ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Cosmetics Modification (Exterior/Interior) Discussions
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-22-2016, 10:49 AM   #1
NHZED4
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 z4 3.0i roadster

Garage List
Another Soft Top Issue

I've read numerous threads on the subject, but of course none of them match my situation.

Last night I decided to drop the top and stopped on the road and hit the down button. NADA, the light flashed but no unlock, no pump no windows: NADA.
The RED light flashed continuously until I shut down and stopped, never to be seen again. Even after restart, NO light at all. Today, I checked the 3 fuses with a multimeter; all good. I then checked the switch in the trunk; it was intact and clicked as I worked the arm in and out. I figured I would have seen an orange light if this was faulty, but it was red only. I then disengaged the pump valve and manually unlocked the roof front window lock with the allen wrench as per owners manual. I then manually put the roof down and up and close to locking up. I had the windows partly opened. I then closed the pump valve, turned on the ignition and hit the close button to shut and lock the top. All I got was a flashing red light and NADA. It is amazing how complicated these things are and how many controllers participate in this movement. I am at a loss and hope the talented peeps on this fine forum can help me out here.
Thanks in advance

Last edited by NHZED4; 09-23-2016 at 08:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 12:36 PM   #2
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Did you also use the two black plastic knobs under each trunk lid hinge to raise and lower the rear dash? It moves up to make more cargo space in the trunk by moving into the space the soft top lowers into. With the dash raised up, the roof is completely locked out and will not operate.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 06:58 PM   #3
NHZED4
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
Did you also use the two black plastic knobs under each trunk lid hinge to raise and lower the rear dash? It moves up to make more cargo space in the trunk by moving into the space the soft top lowers into. With the dash raised up, the roof is completely locked out and will not operate.
Absolutely, it was lowered already and I've never raised it. But wouldn't I have seen an orange light at the console?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 08:09 PM   #4
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Not sure. But to be safe I would flip the dash up and back down just to confirm that these things are not the cause. Good luck!!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 05:11 AM   #5
NHZED4
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Not sure. But to be safe I would flip the dash up and back down just to confirm that these things are not the cause. Good luck!!
Not sure what you mean by flip the dash up and back down.. If you mean the rear platform for the top in the trunk, i did many times and toggled the switch atleast 8 times. I was going to remove the switch to bypass, but after removing the torx screw, I couldn't get the switch plate to come out.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 08:49 AM   #6
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Yup that's what I meant. To be clear, there are two knobs that you twist - located in the trunk and below each hinge. If you did that and the top still will not operate, those knobs and the switch are not the problem.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 09:07 AM   #7
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHZED4 View Post
Absolutely, it was lowered already and I've never raised it. But wouldn't I have seen an orange light at the console?
Yes, you get orange light if the storage compartment tray isn't down. The shade of orange isn't much different from the red so many don't notice the difference.

Sounds like the top controller has detected a fault somewhere. When that happens it freezes movement of the top to prevent damage.There are two Hall effect position sensors mounted on the top area of the hydraulic lift cylinder on the driver side of the top. One of those could be bad or it's possible there was a power glitch to the top controller and it's a false fault.
I'd try pulling all the fuses that supply power to the top and the top controller for a couple minutes and then reinstalling them. That should cause the top controller to do a cold reboot and it may get the top operating again if it was a false fault. Disconnecting the battery for a few minutes will do the same thing, but you'll lose you window position settings and have to do the position calibration. It's easy to do so no real issue there. With the windows up, turn the ignition to the on position. Put the drivers window down by holding the button down continuously until the window is down, and then keep holding the button down for at least 10 seconds. Put the window back up the same way and keep holding the button in the up position for at least 10 seconds. Do this for both windows.
      09-23-2016, 09:07 AM   #8
NHZED4
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yup that's what I meant. To be clear, there are two knobs that you twist - located in the trunk and below each hinge. If you did that and the top still will not operate, those knobs and the switch are not the problem.

Won't I have seen a yellow light in the console if they were the problem?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 09:11 AM   #9
NHZED4
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright View Post
Yes, you get orange light if the storage compartment tray isn't down. The shade of orange isn't much different from the red so many don't notice the difference.

Sounds like the top controller has detected a fault somewhere. When that happens it freezes movement of the top to prevent damage.There are two Hall effect position sensors mounted on the top area of the hydraulic lift cylinder on the driver side of the top. One of those could be bad or it's possible there was a power glitch to the top controller and it's a false fault.
I'd try pulling all the fuses that supply power to the top and the top controller for a couple minutes and then reinstalling them. That should cause the top controller to do a cold reboot and it may get the top operating again if it was a false fault. Disconnecting the battery for a few minutes will do the same thing, but you'll lose you window position settings and have to do the position calibration. It's easy to do so no real issue there. With the windows up, turn the ignition to the on position. Put the drivers window down by holding the button down continuously until the window is down, and then keep holding the button down for at least 10 seconds. Put the window back up the same way and keep holding the button in the up position for at least 10 seconds. Do this for both windows.
I disconnected the battery yesterday hoping to reboot the system. I will do the window resets later and will keep you posted.
Thanks DC

I reconnected the battery yesterday and still NADA. There are supposed to be 2 relays in the circuit, but I can't find them; any ideas?

Last edited by NHZED4; 09-25-2016 at 04:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 04:46 PM   #10
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHZED4 View Post
Won't I have seen a yellow light in the console if they were the problem?
I'll see if I can grab some time over the weekend to check my car for you!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2016, 05:18 AM   #11
NHZED4
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Yesterday I removed the trunk top compartment microswitch and checked with an ohm meter...NFG. I then took a staple and inserted it into the female plug end to bypass and tadahh, my top opened and closed like new. I can honestly say thanks to all who responded and I never saw an orange warning lite at the dash switch. I've never raised the compartment, so I guess the switch failed from lack of use. I have a new switch coming from ECS Tuning for under $38 delivered.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2016, 10:39 PM   #12
tiltmode43
I plead the 5th.
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Frontier Pro-4X, '06 Z4MR

Good stuff, congrats on DIY problem solving & fix via forum support!

| Z4M Build Thread | @violetnites | flickr |
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2016, 10:24 AM   #13
NHZED4
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltmode43 View Post
Good stuff, congrats on DIY problem solving & fix via forum support!
Thanx Matt!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 08:43 AM   #14
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

That microswitch is the devil's work! I never even think of moving the parcel shelf up.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 04:23 PM   #15
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MR silver grey

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by elerner61 View Post
That microswitch is the devil's work! I never even think of moving the parcel shelf up.
Yes it is, I hate that design
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 03:30 PM   #16
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by elerner61 View Post
Only to get the battery box off. Little use for any other purpose.