ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-25-2017, 08:54 AM   #1
AndrewJM928
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

The Drive - Best ten-year-old sportscar

Came across this video this morning, and thought some of you might enjoy it. http://www.thedrive.com/video/8603/w...ar-you-can-buy
Appreciate 3
KevinM2935.50
bosstones1154.00
inTgr8r2425.50
      03-25-2017, 09:34 AM   #2
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2014 MB GLK

Thanks for the link, very interesting video. I always enjoy car reviews both for entertainment and information. The one thing I often find though is that most of the reviews are so strongly biased towards maximum performance, who gets round the ring the fastest etc. And that creates the push to bet the latest and greatest performance features. I get the marketing, but frankly I can scare the shit out of myself with my Z as much as I could with a newer more teched up better performance numbers car. Many of these reviews don't talk about the actual real world driving that most of us do. I love driving my Z4MC, I've had Porsches and other sports car. The Z is different and I think these guys spoke to that as opposed to the hard nuts comparison between the Z and Cayman or what ever. Again, a good watch....just my two cents.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2017, 02:30 PM   #3
flicky
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe, '14 X1

hmm I wonder what this means for the values of our cars That being said, I've always felt the z4m coupe never got enough respect in the mainstream--maybe this'll change things a bit?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2017, 02:49 PM   #4
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

All they do is talk! WTF.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2017, 03:20 PM   #5
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2014 MB GLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
All they do is talk! WTF.
not enough budget to drift around the ring?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2017, 05:55 PM   #6
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Greatest cars nobody seems to know about. I can't take a drive in mine without at least 2-5 compliments from other people every trip. People just love the car.
Appreciate 2
RABAUKE4658.00
      03-26-2017, 12:58 PM   #7
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

10 years in and I still love driving mine. My only gripe is a 1st world problem: need better audio options since mp3 discs don't play well in the stock headunit.
      03-27-2017, 01:39 PM   #8
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
10 years in and I still love driving mine. My only gripe is a 1st world problem: need better audio options since mp3 discs don't play well in the stock headunit.
That is what the AUX jack is for!
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 02:10 PM   #9
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

lol aux jack?
Loads of mp3 cd emulators that let you use steering controls and get title info on the screen to use with an sd card or iphone playlist etc.

But what was that wining from them about the roadsters?
'we have to talk about that in a minute' and it never came back?

Nothing is nicer than when the sun comes out to get the roof off and enjoy the sunshine. At least in parts where there are 4 seasons.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 05:23 PM   #10
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MR silver grey

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
All my burned MP3 discs play great in my head unit. Don't want to jinx myself, but I never have any problems. 98% of the time all the metadata shows artist/song/folder info correctly as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 07:36 PM   #11
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Garage List
Article could not have come at a more opportune time - drove a Lotus Elise all weekend on the best CA backroads and came home with a severe case of Lotus desire....

Slowly backing myself away from the ledge...
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 08:32 AM   #12
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
lol aux jack?
Loads of mp3 cd emulators that let you use steering controls and get title info on the screen to use with an sd card or iphone playlist etc.

But what was that wining from them about the roadsters?
'we have to talk about that in a minute' and it never came back?

Nothing is nicer than when the sun comes out to get the roof off and enjoy the sunshine. At least in parts where there are 4 seasons.
Out of curiosity what are you referring to? I have been using the OEM iPod connector with my business unit and it works fine, but has no artist info. I would love to be able to use an SD card and have artist info on the display.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 08:36 AM   #13
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Zed View Post
Article could not have come at a more opportune time - drove a Lotus Elise all weekend on the best CA backroads and came home with a severe case of Lotus desire....

Slowly backing myself away from the ledge...
Back away from the ledge... Slowly!!!
Nothing to see here.. move along please..

Appreciate 1
86Zed932.00
      03-28-2017, 11:27 AM   #14
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Did that car belong to a member here? Looks familiar.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 01:26 PM   #15
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
Out of curiosity what are you referring to? I have been using the OEM iPod connector with my business unit and it works fine, but has no artist info. I would love to be able to use an SD card and have artist info on the display.
There is for instance the GROM interface:
http://gromaudio.com/store/all-bmwt.html

Does usb audio (mp3 tag display; 6 folders directly accesseble, iphone/android a2dp and playlist playback. Also bluetooth carkit posibility, so very versitile, only mp3 playback from usb stick is somewhat limited.

