ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-15-2015, 03:14 PM   #1
Kim Schwartz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 128i

right and left DISA etc.

I have a 2006 3.0si coupe. I went to check the right DISA and found it stuck in the open position so I replaced it. Two questions.
Is there a DIY on removing the intake manifold to access the left DISA?

Also, there was a little oil visible inside the intake manifold when I had the right DISA out. I'm guessing this is not normal. Any thoughts on why it is there and what to do?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 12:00 PM   #2
Big_CG
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Schwartz View Post
I have a 2006 3.0si coupe. I went to check the right DISA and found it stuck in the open position so I replaced it. Two questions.
Is there a DIY on removing the intake manifold to access the left DISA?

Also, there was a little oil visible inside the intake manifold when I had the right DISA out. I'm guessing this is not normal. Any thoughts on why it is there and what to do?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
What are you referring to by right and left? There is upper and lower, or large and small.

Find the DIY on the 3 stage manifold swap for N52 and that will show you how to remove.

Just because the DISA was open when you removed it doesn't mean its bad. It may default to open when the engine is off. The only way to check is to run the test in INPA or to remove it from the intake manifold while still connected, and rev the engine up.

Oil in the intake manifold is from the CCV system and is normal. Its been on every intake manifold that I have removed.

Link to pics and removal:

http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewto...p?f=34&t=36349
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 04:22 PM   #3
Kim Schwartz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 128i

The intake manifold on the 3.0si has two DISA units. When look the engine from the front of the car, one is on the left and one is on the right. The one on the left seemingly cannot be accessed without removing the manifold. I am assuming that the DISA I replaced was not working properly as the engine works noticeably better than it did before.Particularly at lower rpm's. Of course now that the engine is working better, I'm less inclined to take the manifold off to look at the other one. But there is still the question about the little bit of oil I found in the manifold . Thanks for the link.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 10:06 AM   #4
drewski429
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si Sport 6MT

INPA test will only give you the position of the motor which turns the actuator arm attached to the DISA flap itsself; thus, there is no way to test the physical functionality of the flap. Failing DISA unit(s) typically show their malfunction when first starting the car: the revs may bounce up and down and blips of the throttle may also come close to stalling the car for the first 30 seconds or so until the computer adjusts.

Typically, the plastic actuator goes into a hex socket at the base of the flap, the shape wears away and eventually slippage gives way to the flap being completely loose flapping back and forth in the airflow.

The M54 engine (no valvetronic) has 1 DISA which I've repaired with an anodized aluminum replacement flap and actuator arm from ebay @$39.

My newer N52 with valvetronic has 2 DISA units, one smaller and one larger, neither of which can be repaired and the unit that Kim says is hard to get to requires removal of the intake manifold.

Buy an IM gasket kit if your vehicle needs it, and you can follow either the "S54 intake swap" thread or the PCV valve youtube videos.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 10:08 AM   #5
drewski429
Rep

Oil film is normal. The PCV valve holds an even air pressure throughout the oil feed/evap system, and atomized oil will be everywhere throughout that system including the intake plenum chambers, no matter what, in a high performance engine like this.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 10:21 AM   #6
drewski429
Rep

I may stand corrected, the new double-DISA units are sealed and not serviceable, but one may cut open and glue together after installing THIS BEAUTY and saving $180 by not buying a new valve. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Repair-kit-f...lWTM7R&vxp=mtr
Appreciate 0