ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > Marketplace > Classifieds : For Sale / Wanted / Group Buys
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-28-2011, 06:08 PM   #23
Twisted Six
CarbonFiber Engineer @ ZeroMassMotorsports
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4si-coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta View Post
It looks like a decently done mod, although the Z8 badge on the console is tacky. The price however is completely insane. A mod like this would detract from the price not increase it.

The only reason I'd ever buy a kit is to make it either significantly cheaper or better performing than the original. I have a buddy that has a 1950s porsche built on top of a 1990s porsche. He gets the power, steering, reliability, etc. of a modern porsche with a beautiful old-timey classic design. Sure it's kinda ridiculous but hey life is once and he loves his ride. I don't hate

If i'm ever baller enough (or win the lottery) the girlfriend is getting a Morgan SuperSports. If I'm super rich she's getting an MB special 540K Roadster (1-2 mil?). If no baller status is ever achieved she's getting a 540k replica and I'll build it with my kids
I see where your coming from. But from the Z8 owners I've spoken to that have driven the Z4's they said the Z8 was more torque...but less handling....so to your point of devalue.....not so much.

I built a Ferrari GTO on a Datsun 240-Z frame that had coil-overs and a heavily built NA engine hosting more HP than the real GTO had. No doubt it handled better than the original 60's tech. Best part was I could drive it like I stole while easily insured and easily maintained without worry.

Devalued ?? Not at all. Sold for 52K, no problem.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 09:09 PM   #24
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Schnitzer View Post
Devalued ?? Not at all. Sold for 52K, no problem.
That's really interesting, thanks for sharing. I never imagined there would be such a market for such a modified car. I've seen plenty of supercharged Z4Ms sell for the same price as regular Z4Ms and sit for a long time! So I assumed the more you modify the less you can get out of it, unless you happen to find the person that wants exactly those mods.
      10-29-2011, 03:20 AM   #25
l4zy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 15 i3, 17 M3 Frz Wht

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW i3 REX  [0.00]
1995 BMW M3  [10.00]
2013 BMW X3 xDrive35i  [7.00]
interesting car. glws
      10-29-2011, 12:18 PM   #26
JCz04Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta View Post
That's really interesting, thanks for sharing. I never imagined there would be such a market for such a modified car. I've seen plenty of supercharged Z4Ms sell for the same price as regular Z4Ms and sit for a long time! So I assumed the more you modify the less you can get out of it, unless you happen to find the person that wants exactly those mods.
I think supercharging a Z4M makes it a very nitch car. In reality, there's really only a small population of people who will not dismiss such a modification as a negative. Telling the unwashed masses that a supercharged car can actually be quite reliable if maintained isn't usually well-received. Hence they sit at high prices and eventually get sold for less.

Now, granted, in my opinion a replica like this doesn't deserve anywhere near the asking price because... is it really something more than a salvaged Z4 3.0i? On the other hand, throwing a handbuilt (?) Ferrari GTO replica body, lightweight I bet, on an otherwise pretty sweet Datsun 240Z with a built engine and coils? Ya, I can see that selling for a good amount of dough.
      10-29-2011, 11:19 PM   #27
Twisted Six
CarbonFiber Engineer @ ZeroMassMotorsports
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4si-coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCz04Bimmer View Post
I think supercharging a Z4M makes it a very nitch car. In reality, there's really only a small population of people who will not dismiss such a modification as a negative. Telling the unwashed masses that a supercharged car can actually be quite reliable if maintained isn't usually well-received. Hence they sit at high prices and eventually get sold for less.

Now, granted, in my opinion a replica like this doesn't deserve anywhere near the asking price because... is it really something more than a salvaged Z4 3.0i? On the other hand, throwing a handbuilt (?) Ferrari GTO replica body, lightweight I bet, on an otherwise pretty sweet Datsun 240Z with a built engine and coils? Ya, I can see that selling for a good amount of dough.
I won't be blinded of course by a major point that marketing niche cars like this is paramount to getting ones asking price.

Wrong audience....wrong price. You can't expect anyone to buy something out of the norm without also being informed and an enthusiast.

I have a Skyline R34 RB26dett engine and drive-train that's about to go into a well restored 73' 240-Z. It's about 650bhp with tons of nice mods including comfort.
I wouldn't even consider selling it on an audience like say...BIMMERforums or Sy/Ty.net.

But on NICO.com or HybridZ.net.......or even EGay.....sure. A similar one sold for 60k this past year.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 07:01 AM   #28
ZZZZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i winterbeater

Can't believe some of the comments in this thread.

This type of conversion without using a kit is a huge undertaking. Not only to get the body panels to fit tight, but also rewiring involved for the lighting, and rerouting for the dual exhaust coming out of the bumper. $35k is a more than fair price for this type of conversion. Remember, actual Z8's are in the $100k mark.

Now of course you don't get the 400HP, 370lb torque V8 and 0-60 time of 4.2 seconds. And it won't outhandle a Ferrari 360 modena in handling, acceleration, braking, and lateral grip as the actual Z8 does.

A couple observations:
1. accident title? The original post clearly says that the car has never been in an accident.

2. wheel gap. Assume the wheel gap is due to the actual Z8's 275/40/18 - 339mm rear tires, and 245/45/18 fronts (339mm radius as well). Going to need some good spacers and larger tires to fill the gap properly. Will throw off the speedometer and telematics for the GPS as well when a signal is lost.

3. side mirrors. To fabricate the Z8 mirrors to fit on the Z4 would be extremely difficult. The Z4 has the mirrors under the A pillar and blocking off part of the door windows. A Z8 mirror is mounted on the door metal itself which would mean the Z4 mirror mount would not only need to be cut off the door, but the door would require a custom window to fill that gap---the window will likely not be able to roll down in the existing door shell either.

Overall, a really good effort... I respect the amount of work done.

Only question---does it have the stock Z8 neon tubing lights?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 09:25 AM   #29
jra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2005 z4

I kind of like it...in serious need of new wheels/suspension
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 10:37 AM   #30
CJW2OO4
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86M,M2,F13 E86&E85M,E86,2E46

I appreciate the effort that went into building it but the question still remains why?

As for the thread title I think it was just a typo

Let me fix it.

Z8 mod '03 Z4 for sale $35.00 k?
Appreciate 0