ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-13-2013, 09:03 AM   #1
Golfboy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si Coupe

Z4 to Lotus Elise

I have had my 2008 Z4 roadster for about a year and enjoy it tremendously but recently I had the chance to test drive a 2007 Lotus Elise. What an experience. WOW! It's like driving a Formula 1 race car on the street. It is a little awkward getting in and out of the car but once in you are in for a treat. As for an attention getter, it has the Z4 beat hands down. You can't go anywhere in it without people commenting on it and asking questions. I'm now seriously considering selling my Z4 and getting a Lotus Elise. Just curious, how many forum members would jump from thier Z4s, M or non-M to a Lotus Elise? Would appreciate all comments as it would help me make up my mind. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 09:14 AM   #2
Sephiroth
4-6-8
India
Rep
Drives: for the fun of it

I considered it back when i still had my corvette. A friend of mine picked one up and we swapped cars for a little bit. Its a great car just amazing steering response, sits looow, and is a real looker. But i came to the conclusion that i still needed a few more comforts than it had haha! Lotus's build quality is said to be pretty poor and that ended it for me. I started looking for my M roady at that point.
      04-13-2013, 09:14 AM   #3
Mirko
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4M, E90 328i, E84 X1

Bill went from a Z4M to a Lotus Elise and then sold it.
http://www.billswebspace.com/

It's a beautiful car but I think you lose even more practicality with it. My choice would be a Porsche over a Lotus if I were to trade the M.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 09:15 AM   #4
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep
Drives: 330iZHP

I seriously considered an Exige at one point. I still think it would be a blast to own one but I'm not getting rid of my M any time soon. When I had my 3.0si coupe I might have gone that route.
      04-13-2013, 10:31 AM   #5
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
My friend has one and the build quality sucks. Trim pieces always coming off, latches not working properly and constant squeaks.

But whats far worse than any rattle is that his motor was actually replaced despite being out of warranty because there was a recall on some oil lines that caused his motor to run dry. This was after numerous visits to multiple dealerships in the tri-state area that all would not address his concerns while under warranty.
      04-13-2013, 10:45 AM   #6
pal
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

I like the idea of an Exige coupe as a track day car, but I don't think I can get anything less spacious and less comfortable than the Z4MC until I am ready with a truck and trailer setup.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 11:46 AM   #7
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Z4 is already stiff enough, a few potholes in a lotus and the gf would never let me hear the end of it

Stupid California roads
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 12:09 PM   #8
intoflatlines
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MR, E34, E30

I almost bought an Elise (2006) before I got my Z4M. It was a blast to drive, but it's really not as fast of a car as people make it seem. It was very uncomfortable inside, and the build quality was pretty poor IMO. Of course the Lotus has the sweet exotic look and is a real head turner. But unless you're looking for a dedicated track car or only plan to drive short trips, I'd look elsewhere. Also, forget about any ladies getting in your car if they're wearing a skirt (unless it's Paris Hilton). I got a Z4 M instead and I don't regret it.. much more comfortable and can be just as fast (if not faster) depending on the track.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 12:53 PM   #9
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfboy View Post
I have had my 2008 Z4 roadster for about a year and enjoy it tremendously but recently I had the chance to test drive a 2007 Lotus Elise. What an experience. WOW! It's like driving a Formula 1 race car on the street.
I drove my coworkers elise, it really is a trip.

At all speeds you feel you're going insanely fast. Somehow you feel like you are at redline at all RPMs. It's something about the engine behind your head, low weight on the car, connection of throttle to vehicle speed, how low and small the car is, manual steering, etc. that makes for a really connected experience.

Taking a left turn from a stoplight took a surprising amount of strength. The manual steering feels great at speed though.

Quote:
It is a little awkward getting in and out of the car but once in you are in for a treat.
With the doors closed you don't think it's going to be such an experience getting in a lotus elise.

Quote:
As for an attention getter, it has the Z4 beat hands down. You can't go anywhere in it without people commenting on it and asking questions.
Agreed. It's such an extreme design, it was my favorite looking car for almost 10 years after it came out.

Quote:
I'm now seriously considering selling my Z4 and getting a Lotus Elise. Just curious, how many forum members would jump from thier Z4s, M or non-M to a Lotus Elise? Would appreciate all comments as it would help me make up my mind. Thanks.
I'd say go for it! That way you can get it out of your system and enjoy the experience, then upgrade to something nicer.

If the car isn't your weekend/fun the harshness of the car it wil get old. But at that point you should just move up, maybe pick up an M

My coworker is probably going to move next to a used R8 as soon as they drop a little more in price.
      04-13-2013, 02:54 PM   #10
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1

Test drove a Lotus. Great car, but didn't come close to suiting my needs.

Not enough space, low on power and interior is worse than an old vette's.

I'm also a bigger guy.

I would highly encourage anyone to seriously consider it.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 03:12 PM   #11
Endless619
DHS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
Quote:
I have had my 2008 Z4 roadster for about a year and enjoy it tremendously but recently I had the chance to test drive a 2007 Lotus Elise. What an experience. WOW! It's like driving a Formula 1 race car on the street. It is a little awkward getting in and out of the car but once in you are in for a treat. As for an attention getter, it has the Z4 beat hands down. You can't go anywhere in it without people commenting on it and asking questions. I'm now seriously considering selling my Z4 and getting a Lotus Elise. Just curious, how many forum members would jump from thier Z4s, M or non-M to a Lotus Elise? Would appreciate all comments as it would help me make up my mind. Thanks.
Ownership is a lot different. I wouldn't even have considered it coming from a Z4MC. Thats going backwards for me. lol Car is ok. I would never own one and they do not get looks and they are very inexpensive (not a bad thing at all). Oh and they are not that fast in reality either. lol So many negatives but it is a Lotus.

