ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-04-2015, 02:35 PM   #1
Big_CG
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

New shocks- Best choice for ride comfort?

I own an 07 3.0i with sport suspension. It has 115k on what I believe are the stock struts and shocks.

The ride was originally abysmal with RFT tires. I'm now on my winter setup of Blizzak WS70 and 16" rims, and its much less harsh but still bouncier than I would like over rough terrain. Assuming the shocks are totally shot.

I plan on installing Conti DW tires on my summer rims and new shocks before next spring.

My car is a DD and getting the most ride comfort is main focus. I don't track it much and if I can retain the handling ability (mostly) and improve the ride I'm all for it.

So- to those that have upgraded or bought new:

1) Is it ok to keep stock springs? I like the ride height currently.

2) Koni Yellow or Bilstein- what works well?

3) Did your new shocks improve ride noticeably?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2015, 08:04 AM   #2
Kim Schwartz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_capitan View Post
I own an 07 3.0i with sport suspension. It has 115k on what I believe are the stock struts and shocks.

The ride was originally abysmal with RFT tires. I'm now on my winter setup of Blizzak WS70 and 16" rims, and its much less harsh but still bouncier than I would like over rough terrain. Assuming the shocks are totally shot.

I plan on installing Conti DW tires on my summer rims and new shocks before next spring.

My car is a DD and getting the most ride comfort is main focus. I don't track it much and if I can retain the handling ability (mostly) and improve the ride I'm all for it.

So- to those that have upgraded or bought new:

1) Is it ok to keep stock springs? I like the ride height currently.

2) Koni Yellow or Bilstein- what works well?

3) Did your new shocks improve ride noticeably?
I have a 2006 3.0 si coupe with the sport suspension. I went with the Bilstein sport shocks and quite like them. They are more compliant than the Sachs original shock with little or no sacrifice in handling. I have used the Conti DW's and they are noticeably more compliant. I have them on my wife's 128i and even the steering response is a little less direct but not at all bad. On the Z4, that may be okay since the steering can be a little pointy.
I'm using these Michelin tires on my Z4 and like them a lot. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e&autoModClar=

Last edited by Kim Schwartz; 01-05-2015 at 08:08 AM.. Reason: more information
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2015, 06:22 AM   #3
Aries326
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si, 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW Z4 3.0si  [9.00]
I went with H&R coilovers. I love them. Ride isn't as harsh as with the sports suspension.

I went with Hankook V12s for tires.