ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-05-2010, 06:04 PM   #1
vasaline
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 M Roadster

Squeaky clutch

Everytime I press or depress my clutch pedal it makes an audible squeak. I'm not sure if I should be worried and not drive the car just in case it is something serious. Do you guys think it might be the rain? It's been raining around my area for the past couple days and not sure if that is the cause.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2010, 07:26 PM   #2
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
UUC has something to stop that nasty squeak. Looks like this:

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2010, 08:00 PM   #3
vasaline
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 M Roadster

How hard is it to install?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2010, 08:02 PM   #4
dekaliber
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '11 JCW, '18 Z06

I get the same thing. Not sure if it's a problem or not though.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 03:28 PM   #5
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasaline View Post
How hard is it to install?
If you go to the link posted and go to BMW on the left then Drivetrain / Flywheels / Clutch then Clutch Arm Bushings, there is an installation guide. Doesn't sound took bad other than having to work in the drivers foot well....
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 10:31 PM   #6
04z4
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW Z4 3.0i

Another possibility (in addition to the pedal bushings) is the clutch release fork (such as part number 21511223302) inside the bell housing. This could be the problem if it sounds like it is coming from under the car and not in the footwell.

My 1998 Z3 1.9 had this problem. I lubed the heck out of the pedal bushings to no avail. When I finally lubed the release fork, the problem went away immediately.

My 2004 Z4 3.0i makes the same annoying noise and the design looks the same to me as the Z3 (and 2006 M Roadster) when I look at the parts diagrams on realoem.com. When I asked the dealer to look at it (hoping for CPO warranty coverage) they said the problem was inside the bell housing and was not covered by warranty (so I did not have them do anything to correct it).

But here's what I did on the Z3. (Caveat: I am not a professional mechanic and if you feel at all uncomfortable with this approach, then definitely don't do it, and seek professional help!) I removed the slave cylinder from the bell housing, and aimed a jet of WD-40 lubricant at the presumed location of the release fork. I really could not see where I was aiming, so I just had to guess, but it worked! After that it was nice and quiet. I wished I had done it years earlier. The only thing I was concerned about with this approach was possibly getting oil on the friction surface of the clutch disk itself, thereby ruining the clutch. But looking at the diagrams that did not look very likely to me. I have not yet tried it on the Z4 and don't think I will need to any time soon because I am having the transmission replaced under warranty and while they are doing that I'm having them replace the clutch. So I figure it will be good for a while anyway.

Last edited by 04z4; 10-07-2010 at 10:36 PM..
Appreciate 0