I would look at a 2012 Lotus Evora thats supercharged with close to 400hp but thats about it.

Last edited by Endless619; 04-13-2013 at 03:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 11:41 PM   #12
g_k
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Z4 to Elise

I just went the other way - sold my '05 Elise and bought an '06 M Roadster. I'm moving to Colorado (from San Diego) and wanted something that'd be more comfortable in cold weather and generally a better long-term choice. However, I bought my Elise used and put 23k miles on it with no problems at all. It's tiny, rides rough, 4-cylinder engine is buzzy, etc., but after owning one my roadster feels like a school bus. It's hard to realize how different a 2,000 pound car feels - it's not a go kart but it's certainly closer to that than anything else on the road. Your mileage may vary but I sure enjoyed mine. I actually bought a new one in '05 but sold it in little over a year because it was too expensive for me. I really missed it, though, and bought another one when the prices dropped enough. My second one had the LSS option (Lotus Sport Suspension) which I recommend - lighter (wider front) wheels w/better shocks make a noticeable difference.
      04-14-2013, 04:46 AM   #13
Ferrelscent
Registered
Rep
Drives: Z4 E85 Roadster

Would love to have an Elise but could only ever be a second car/to to me due to lack of practicality. Funds don't allow that and neither does available parking space.

No matter what fun you have it I don't think you could live with it day to day as a main car.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 08:07 AM   #14
ricanbandit
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 30i

I used to have a Mazdaspeed Mx-5 Turbo with some add ons putting down 225 RWHP, it was a fast little car. I wanted to trade and before I went the Z4M route one of the cars I tested was the Elise. Unfortunately I had the bright idea to do so in NYC and trust me, the ride was a little more than jarring. I thought my kidneys would have to be replaced.

Beautiful cockpit IMO, you wear it more than ride in it. Same size as my MX-5, but so more on the edge and intimate. I for one loved the styling, but too much compromise as it was to be my DD. I also tried the Boxter and Cayman (LOVED the CAYMAN) before I decided on my Z4MR.

In the end, the power raw feel and price pushed me to it. Was never really enamored of the looks of the Z4, but it has grown on me
      04-14-2013, 09:31 AM   #15
wrh3
Car Guy
Rep
Drives: 2005 MCS, 2013 Corvette 427

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirko View Post

It's a beautiful car but I think you lose even more practicality with it. My choice would be a Porsche over a Lotus if I were to trade the M.
Yes, went from my 2005 Lotus Elise to a Z4M, and then Z4M to a 2011 Lotus Elise.

The 2011 was a better car than the 2005, I guess Lotus learned a few things from the first US federalized MY Elise to the last. The Lotus is a GREAT car, probably the best drivers car out there with kart-like feedback. But it is a bit fragile, so I was hesitant to take it on business trips and it sat in the garage a good bit. With the future of Lotus a bit uncertain, I decided to trade it in for another car I could get a bit more use out of. That said, I think everyone should own a Lotus Elise/Exige at some point of their life if they enjoy driving.......and if even more feel is desired one of the many Lotus Seven clones, I see one of these in my future.

After the past few cars I have decided I like to experience different cars and lack the garage space and $$$ to own them all at the same time, so they all get a turn

http://billswebspace.com/lotus.html

The Miata I have modified is maybe 80% of the Lotus feel but a bit more practical.

Bill- 2005 Mini Cooper S, 2013 Corvette 427
www.billswebspace.com/bmwindex BMW CCA Member # 389948
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 10:32 AM   #16
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

I test drove an Elise while owning a Z4 3.0

I walked away dissapointed in the lack of power, and the incredibly difficult ingress
      04-14-2013, 10:33 AM   #17
wolfman1807
Clueless
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0i SMG sport/premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr View Post
Z4 is already stiff enough, a few potholes in a lotus and the gf would never let me hear the end of it

Stupid California roads
Add to those California roads, here in North Dakota we have frost heave, pot holes, oil field trucks and also today we are getting between 12-18" of snow!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 03:01 PM   #18
GamblerHydra
Private
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4

My favorite car by far in British Racing Green , I just hated getting In and out if it . When I got my current job and had to use it as a DD ; it had to go for the Z. It was either that or drive the F250, which was not going to happen. I got to much money in her.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 03:29 PM   #19
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC Interlagos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirko View Post

How about more pics of Bill
SS Race Cans, RE X Pipe, DKF Sec 1, Fabspeed Headers, OE STB, AS Shifter, Dave Z CDV, GC Coil Overs, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC Pads, RE Clutch Stop, RE Transmission Mounts, Vibra-Technics Engine Mounts, Poly FCAB & RTAB, LeatherZ M Shift Boot, Tekarbon Rear Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS DGM
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 07:30 AM   #20
Lightning87
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw Z4 2.5i

also looked at the elise, but to expensive in lhd overhere, an RHD would mean a lott of work to convert.
      04-16-2013, 08:20 AM   #21
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

I thinn that an Evora is a better comparison for daily use for a z4m replacement. If u can afford it
      04-16-2013, 09:45 AM   #22
elwesso
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricanbandit View Post
In the end, the power raw feel and price pushed me to it. Was never really enamored of the looks of the Z4, but it has grown on me
I agree with that. I never drove an Elise, but for the money they wanted for it, it seemed like it would be a risky deal. Anything that says Lotus usually means $$$, and that says something coming from the ///M world.

I think the Z4 is just as unique as the elise but isn't as much of a head turner. For me, I wanted something unique and something that I could take on long drives. IMO, the Z4 M is about as close to the edge of intolerable on long drives as I want to get.
Appreciate 0