ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-08-2013, 09:43 AM   #1
ricanbandit
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 30i

Long Road trip ahead...

So I moved to FL and my M would not fit on the uhaul auto transport, bumper too low. So long story short, my bro takes it down to Northfield, NJ. I try to get an auto transport to pick it up and ship to me in Pompano. Nothing happened for three weeks!

So I figured I'd bite the bullet and drive it down myself. Now here's the question... Any one know of any good side road trips to make down the I95 corridor that make sense in this weather? I would love to do the Blueridge Parkway, but just not sure it will be open due to season. Any other shore/ beach rides maybe that can be recommended?

Really didn't want to add the miles to the car, but hey... Its a car and its made to run right?
      01-08-2013, 11:33 AM   #2
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1

South of the Border...
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 02:11 PM   #3
kennyfrc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricanbandit View Post
So I moved to FL and my M would not fit on the uhaul auto transport, bumper too low. So long story short, my bro takes it down to Northfield, NJ. I try to get an auto transport to pick it up and ship to me in Pompano. Nothing happened for three weeks!

So I figured I'd bite the bullet and drive it down myself. Now here's the question... Any one know of any good side road trips to make down the I95 corridor that make sense in this weather? I would love to do the Blueridge Parkway, but just not sure it will be open due to season. Any other shore/ beach rides maybe that can be recommended?

Really didn't want to add the miles to the car, but hey... Its a car and its made to run right?
Stop and visit savannah GA if youve never been.

Mods: OEM Euro Headers, RPI Scoop

Daily: 2010 Tacoma Double Cab
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 02:28 PM   #4
ricanbandit
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyfrc View Post
You know, I had thought of stopping at Savannah to find a hotel for the night, never though of checking out the town. Excellent suggestion.
      01-08-2013, 02:41 PM   #5
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
You could take a little detour and tour the BMW factory and museum in Spartanburg, SC where your car was built, although Z4s are no longer made there. That would add only a little over 100 miles.

Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 02:44 PM   #6
ricanbandit
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Z4MR View Post
You could take a little detour and tour the BMW factory and museum in Spartanburg, SC where your car was built, although Z4s are no longer made there. That would add only a little over 100 miles.
Another good one! May make it a three day trip instead of two
      01-08-2013, 03:13 PM   #7
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

TONS of great driving roads in the area N. of Spartanburg.
Cherohala is spectacular
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 03:15 PM   #8
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
RT 129 just north of Robbinsville is the Deals Gap (Tail of the Dragon).... See map above....^
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 06:20 PM   #9
kennyfrc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricanbandit View Post
You know, I had thought of stopping at Savannah to find a hotel for the night, never though of checking out the town. Excellent suggestion.
If you stop there try and get the Andaz Savannah hotel. Its great and the perfect location to all there is to see and do. Its a neat place to see, lots of live music, bars, and great food. Also if you go, have dinner at alligator soul.

Mods: OEM Euro Headers, RPI Scoop

Daily: 2010 Tacoma Double Cab
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 08:13 PM   #10
Virginia Bill
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 auto Maldive Blue

Driving I95 is a miserable experience more often than not, so you should look at alternatives.

One is to head west and pick up I81 in central Pa. You could then take I77 to central N. C., from where you have several options (including those mentioned above).

Or you could go east of I95, down the Delmarva peninsula. Look at route 1 from Newark, Del. to 13 down the center of the peninsula. Or you could go south in N. J. to Cape May, take the ferry to Lewes, then take 9 over to 13. Either way, you cross the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel to Hampton, Va. Then you can make your way to 17 and follow it to Charleston, S. C. I recently did this route from Delaware to Hampton and enjoyed it thoroughly.

Both routes would probably take longer than I95 but are infinitely more interesting.

The Blue Ridge is a lovely drive but very slow, and snow will close some sections. Check before you start.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 08:40 PM   #11
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MR silver grey

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyfrc View Post
Charleston as well. You could get off 95 and head east to Myrtle beach and then drive Hwy 17 south to Charleston, Beaufort, Hilton Head, then Savannah. How far south in Florida? I love to get off 95 at Jacksonville and head to Jax Beach, then drive A1A south through St. Augustine, Daytona ....... the drive through all those little coastal towns is cool. On many parts of 1A you can literally see the ocean to your left as you drive south......... you can take it all the way to the Keys

John
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 08:41 PM   #12
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MR silver grey

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia Bill View Post
Driving I95 is a miserable experience more often than not, so you should look at alternatives.

One is to head west and pick up I81 in central Pa. You could then take I77 to central N. C., from where you have several options (including those mentioned above).

