing the value, and I've potentially over-estimated. But if it were my car and my situation, that's what I'd be looking to get out of it, or else I'd fix it and drive it or fix it and sell it.
Honestly, this doesn't even hurt to read. I think I've accepted this reality a long time ago. As much as I wanted an easy way out of the situation financially I don't think it was ever going to materialize. The other headache is dealing with selling a vehicle that can't really move, combined with maybe not even being present during the point of sale. That's tough. Moving forward!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Very good points, excellent points. And yes, you can (I have done this) ship the car for about 800 bucks. And like you said, there's the option to potentially pick it up and drive it back home, thereby not incurring the cost of shipping the engine back. (Depends on timing, storage, logistics.)

Plus, you get the not so small benefit of having a true professional remove/install. Lots of pluses here. Not the least of which is a forum member (you) close by. Lang would simply being doing their usual professional job, but in so doing, they'd help end a nightmare for one of those who serving our country. Heck they've already been quite helpful and supportive in the thread if I remember correctly.

The crowd-sourcing is interesting too.

Great discussion, I like where this is going.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
Saving a Z4 coupe is worth it to me; finding out how the story ends would be icing on the cake. I've never done it either but there are crowdfunding websites where you can set up a page and let people contribute. You said shipping costs put you off from using Lang, maybe we can scare up enough to cover it for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanne View Post
Reborn and Ron, spot on.. better to ship the whole car. Any headway made anywhere?
Alright gents, this all lead to a call to Andrew. He and I spoke for a good while and really not knowing how to pose questions likely made for a slightly awkward conversation. I asked him if he'd like to take on the job again and he was happy to do so. I also asked him about maybe taking apart and selling components from the other motor, with the fact that a professional was inspecting these parts before the sale to insure no one else would incur damages. He thought this was an interesting idea and we may be able to reduce some of the cost there. So what's the holdup?

Well, I am leaving and I have to store the car either way. The current motor will probably run a little bit, but not a long ways. It will be moved Friday afternoon I'll have some shots coming of the car and how it sits currently (and FINALLY GET MY SUNGLASSES BACK... hopefully). At any rate, it wasn't a feasible option to send him the car to work on it when I didn't have the money to pay for the job in full/deposit for a new motor currently and also would have to store the car with him or elsewhere while I was away for approximately another six months. We agreed that it would be best to contact him sometime before my return and we could start work on the car then. The other motor may or may not be taken apart at that time given his time restraints and obligations then.

So, what about the crowd-sourcing/chipping in? Well, as much as I want to do something currently, it just logistically doesn't make sense. I could send him the current motor to tear down and maybe make some money off of it while I'm away. But, I would be paying someone to do the work Andrew would already be doing for me and then crate a motor and pay shipping without the vehicle (as he would rather not store it on my behalf, I don't blame him it's a long time). I don't think it's responsible to ask folks for money when nothing will materialize until much later down the road. I wont lie, I'm the first one to admit when I need help and I always will humble myself for those who are willing to reach out and offer a hand, but in this situation I just think it's asking to reach too far. Maybe when we get there several months down the road, I'll throw something up for anyone who would still like to help, this wouldn't mean I'm holding anyone to it. I kind of wonder if some brands would pitch in (like parts and whatnot, even discounts as small as they may come) for the rebuild so I can rep them on a cross country drive or something. That would be a heck of a thing haha.

WHAT DOES THIS ALL MEAN SHANE?
Well it's progress, I suppose. It's going to put the car back in my possession but it wont be until around 8-10 months from now before we get to do anything with the car. I know that drags this out to what could potentially be someone's entire loan/lien/lease period which is crazy to think about. It will be something sweet to have the car back when I come back from deployment though... whew what a thought.

Reborn_ , This means I will most certainly take you up on that offer. Maybe I can hang out with Andrew and bug him some more and afterwards all go enjoy a cold one.

If you guys can think of another option moving forward to optimize the time until this can occur, let me know. I'm still open to ideas and making something happen. I just don't think it's financially feasible until later down the road.

Thanks again guys, from the bottom of my heart. I've likely said this too many times... but man... y'all keep kicking me in the feels in this thread. It keeps me rocking and my head up for all the times I have to come back and work this issue. Wouldn't be here without this thread.
inTgr8r2421.50
Redacre363.50
      07-27-2017, 02:09 AM   #355
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Well thought through Shane. This is a tough thing to think through clearly and rationally, and to also put a clear emotional dimension to as well. And you've acted, planned, and moved forward. That's a tricky tricky mix to navigate and make progress through!

