ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-06-2010, 02:34 AM   #1
SAVAGE
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si Coupe

Strange Noise

Hey Guys,

Was wondering if any of you can explain this to me?

I was on the skidbpan yesterday and as i exited it I noticed a strange noise coming from the rear wheels. Is almost sounded like something had broken, really hard to explain but the noise was like a clicking on every wheel rotation like something was touching the ground.

This only happened when I turned the front wheels? Going in a straight line was fine but they noise only appeared when I turned.

I switched the car off for 20 min and then drove it again and it was fine??

Any idea what happened? Some electronic diff lock or something?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 07:26 PM   #2
k2pilot
flying things.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC, B8 S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAVAGE View Post
Hey Guys,

Was wondering if any of you can explain this to me?

I was on the skidbpan yesterday and as i exited it I noticed a strange noise coming from the rear wheels. Is almost sounded like something had broken, really hard to explain but the noise was like a clicking on every wheel rotation like something was touching the ground.

This only happened when I turned the front wheels? Going in a straight line was fine but they noise only appeared when I turned.

I switched the car off for 20 min and then drove it again and it was fine??

Any idea what happened? Some electronic diff lock or something?
i have the exact same noise, or so i think, i have the same symptoms atleast. i'd been hunting it for some time, at first i thought it was the brakes just making a dragging noise of sorts perhaps from a rock, and it sounded like it was coming from the back. but after enough investigation and finding a means to consistently induce the noise, i think it's something in the power steering. try doing a slow circle in a large lot, and slowly up your speed/turning force, if it's like mine you should begin to hear the noise and maybe a bit of the power steering pump or something of the sort. so far on 3 ocassions i've gotten it so far as to actually have the pump(or something in the rack and pinion) make a constant belt/pump whine from very hard/fast turns(going through an intersection while throttling significantly). shutting it down then causes the pump noise to cease. atleast this way we know the source of the noise is somewhere up front in the rack and pinion.
      04-08-2010, 12:02 AM   #3
RussRamz
M Slut
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe Mineral White

Sounds like it's the differential if it's coming from the rear. You can often reduce the noise by getting into a large parking lot, introduce full lock into the steering and do ten or so circles to the left/right and again in the opposite direction.

This noise is not abnormal if this is in fact what is causing the noise.

David Brent
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 01:40 AM   #4
SAVAGE
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si Coupe

Thanks guys ill give it a try
Appreciate 0