There's the intravee:
http://www.toysinyourcar.com/acatalog/intravee.html
thats an alpine ainet interface, so the ainet iphone interface is accesible (so playlist accesibility)

And if you're content with playing mp3's from an sd card (this is also the one I have) there's the cp600BMW which probably has the best mp3 integration because you can both select 6 directories, but within that directory you can skip subdirectories: so if you have in each of those 6 main directories (accesseble like it were a cd in a changer) say 25 albums with a total of 500 songs you can skip albums within that main directory.
http://lifestyle.maintronic.de/en/pr...p3-player.html
Not cheap though and I dont know if theres a usa distributor. Audio quality is very good and it has (apart from the analog output) also a build in digital output if you're one of the few that has a bmw with digital dsp.
Being able to change subdirectories in those 6 main folders gives you the ability to find specific albums within reasonable comfort.
But you cant get a directorylist with for example all subdirectories. (That is not possible with any of them except for the next option)

And if you want something really fancy, take a raspberry pi with pibus:
http://pibus.info/
Lets you control an in car multimedia computer by steering wheel controls and has a pretty good audio output (better than stock raspberri pi).
But for this you obviously need a navi prof screen and is pretty geeky to get it running etc.
Normally you use the tv in (required) for the screen input, but also for that there are other options with better image quality (there is a german company that makes a vga to Ibus image converter, so theres no composite converstion quality loss)
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 03-28-2017 at 04:49 PM..
Appreciate 1
RichZ49.50
      03-28-2017, 03:19 PM   #16
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
I have the GROM (I wrote a tiny review on it here somewhere) - definitely very cost effective way to add tons of MP3 music to the car. Navigating around it (for those with NAV) is a bit of a pain, so I just organize my music genre via folders. Regarding mp3 tag display - it will only display the 1st 10 characters and will ping back and forth between file name/song name/album info. I still couldn't get them to display it in the format similar to the indash CD player when playing MP3s
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 04:34 PM   #17
jmillet
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Hyundai IONIQ 6 SEL AWD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Did that car belong to a member here? Looks familiar.
Sharp eye. This highly modified Z4MC formally resided with its owner in Seattle and was a familiar sight at Pacific Raceways. The owner and I had lots of fun chasing each other around the track. The owner moved to New York and the car now resides at the Classic Car Club of Manhattan. http://classiccarclubmanhattan.com/about/

Appreciate 1
86Zed932.00
      03-29-2017, 08:49 AM   #18
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
There is for instance the GROM interface:
http://gromaudio.com/store/all-bmwt.html

Does usb audio (mp3 tag display; 6 folders directly accesseble, iphone/android a2dp and playlist playback. Also bluetooth carkit posibility, so very versitile, only mp3 playback from usb stick is somewhat limited.

There's the intravee:
http://www.toysinyourcar.com/acatalog/intravee.html
thats an alpine ainet interface, so the ainet iphone interface is accesible (so playlist accesibility)

And if you're content with playing mp3's from an sd card (this is also the one I have) there's the cp600BMW which probably has the best mp3 integration because you can both select 6 directories, but within that directory you can skip subdirectories: so if you have in each of those 6 main directories (accesseble like it were a cd in a changer) say 25 albums with a total of 500 songs you can skip albums within that main directory.
http://lifestyle.maintronic.de/en/pr...p3-player.html
Not cheap though and I dont know if theres a usa distributor. Audio quality is very good and it has (apart from the analog output) also a build in digital output if you're one of the few that has a bmw with digital dsp.
Being able to change subdirectories in those 6 main folders gives you the ability to find specific albums within reasonable comfort.
But you cant get a directorylist with for example all subdirectories. (That is not possible with any of them except for the next option)

And if you want something really fancy, take a raspberry pi with pibus:
http://pibus.info/
Lets you control an in car multimedia computer by steering wheel controls and has a pretty good audio output (better than stock raspberri pi).
But for this you obviously need a navi prof screen and is pretty geeky to get it running etc.
Normally you use the tv in (required) for the screen input, but also for that there are other options with better image quality (there is a german company that makes a vga to Ibus image converter, so theres no composite converstion quality loss)
Thanks for the info. It looks like the Grom would be a good one but from what I am reading it does not display artist info on a monochrome screen so it isn't any better than my OEM iPOD connector....
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 10:09 AM   #19
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
Thanks for the info. It looks like the Grom would be a good one but from what I am reading it does not display artist info on a monochrome screen so it isn't any better than my OEM iPOD connector....
It (GROM) does display artist info on monochrome screen (MID), but only the first 10 characters. I have the GROM on my X5 as well, which is non-NAV.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 10:12 AM   #20
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMetal View Post
It (GROM) does display artist info on monochrome screen (MID), but only the first 10 characters. I have the GROM on my X5 as well, which is non-NAV.
Thanks for that. I must have misread it on the website.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 03:57 PM   #21
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
Thanks for that. I must have misread it on the website.
Yeah...I'm not sure which display they're referring to for the monochrome on the website.

Here's their demo on a Z4 without NAV

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2017, 12:41 AM   #22
w3fl3x
...yummy...
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmillet View Post
Sharp eye. This highly modified Z4MC formally resided with its owner in Seattle and was a familiar sight at Pacific Raceways. The owner and I had lots of fun chasing each other around the track. The owner moved to New York and the car now resides at the Classic Car Club of Manhattan. http://classiccarclubmanhattan.com/about/
I thought that wing looked familiar! The riddler! I see no more white baby stig on the rear hatch either.

The talking got really boring half way through.
Appreciate 0