ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-11-2016, 12:05 PM   #45
tiltmode43
I plead the 5th.
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Frontier Pro-4X, '06 Z4MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfanatic325 View Post
I have the SS unresonated x-pipe and the SS race muffler canisters, and felt zero discernible difference in power. In unopened/untouched NA form, the S54 with MSS70 ECU pretty much only gains power by changing out the 2-to-4 catalytic converters (depending which market your car was produced for), along with a tune. Every other bolt-on mod is trivial unfortunately. And anything more than that (altering engine internals) requires significant investment in terms of time/cost
This was my thinking as well, I've got the full aftermarket Intake/Header/S1/S2/Muffler/Tune sha-bang. Got curious as those dynos looked like they had different peaks, but wasn't sure what the comparisons were of. Would be interesting to see!

| Z4M Build Thread | @violetnites | flickr |
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 12:09 PM   #46
AriuSen
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Being installed at this moment ss headers v1, section 1 and 2 with ss race muffler along with epic tune.... Will post the video when installed. Not expecting crazy amount of gain... But let's see
      04-01-2016, 06:08 PM   #47
habitat412
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 M Coupe

Just thought I would share this because I was curious myself and wanted to find out, but the Amuse Ericsson exhaust system for the Z4M is available for order from Amuse through Bulletproof Automotive. The system goes for $6195 + domestic shipping costs.

"As of right now we are pretty limited on photos for that exhaust. In terms of configurations, they only this exhaust as a whole cat/down pipe back system. As the cats are located on the down pipes this exhaust would not give you the option for non cats, but we can remove resonators throughout the midpipe for what we call the race version.

For burn amounts, I have attached the diagram below that explains their options. Personally I have a thing for the B Tail with Gold ring haha."

This was the reply back from an associate over at Bulletproof Automotive. Looks like I'll be getting myself ahold of one of these pretty soon! As this is very rare to come by as is anyways.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 06:34 PM   #48
tiltmode43
I plead the 5th.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitat412 View Post
Just thought I would share this because I was curious myself and wanted to find out, but the Amuse Ericsson exhaust system for the Z4M is available for order from Amuse through Bulletproof Automotive. The system goes for $6195 + domestic shipping costs.

"As of right now we are pretty limited on photos for that exhaust. In terms of configurations, they only this exhaust as a whole cat/down pipe back system. As the cats are located on the down pipes this exhaust would not give you the option for non cats, but we can remove resonators throughout the midpipe for what we call the race version.

For burn amounts, I have attached the diagram below that explains their options. Personally I have a thing for the B Tail with Gold ring haha."

This was the reply back from an associate over at Bulletproof Automotive. Looks like I'll be getting myself ahold of one of these pretty soon! As this is very rare to come by as is anyways.

Please, please... PLEASE! KEEP US POSTED!!!

Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 06:52 PM   #49
habitat412
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Will do! I'm pretty excited myself.

They even mentioned that if I was willing to spend the money for it they could get Amuse to build a titanium exhaust manifold like they did for the S2000 and E92 M3's, but that's a whole different story for another day!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 12:08 AM   #50
AriuSen
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

04-30-2016, 04:33 PM   #51
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Supersprint Powerloop

Video of Supersprint Powerloop. Direct bolt-on to stock x-pipe. Rest of exhaust is stock.

http://vid1070.photobucket.com/album...9DC008FD2F.mp4

Supersprint Installed:

Comparing Supersprint Powerloop (L) tips to Stromung tips (R):

Salty
Aux Port|LED Interior|LED Strip Trunk|Underseat First Aid Box|Stubby Antenna|Intravee II|BMW Oil Change Kit|Top Down Side Panels|Vibra Technics Engine Mounts|Rogue Trans Mounts|Engine Mount Bolts Upgrade|RS Windblocker|Euro Front Plate|M5 Illum Shift Knob|Supersprint Powerloop Exhaust|Gruppe-M Intake|RPI Scoop|Black Grills|19x8.5 ET35 F 19x9.5 ET22 R Sportline 8s PSS| Besian Vanos|CDV Delete

Last edited by SaltyNC; 04-30-2016 at 07:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 05:38 PM   #52
tiltmode43
I plead the 5th.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyNC View Post
Video of Supersprint Powerloop. Direct bolt-on to stock x-pipe. Rest of exhaust is stock.

http://vid1070.photobucket.com/album...9DC008FD2F.mp4

Stromung Installed:

Comparing Supersprint Powerloop (L) tips to Stromung tips (R):

Salty
How do the two compare/which do you like better?

Visually, my vote goes to the SS powerloops

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 08:10 PM   #53
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltmode43 View Post

It is a very hard call. Off-throttle, they are about the same. Nice gurgles and pops from both. Hard throttle, especially in upper gears, the vote goes to the Supersprint Powerloops. They sort of growl. That's nice. For more relaxed driving, the vote goes to Stromung. The Stromung make a nice exhaust note where the Supersprint is practically silent in relaxed driving.

I wanted to try the Supersprint, because I was getting some droning especially under load in 6th gear with the Stromung, but I'm getting it with the Supersprint, as well, though it is reduced. So, I now think it is something further up the exhaust chain. Something is probably touching a heat shield or something is torqued too tight. I noticed when I would tap my passenger side exhaust, it returned a thud, but when I tapped the driver's side exhaust, it had a resonance. I think that is the source of the drone. That side is resonating somewhere beyond the muffler.

