ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-09-2007, 12:27 PM   #1
Z4Drew
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 2.5i

Z4 Retrofit - Cruise Control, OBC, Multi-Function Wheel

Hello everyone,

I wanted to get a post going along the topic of retro-fitting features to my 2003 Z4 2.5i. I have done quite a bit of searching the various forums on the topic and am yet to find any definitive answer other than for the cruise control which appears is an easy retro-fit.

Cruise Control - I seem to see that for cars with a pre 10/04 build date that installing a cruise control is simply a matter of installing the cruise control stalk and the lower cowl trim piece which will be needed to fit the stalk. Can anyone confirm this to be true? My second question wit regards to cruise is that my dealer quoted me $155 for the stalk and $163 for the cowl trim. Does this sound odd to anyone else that a simple piece of plastic trim costs more than the switch? Could he have been quoting me the wrong part?

Multi-Function Steering wheel controls - From what I have gathered the multi-function wheel can also be retro-fitted. I have found a kit on eBay that comes with all trim, buttons and wires for $299. My dealer says there may be more to it than that but it seems I have read elsewhere that it is pretty straight forward. I actually have located the controls & trim. What I am lacking are part numbers of the three wires that connect everything. One is a small harness. The other two are single wires with pins on the end that you add to the existing radio harness which has empty slots in it. Can anyone give any insight as to what wires are needed? I can get the trim and buttons for around $100 so I could save a lot of money over the 'kit' if I could figure out what those wires are.

OBC - The on board computer also seems to be 'in the car' already and I have read that simply adding the OBC stalk will allow use of the additional functions. Can any confirm this?

I would be VERY appreciative if anyone could provide me with information about how to go about retro-fitting these items in the most cost effective and closest to a plug-n-play as possible.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post! I look forward to being an active user of this forum!

Best Regards,

Drew
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 05:33 PM   #2
SDCoupe
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Reviving an old topic. Does anybody know if it's possible to retrofit a 2007 with cruise control? Is it simply buying the stalk and plugging it in and then setting the OBC to recognize it?
Appreciate 0