ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-12-2014, 08:22 PM   #1
Krypptic
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92M, GT3

I love my car.

First track day with PFC BBK front kit, PFC 08 compound all around and PFC rotors in the rear. And the first time with toyo r888's.

All I can say is that this was a whole new experience. Immense grip and stopping power, and predictable breakaway left me more confident then ever.

Just so much fun. Only downside is the added g forces revel the stock suspension even with my upgraded sways is just too soft.

Big smile on my face all day today.

But I can't understand why so many are against moving to r compound. I found they were predictable and communicative. Can't wait to get back out.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2014, 10:19 PM   #2
Krypptic
First Lieutenant
Rep

Some Pics

Appreciate 0
      04-12-2014, 10:59 PM   #3
Small Yellow
Track Addict
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW M3 E92 | 2008 Z4M E86

The problem with r comps isnt that theyre unpredictable but that there is so much grip you wont learn how to drive at the limit because r compa are so grippy it easily masks mistakes and you just feel faster overall.

You made my decision harder for essex ap racing sprint kit bbk harder now lol. Im also surprised you went aero before upgrading coilovers.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 07:32 AM   #4
Krypptic
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Yellow View Post
The problem with r comps isnt that theyre unpredictable but that there is so much grip you wont learn how to drive at the limit because r compa are so grippy it easily masks mistakes and you just feel faster overall.

You made my decision harder for essex ap racing sprint kit bbk harder now lol. Im also surprised you went aero before upgrading coilovers.
I have heard that too. Either way, they were great. As for the aero, I made that upgrade due to one of my local tracks having some high speed corners that made the rear end light.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 02:03 PM   #5
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Problem with R-comps is they're like crack cocaine. They're addictive. Hard to go back on the entry level drugs like max performance summer tires or weed once you try it. And they're a gateway drug to running Hoosier slicks, which is like the heroine of the tire world. Once you go true slicks you're addicted for life.

All joking aside, r-comps are fun if you know what you're doing. They're bad if you don't. I had a student once, he was sharing with a friend with a built-out caged track car with R-comps, and that was his 2nd event ever. After his first full session, in the pits I told him he doesn't need me in his car, not because he was good, but because I can't teach him with the amount of grip and prepared level of the chassis. He was turning in at all the wrong places, getting on the throttle at the wrong time, braking at the wrong time in the wrong places, but because the car and the tire are so damn good, it feels like he's going FAST. So I told him to either find a car with street tires to drive, or he can listen to me and do what I tell him to when I tell him to and hopefully he won't be exceeding the car's capabilities in the wrong place at the wrong time. And if he can't do neither, he can drive solo for the rest of the day 'cause he wasn't going fast enough to get seriously hurt anyway.

But from my perspective in the passenger seat, that was the most challenging day of instructing I had to do because it was frustrating for him to hear me critique his driving when he's passing even some of the faster cars out there, to understand that the chassis is capable of SO MUCH MORE. Had he been in a car with street tires, I think it would have been significantly easier for him to grasp some of the concepts quicker, despite him going significantly slower.

About a month ago I went to Thermal Motorsports Club with my Veloster Turbo shod with all season Kumho Souless tires, and while my times were nothing to write home about, I had a ton of fun pushing the tires to their absolute edge of adhesion and back.

But at the end of the day? I still wish I had bolted on the Hoosiers to see if I could have kept up with that MacLaren 12C. The highs you get from going slow on street tires vs balls out on R-comps isn't comparable.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0