As far as construction, the Supersprint Powerloop is a heavy exhaust. It's made very well. Very nice welds. The Stromung is quite a bit lighter, but it is also made well, but the nod on construction probably goes to the Supersprint Powerloop. The Supersprint also has slots in the mounting brackets. That is a brilliant idea. Fitment was very easy with stock hanger hardware with the Supersprint. To get the best fitment with the Stromung, the DKF hanger is very handy.

I do like the slightly bigger size of the tips of the Supersprint, but the rolled edge of the Stromung tips look nicer to my eye. If the Stromung tip size was larger, I would prefer the Stromung. Probably personal preference that will go 50/50 in a crowd.

I am keeping the Supersprint Powerloop, but if I hadn't had the droning, I would have never even looked at another exhaust, and it probably was never the Stromung causing the droning. You really can't go wrong with either of these exhausts if you want something louder and deeper than stock, but don't want an exhaust that sets off car alarms.

BTW, I corrected my initial picture. I had it listed as Stromung Installed, but it should have read Supersprint Installed.

Salty
Aux Port|LED Interior|LED Strip Trunk|Underseat First Aid Box|Stubby Antenna|Intravee II|BMW Oil Change Kit|Top Down Side Panels|Vibra Technics Engine Mounts|Rogue Trans Mounts|Engine Mount Bolts Upgrade|RS Windblocker|Euro Front Plate|M5 Illum Shift Knob|Supersprint Powerloop Exhaust|Gruppe-M Intake|RPI Scoop|Black Grills|19x8.5 ET35 F 19x9.5 ET22 R Sportline 8s PSS| Besian Vanos|CDV Delete

Last edited by SaltyNC; 05-01-2016 at 02:13 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2016, 08:26 PM   #54
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyNC
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltmode43 View Post

It is a very hard call. Off-throttle, they are about the same. Nice gurgles and pops from both. Hard throttle, especially in upper gears, the vote goes to the Supersprint Powerloops. They sort of growl. That's nice. For more relaxed driving, the vote goes to Stromung. The Stromung make a nice exhaust note where the Supersprint is practically silent in relaxed driving.

I wanted to try the Supersprint, because I was getting some droning especially under load in 6th gear with the Stromung, but I'm getting it with the Supersprint, as well, though it is reduced. So, I now think it is something further up the exhaust chain. Something is probably touching a heat shield or something is torqued too tight. I noticed when I would tap my passenger side exhaust, it returned a thud, but when I tapped the driver's side exhaust, it had a resonance. I think that is the source of the drone. That side is resonating somewhere beyond the muffler.

As far as construction, the Supersprint Powerloop is a heavy exhaust. It's made very well. Very nice welds. The Stromung is quite a bit lighter, but it is also made well, but the nod on construction probably goes to the Supersprint Powerloop. The Supersprint also has slots in the mounting brackets. That is a brilliant idea. Fitment was very easy with stock hanger hardware with the Supersprint. To get the best fitment with the Stromung, the DKF hanger is very handy.

I do like the slightly bigger size of the tips of the Supersprint, but the rolled edge of the Stromung tips look nicer to my eye. If the Stromung tip size was larger, I would prefer the Stromung. Probably personal preference that will go 50/50 in a crowd.

I am keeping the Supersprint Powerloop, but if I hadn't had the droning, I would have never even looked at another exhaust, and it probably was never the Stromung causing the droning. You really can't go wrong with either of these exhausts if you want something louder and deeper than stock, but don't want an exhaust that sets off car alarms.

BTW, I correct my initial picture. I had it listed as Stromung Installed, but it should have read Supersprint Installed.

Salty
Great review. Sounds like a coin toss to me!

Thing with the wider tips--great for street but on track can move and melt plastic.
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2017, 01:24 AM   #55
tikamak
Captain
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Roadster TiAG/black

Is there anyone with a header back 3 inch exhaust setup ?

Especially the supercharged Ms as their gain is the largest
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2017, 01:48 AM   #56
habitat412
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I actually run a custom dual 3" setup from header back with no cats and no resonators. It is obnoxiously loud and that would be saying it lightly.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 12:41 AM   #57
tikamak
Captain
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Roadster TiAG/black

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitat412 View Post
I actually run a custom dual 3" setup from header back with no cats and no resonators. It is obnoxiously loud and that would be saying it lightly.
Do you have some pics or some videos?
also are you supercharged ?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 03:56 AM   #58
habitat412
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

No, sorry. I'm not supercharged.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2018, 12:22 PM   #59
A.Lach.
Registered
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

HARTGE,
Definetely existed, I bought mine with them.
Serial Numbers: 18850750 and 18850751.
Can be heard at:

Some photos
https://photos.google.com/album/AF1Q...mf3gX8FWVfS_ah

Last edited by A.Lach.; 12-29-2018 at 03:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 01:59 PM   #60
JimBob0047
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR

If you didn't know already Status Gruppe offers headers and section 1 for our cars. All the options aren't listed under Z4m but if they have it for the e46 M3 they will build it for the Z4m at no extra cost. That means catted section 1s with bungs for those wanting to run the cat less headers and not throw a CEL. I just ordered a resonated section one to get rid of the rasp on my AFE exhaust.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      02-10-2019, 09:40 PM   #61
Boosted 1
Where Does He Get Those Wonderful Toys?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 M coupe, Gx470, M2 PE

Mine sounds great! Been on the M for over 2 years now.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0