ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-30-2016, 01:34 PM   #1
zachbooze
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC

Thinking about aero...

Hey guys, I am planning on picking up the APR Wing/Splitter later on in the coming season and I stumbled upon this diffuser too. Is a rear diffuser significantly functional on these cars?
http://fancywide.ru/product/bmw-z4m-...mper-diffuser/
I know some of you have a lot of technical knowledge, so I figured I'd ask you guys
Appreciate 1
Mirko182.00
      01-03-2017, 11:12 AM   #2
Mirko
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4M, E90 328i, E84 X1

That's a pretty good find. how did you find it? I've searched online a fair bit and that one never popped up.

Would be better if it fully covered over the mufflers but it looks pretty good. Price isn't too bad.

Have you reached out to those guys?
08 M Coupe • Ceramic Black Fabspeed Headers • MCS 1WNR • Poly FCAB • Stoptech BBK • Vibra-Tech • Epic Tune • Apex EC7 • RPI Scoop • Eventuri • Stromung • Rogue X Pipe • Varis Diffuser • CF E92 GTS Wing • CF Roof
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 02:07 PM   #3
AriuSen
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachbooze View Post
Hey guys, I am planning on picking up the APR Wing/Splitter later on in the coming season and I stumbled upon this diffuser too. Is a rear diffuser significantly functional on these cars?
http://fancywide.ru/product/bmw-z4m-...mper-diffuser/
I know some of you have a lot of technical knowledge, so I figured I'd ask you guys
I have done some research, and asked a shop called trackspec who are making functional vents for z4m and he said that just by the hardware they have used, it has 400x more drag than appropriate hardware. And if they didnt consider that in design, makes him question how much design did they put into the diffuser itself.
So he is considering doing diffuser as well for z4m that is functional.
btw he tests his products at the track with a bunch of lines and some computer data....hes well known in california.
If people get more interested in functional diffuser, I could have him take it more seriously and start asap.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 02:09 PM   #4
AriuSen
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirko View Post
That's a pretty good find. how did you find it? I've searched online a fair bit and that one never popped up.

Would be better if it fully covered over the mufflers but it looks pretty good. Price isn't too bad.

Have you reached out to those guys?
I have reached out to them...shipping is 98 worldwide. but like i said in my comments above, I can have trackspec to make a diffuser that will cover mufflers like the varis and that will be 100% for functionality if we can get enough people to buy it.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 03:24 PM   #5
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by AriuSen View Post
I have reached out to them...shipping is 98 worldwide. but like i said in my comments above, I can have trackspec to make a diffuser that will cover mufflers like the varis and that will be 100% for functionality if we can get enough people to buy it.
would be interested to see what he would come up with.
That diffuser that I made b4 was mainly cosmetic I'm sure.
I'd be interested in something more functional.

From some of my research one of the most important areas is to restrict the wash of air that comes off the inside of the rear tires.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 03:41 PM   #6
3GFX
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post

From some of my research one of the most important areas is to restrict the wash of air that comes off the inside of the rear tires.
Interested.....explain?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 03:51 PM   #7
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3GFX View Post
Interested.....explain?
basically the air at the rear tire gets squished & forced out to the sides.
On the outside its not a problem, but on the inside it washes sideways under the car.
If you can catch the air off the tire and force it straight back, air is much more linear under the center & out the back.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 03:56 PM   #8
3GFX
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

So ideally a diffuser should be wide enough to cover the sides of the well? Ideally pushing air backward?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 04:04 PM   #9
AriuSen
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Cool!. ill let him know and try to push him to start developing one! ill let him know about your tip!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 04:04 PM   #10
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3GFX View Post
So ideally a diffuser should be wide enough to cover the sides of the well? Ideally pushing air backward?
Yes.
This one from FancyWide (weird name) does it pretty well.
& AriuSen ... fasteners dont look bad to me.

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 04:07 PM   #11
AriuSen
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes.
This one from FancyWide (weird name) does it pretty well.
& AriuSen ... fasteners dont look bad to me.

you have to look at the inner part.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 04:10 PM   #12
AriuSen
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

yea but anyway.....im not a aerodynamic expert, but seems like is a good diffuser. is just that the the owner of trackspec is very detailed to minimum stuff.
i am actually tempted to get one, but since trackspec said he would be interested in making one, i opted to wait and see what he comes with.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 04:30 PM   #13
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
yea but anyway.....im not a aerodynamic expert, but seems like is a good diffuser. is just that the the owner of trackspec is very detailed to minimum stuff.
i am actually tempted to get one, but since trackspec said he would be interested in making one, i opted to wait and see what he comes with.
Yeah, noticed the inner part after I posted... I agree.
Also, if you look closely the edges are done poorly, ....rough cut with some sort of plasma cutter

I'd also MUCH rather deal with someone in N.Amer.

I wonder what the weight would be?

