ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Wheels and Tires
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-16-2012, 10:35 PM   #1
jdl1pt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4M coupe 2007 IL Blue

Help Needed, front wheel frozen to the hub!

Hey all,

I just bought new wheels and was getting ready to put them on when I found that my drivers front wheel seems to be frozen to the hub. And yes I had all the lugs off... I've had it off a few times before, but this time it just didn't budge. I only had a scissor jack so didn't want to lay into it hard, but at the end I was giving it everything I've got. Is it possible for the hub to rust to the wheel and fuze?

I tried, rubber mallet, WD40 around the inner and outer hub, and lots of elbow grease and nothing.

|OEM Strut bar|ZHP Knob lighted|RPI Scoop|Zeckhausen Modified CDV|DIY Clutch Stop|Camber shim kit|

Last edited by jdl1pt; 04-17-2012 at 01:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 10:40 PM   #2
dorifto88
Major
Rep
Drives: 88 Nissan Pathfinder

Pb blaster ?!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 10:47 PM   #3
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Had this happen too. Took a 2x4, padded it (towel), gave the 2x4 a tap with my 10 lb sledge. The 2x4 was a 16" section, and the 16" were between the sledge and the edge of the wheel/tire. It just needed a tap (not a whack).
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 10:48 PM   #4
Daemonblitz
Commander
Rep
Drives: Z4MC/M5/640iX/M1000RR

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [9.50]
2006 Z4M Coupe  [8.77]
2010 BMW S1000RR  [10.00]
My suggestion is put one of the lugs back on partially so the wheel doesn't fly off when it eventually does come off and keep at it with that rubber mallet from the inside part of the wheel. And next time throw on just a bit of high-temp anti seize around the hub so you don't have this issue in the future

Edit: Padded 2x4 + rubber mallet sounds a bit better than my original suggestion like Finnegan says.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 10:48 PM   #5
jdl1pt
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorifto88 View Post
Pb blaster ?!
??? please expand

Thanks!

|OEM Strut bar|ZHP Knob lighted|RPI Scoop|Zeckhausen Modified CDV|DIY Clutch Stop|Camber shim kit|
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 10:49 PM   #6
jdl1pt
Lieutenant
Rep

never mind found it http://www.pbblaster.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Had this happen too. Took a 2x4, padded it (towel), gave the 2x4 a tap with my 10 lb sledge. The 2x4 was a 16" section, and the 16" were between the sledge and the edge of the wheel/tire. It just needed a tap (not a whack).
Ron I'm not quite following you, was the 2x4 on the inside or outside of the wheel, or between the spokes ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonblitz View Post
My suggestion is put one of the lugs back on partially so the wheel doesn't fly off when it eventually does come off and keep at it with that rubber mallet from the inside part of the wheel. And next time throw on just a bit of high-temp anti seize around the hub so you don't have this issue in the future

Edit: Padded 2x4 + rubber mallet sounds a bit better than my original suggestion like Finnegan says.
Will use the anti seize next time, great idea.

Thanks both!

Last edited by jdl1pt; 04-16-2012 at 10:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 11:22 PM   #7
seank
enthusiast
Rep
Drives: e30 m3,e90 wagon,sprinter,z4m

Quote:
Will use the anti seize next time, great idea
Anti sieze wont work at those temperatures. Just anti squeak grease, like you put behind your brake pads. CV joint grease is also good at high temperatures.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 11:44 PM   #8
Bayonet
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 Mc

had this happen a few times....a stable floor jack and a good kick should do the trick
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 12:04 AM   #9
jdl1pt
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by seank View Post
Anti sieze wont work at those temperatures. Just anti squeak grease, like you put behind your brake pads. CV joint grease is also good at high temperatures.
Thanks for the info. BTW, you heading down Sat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayonet View Post
had this happen a few times....a stable floor jack and a good kick should do the trick
Well a "stable" floor jack was an issue, but thanks to Amazon 1day shipping, it won't be come Wed!!! Just picked this up. http://www.amazon.com/OTC-1532-Capac...4638803&sr=8-1

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 12:39 AM   #10
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdl1pt View Post
never mind found it http://www.pbblaster.com/

Ron I'm not quite following you, was the 2x4 on the inside or outside of the wheel, or between the spokes ?

Will use the anti seize next time, great idea.

Thanks both!
John, outside edge of the wheel right next to the tire. Gives the tap some leverage. Bayonet's approach essentially does the same thing, I just felt I had more control with the tap. The sharp shock plus leverage knocks it free. I have one of these which is handy for things like this (wheel won't drop) and it makes putting the wheel back on much easier when working by yourself.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 01:21 AM   #11
jdl1pt
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
John, outside edge of the wheel right next to the tire. Gives the tap some leverage. Bayonet's approach essentially does the same thing, I just felt I had more control with the tap. The sharp shock plus leverage knocks it free. I have one of these which is handy for things like this (wheel won't drop) and it makes putting the wheel back on much easier when working by yourself.
I'm with you now.

I saw the wheel pin long ago. Now that I have a second set of rims, and may be swapping more often, I may pick one up.

Pics of the new rims mounted will be up Thursday (fingers crossed)

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 11:41 PM   #12
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

Had this happen on a couple of cars. I use what I call "Donkey Kicks". Get on your butt sitting in front of the wheel and give some swift kicks with both feet on the lower edge of the wheel/tire!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 12:12 AM   #13
jdl1pt
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elerner61 View Post
Had this happen on a couple of cars. I use what I call "Donkey Kicks". Get on your butt sitting in front of the wheel and give some swift kicks with both feet on the lower edge of the wheel/tire!

The rubber mallet to the back of the wheel finally did the trick!

Thanks everyone for your thoughts, this forum is awesome!

Appreciate 0