Or you could go east of I95, down the Delmarva peninsula. Look at route 1 from Newark, Del. to 13 down the center of the peninsula. Or you could go south in N. J. to Cape May, take the ferry to Lewes, then take 9 over to 13. Either way, you cross the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel to Hampton, Va. Then you can make your way to 17 and follow it to Charleston, S. C. I recently did this route from Delaware to Hampton and enjoyed it thoroughly.

Both routes would probably take longer than I95 but are infinitely more interesting.

The Blue Ridge is a lovely drive but very slow, and snow will close some sections. Check before you start.

Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 08:48 PM   #13
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
If you decide on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel, the end dumps you out into Virginia Beach. Just head through VB and pick up I64E to pick up RT 17 and bypass most of the traffic, OR you could take I64E to RT58 out to Emporia (NC/VA border) and pick up 95S. 95 is great from there.... I drive from VB to RT 58 out past Emporia and head out to VIR....

Another way (as stated above) is to take I95 and pickup route 13 south from the Delaware Memorable Bridge all the way down the Delmarva peninsula to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel. I drive this route from VB to Connecticut five to seven times a year for work... It is a good drive.
On this path it take nine hours from Groton/New London CT. to VB.

If you decide to take 95 through and around DC, expect big delays....all the way past Quantico Va. It is always better to bypass DC by a large amount. I drive to DC a lot also....

RT 13 south has a lot less traffic than RT 17, and LESS traffic lights.. but either way are good relaxing drives..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia Bill View Post

Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 09:00 PM   #14
3point0
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2005 z4 3.0

Garage List
2006 Audi S4 Avant  [0.00]
2005 BMW Z4  [5.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
Where does this kind of map come from? I'd love something like this for my neck of the woods?

2005 Z4 3.0 steptronic | TiSilver on Black | sport & premium package | 108s | Msport seats | wind deflector
OMP strut bar | blacked out emblems | de-french-fried | sound gen | DIY aux input | custom speedo logos | stubby antenna | polished exhaust tips
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 10:06 PM   #15
strokeoluck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M roadster

Don't know that area well, but have been to Savannah and Charleston several times. LOVE Charleston, a very charming, old southern town/city. My experience in Savannah was very mixed. They have a stretch (forget the name of the street/s) with many neat city parks - lots of old homes up and down that road. But if you get just a block or two off that historic stretch, it gets ugly real quick. My wife and I visited there maybe 8-10 years ago and stayed at a B&B two blocks off that main drag...scary! Drug dealers on porches. But just a few blocks away on the "cute" historic street, Robert Redford was filming a movie in one of the old antebellum homes - we saw him!

Nowadays I would assume TripAdvisor and other review sites could point you in the right direction; wasn't really an option for us back in the day.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 06:11 AM   #16
ricanbandit
Captain
Rep

Thanks for the replies guys. Checked out the BlueRidge pkwy and most of it is closed. Deals Gap has always been a bucket list destination, but, again not sure about icy conditions on the road and don't want to make the detour just to have it be either closed or simply have to drive it too slow to be any fun.

I just drove down in an uhual truck from CT to Pompano so I know just how dreadful that I95 ride can be. Thanks for the suggestions on bypassing DC, I might just do that . I will be checking them all to see what makes sense. I do plan to hit A1A from Jax down to Daytona and then again from West Palm to Pompano.
      01-09-2013, 08:10 AM   #17
Walkurie
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 M Roadster / 99 Jaguar XK8

Sounds like you may be going soon, but if you happened to be going in early March, this is worth stopping for.

http://www.ameliaconcours.org/
      01-09-2013, 09:07 AM   #18
ricanbandit
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbalutis View Post
Sounds like you may be going soon, but if you happened to be going in early March, this is worth stopping for.

http://www.ameliaconcours.org/
Does seem like a worthy stop, but yes, I am doing it this Saturday. So after much deliberating, going to head down to Cape May take the ferry to Delaware and then cruise down until VA beach and from there pic up 95 again until I hit Savannah, spend the night there, then hit Jax beach in the Am cruise down A1A until I hit Daytona then 95 till West Palm and A1A from there to Pompano.

Should be a blast! Thanks for the suggestions guys, going to make sure oil is topped off, tire pressure set and of course feed the beast multiple times on the way down LOL
      01-09-2013, 09:59 AM   #19
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Word of warning. While driving on RT 13, 5MPH over only.... The locals look for ways to get money...
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 05:23 PM   #20
ricanbandit
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipkiller View Post
Word of warning. While driving on RT 13, 5MPH over only.... The locals look for ways to get money...
Thanks for the heads up! Will definitely keep my situation awareness on high
      01-09-2013, 05:25 PM   #21
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
One more thing, if you have a Radar Detector, keep it HIDDEN when you enter VA...
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 05:48 PM   #22
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Appreciate 0