The other important part is to maintain air getting to the rear diff!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 05:15 PM   #14
Mirko
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4M, E90 328i, E84 X1

Quote:
I am interested in a functional one and would prefer someone in North America like Ian.

What sort of timeline? Track season starts in 4 months up here in the frigid north!!
08 M Coupe • Ceramic Black Fabspeed Headers • MCS 1WNR • Poly FCAB • Stoptech BBK • Vibra-Tech • Epic Tune • Apex EC7 • RPI Scoop • Eventuri • Stromung • Rogue X Pipe • Varis Diffuser • CF E92 GTS Wing • CF Roof
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 07:33 AM   #15
Michael9218
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
basically the air at the rear tire gets squished & forced out to the sides.
On the outside its not a problem, but on the inside it washes sideways under the car.
If you can catch the air off the tire and force it straight back, air is much more linear under the center & out the back.
This is apparently correct. Google exhaust blown diffuser. Some F1 teams route the exhaust to push the air past the inside of the rear tire, creating a boundary layer and preventing the air washed off the tire from getting pushed into the diffuser.

https://www.google.com/search?q=exha...lpXBSEGJsJM%3A

Anyway, I would also be interested in a functional diffuser if the Trackspec guy moves forward. Although with a small bench brake, fabricating one doesn't look that difficult.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 10:46 AM   #16
AriuSen
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirko View Post
I am interested in a functional one and would prefer someone in North America like Ian.

What sort of timeline? Track season starts in 4 months up here in the frigid north!!
I think 4 months is plenty of time lol. let me get details from him.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 12:45 PM   #17
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Aero is a slippery slope. Far more slippery than suspensions, IMO. And it is FAR more dependent on your skills as a driver, since with added grip quickly disappears when you are SIDEWAYS. It's like the transition from driving on street tires to R-Comps.

That increase in grip level also comes at the cost of terminal speed too. I think aero is more beneficial on cars that have added "lightness". At 3,xxx lbs with driver the lift eliminated, or downforce created at speed isn't significant enough, but at 2,7xx? That same force is far more effective.

The other thing to think about, is how aero affect classing if you're competing. Take BMW CCA CR for example, I believe STOCK classes no aero is allowed. You add a splitter and a diffuser and all of a sudden you're in MOD class, where composite panels, stroker engines with stand alone ECUs, slicks rather than r-comps, and all sorts of exotic setups are common in the name of "competition."

If you're not adding aero for competition purposes, then it does go a long way to improve lap time. As my club racing buddy once commented to me. "[Hack], aero is like crack for racers. Once you go aero you will NEVER want to go back." Or as another CR buddy, after driving my MZ4 Coupe at Buttonwillow, commented: "[Hack], you need aero."

So yeah. If you guys end up making a functional aero diffuser here in the states, loop me in. I'm definitely interested.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 1
inTgr8r2421.50
      01-04-2017, 01:07 PM   #18
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Wow, whether it works or not that diffuser looks great! (perfect for a poser like me lol).

What a price too, I expected to see $1350, not $350. That's about the first time I've ever seen a custom part for our cars and thought the price was right!

I'd love to see more pictures, but you need a pretty wild car to pull it off right (lowered, wheels, BBK, other mods etc.). I think I could manage it with my car, but it might be *too* much. Overall stock cars would look like crap with this I think.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 01:20 PM   #19
zachbooze
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC

I'd definitely be interested in a functional diffuser from trackspec. There is a trackspec autosports (NorCal Bay Area) and a track spec motorsports in (SoCal). Im guessing you are referring to the SoCal one?

Last edited by zachbooze; 01-04-2017 at 01:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 01:21 PM   #20
Michael9218
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

The inherent problem with any diffuser that will bolt up to the unmodified rear bumper is that it doesn't provide enough of an angle to maximize the venturi effect. From what I've read (on the internet, of course), the more it angles up, the more it expands the air, increasing the draw, or suction from the feeding air. Up to an angle of 10%. Beyond that and apparently the air seperates from the difusser, and much like an airfoil when it stalls, it loses benefit.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 02:03 PM   #21
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael9218 View Post
The inherent problem with any diffuser that will bolt up to the unmodified rear bumper is that it doesn't provide enough of an angle to maximize the venturi effect. From what I've read (on the internet, of course), the more it angles up, the more it expands the air, increasing the draw, or suction from the feeding air. Up to an angle of 10%. Beyond that and apparently the air seperates from the difusser, and much like an airfoil when it stalls, it loses benefit.
It's surprising, but there is more angle than initially evident.
From when I did my 1st diffuser fins added to the OE under tray, I would say that there is close to 10% already with a Venturi like curve.
In the pic the bottom of fins are not fully at zero deg.

Last edited by inTgr8r; 01-04-2017 at 02:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 03:24 PM   #22
longress
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

I'd be interested in a group by as well.
Appreciate 0