You've not only taken advice/ideas into consideration, you've synthesized, reflected, and come to a well-reasoned and emotionally well considered set of decisions. And, again, taken action.

Restraint, conviction, integrity, acknowledgement of emotions, reasoning, and a willingness to listen and reflect. I only wish more folks were like you. I have great respect for that set of values in action and for you.
Appreciate 2
inTgr8r2421.50
Arsonism158.00
      07-27-2017, 07:55 AM   #356
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

I think you have a good plan. I wouldn't want to get involved with a project like this if I wasn't going to be around.

As someone that is somewhat concerned I could also end up in the boat of needing a new or replacement engine, do you care to tell us what the new estimate is? If you don't want to share the number it is fine with me.

I didn't see it quickly but assuming he is rebuilding an engine or is it a new engine?
      07-27-2017, 12:15 PM   #357
Reborn_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4MC

Feel free to PM me when you are getting ready to ship the car and I can help however I can (i.e. meet the car at Lang, etc.). You can get it kicked off a month or two before you return if you desire, and Andrew can take his time with it. I'll be on the boards and local, so reach out to me if I can be of assistance.

And yes, you've definitely earned some fun at my expense, and Andrew would definitely be welcome.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 11:48 PM   #358
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
I only wish more folks were like you. I have great respect for that set of values in action and for you.
Thank you for such kind words, they are not lost on me. I'm truly flattered by them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
As someone that is somewhat concerned I could also end up in the boat of needing a new or replacement engine, do you care to tell us what the new estimate is?

I didn't see it quickly but assuming he is rebuilding an engine or is it a new engine?
I would speak with Andrew directly about your situation and I don't want to "quote" his prices to a specific number, but you're going to look in the ballpark of around 10-13k depending on what you'd like to do and what needs to be done. He definitely seems to be the man for the job though.

Quote:
Feel free to PM me when you are getting ready to ship the car and I can help however I can (i.e. meet the car at Lang, etc.). You can get it kicked off a month or two before you return if you desire, and Andrew can take his time with it. I'll be on the boards and local, so reach out to me if I can be of assistance.

And yes, you've definitely earned some fun at my expense, and Andrew would definitely be welcome.
Oh man, I'd chip in don't get me wrong! I definitely pay back any hospitality, but it would be great to get everyone together. I'll be sure to stay in touch when things start rolling, pun intended.
      07-30-2017, 12:48 AM   #359
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep

So I picked up the car on Friday. Everything is pretty bittersweet because although it feels a bit like things are coming to a close, I really don't know how long the road is ahead of me. The endeavor has been crazy, and it's strange to be behind the wheel again. I wound up not towing the vehicle figuring I might as well drive on the new motor to see how it goes, and I've gotten around a little bit with it. There's still a healthy amount of fear behind it, who knows where it'll take me.

In the mean time, I was able to meet with JayL here in Austin and I've got some photos to share. Figure I'd throw them up for everyone.

Here are the two beauties side by side when they got back.

Engine as it sits currently.
New-ish Motor

Booties 2

Buds

Fronts

Here's the home of JayL's immaculate Schwarz/Cinnamon Coupe. Crazy beautiful combination.

JayL

I apologize for some of the photo quality, I was both excited and also in poor light conditions for some of them. It was a little ironic as JayL and I met, we both reinvigorated or passions for the Z4 M Coupe by reminding each other just how special these cars are. I can't be more happy that I had the experience to go out and see him. I'm sure it wont be the last time we link up.

I'll keep everyone posted on the rest of the journey. For now, it's mostly packing and preparing for the trip. JayL wants me to get an exhaust note/video for the new set up, and I think I still have one of the old. I'll see if I can't make that happen before I go.

Quick Edit

I was pretty dog tired when I posted that, but I had meant to share this as well.

When I was driving back from JayL's home, a guy pulled behind me and swerved hard to pass on the right and exit on what is more or less a frontage road. He was driving a decently modified RX-8 and had his windows down in Texas. When he rolled past me he must of noticed mine windows were also down because he stopped in the yielding right-hand turn lane and hollered "NICE CAR MAN"... now I really can't get over the Moupe. It's just not going to happen. Ever.

Last edited by Arsonism; 07-30-2017 at 03:07 PM..
Appreciate 5
wdb4673.00
Finnegan701.00
Vanne1593.00
NickyC17344.50
inTgr8r2421.50
      08-05-2017, 10:05 PM   #360
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Gday Shane, forgot to mention that yeah if your in Port mate, look us up. Fridge is always full of beers. Welcome any time man.