ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-14-2016, 12:39 PM   #1
Ricardosaurusrex
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 2.5i

Rear output shaft/axel part number help!

Hi, i am looking to replace the rear output shaft (part that goes from the differential to the wheel) on my 2003 bmw z4 e85 2.5i manual transmission. however i am encountering a problem with finding the right one. i ordered part number 33211229708 from ECS tuning and it did not look like the one that came off of my bmw. on the one from ECS tuning, the flex plate or bushing (the part between the two plates that attach to the differential) is much wider than the one on my bmw (the two covering plates are almost touching).

the one off of my bmw
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/q0gAAO...RF/s-l1600.jpg

the one from ECS
https://c1552172.ssl.cf0.rackcdn.com/785461_x800.jpg

i was wondering if anyone knows the difference and could help me locate the exact part i need as i am unable to fit the one from ECS tuning on my vehicle.

Thank you all for your help.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 04:19 PM   #2
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

If you bought anything other than an OEM driveshaft you will not be happy.
I returned the FEQ brand I bought from ECS due to misaligned holes in the covering plates
which did not line up with the mounting flange on the end of the driveshaft.
Once installed and driving they clunked so bad I had to return them.

To answer your question.
Don't look at the gap between the cover plates instead compress both new and old shafts and measure from the face where the axle bolts to the diff and to where the splines start on the other end. Compare those measurements.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 06:04 PM   #3
dre99gsx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1994 Toyota Supra

33211229708 is the correct part number for your vehicle. ECS must have screwed something up, or their computer system is assuming the shafts fit all Z4s when there are in fact small differences between each variant. It should be a 86mm length shaft.