ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-07-2014, 01:54 AM   #1
donoman
Rookie
Rep
Drives: 03 Z4 2.5i 5MT

Coding Coupe DSP settings to Roadster DSP settings

This is intended to be a working document. I will need you guys to run through it and let me know where you get stuck. Please post questions and comments and I will update the first post if anything is omitted.

Disclaimer:
I provide these instructions to the DIYer, but assume no responsibility for the outcome of your actions.

Purpose:
Code your E86 DSP system to E85 settings. Generally, people believe the M Coupe DSP to suck and the M Roadster DSP to be acceptable. I certainly concur coming from a convertible to a coupe. I could not believe how bad the Z4MC stereo sounded. After coding as per these instructions, I feel that the stereo is good enough for me.

Instructions :
1. Buy cable from E-bay (K+DCAN) Interface. Make sure pins 7 & 8 are shorted. If not, solder them together (I had to do this).
2. Get INPA files. Google is your friend.
3. Follow installation instructions EXACTLY:
-Watch this Youtube:

-Install software
-Windows USB Settings w/ 1ms Latency
-USB Drivers (wasn't necessary for Win 7 Pro)
3a. Run Dcan tools DOS program to set the mode of the cable. (File attached)
4. Run INPA, play around a little bit.
5. Install English file for NCS Expert (File attached)
6. Install Revtor profile. (File attached - YOU MUST rename extension to .PFL)
7. Follow this Youtube video by Kris Lindquist (we will not be needing NCS Dummy since we already have the file necessary to complete the coding.):

7a. Make sure the file you create is really .MAN and not .MAN.TXT (Windows 7 show extension).
8. Read DSP module trace from your car using NCSexpert, and save it as another name. (This step is to backup your factory settings in case something goes wrong during the coding.)
9. Download E85 coded file, and rename to .MAN (File attached)
10. Upload/program E86 with E85 coded file
11. Done
Attached Files
File Type: txt NCSEXPER.TXT (7.8 KB, 682 views)
File Type: txt E86 DSP_E85.C02 FSW_PSW coded to E85.TRC.txt (1.7 KB, 550 views)
File Type: txt REVTOR.txt (1.0 KB, 702 views)
File Type: zip D-CAN.zip (43.2 KB, 347 views)
1983 Wife

Last edited by donoman; 05-07-2014 at 04:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 04:42 PM   #2
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Great writeup. I'm glad you were able to make use of the "E86 DSP_E85.C02 FSW_PSW coded to E85.TRC.txt" file I edited. I read in the file from my 2007 E86, edited all the values I thought should be changed from E86 to E85 and saved it. I don't know if it ended up identical to a factory coded E85 car. If would be great if someone could post a factory coded E85 DSP file so we could compare the one I edited to see if the 2 files are the same.

Also the DSP module version I have is a C02. I don't know if they used different model DSPs in these cars. If you don't have the same model module, I would not use the file in this post since I don't know what would happen to your DSP.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 04:49 PM   #3
donoman
Rookie
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
Great writeup. I'm glad you were able to make use of the "E86 DSP_E85.C02 FSW_PSW coded to E85.TRC.txt" file I edited. I read in the file from my 2007 E86, edited all the values I thought should be changed from E86 to E85 and saved it. I don't know if it ended up identical to a factory coded E85 car. If would be great if someone could post a factory coded E85 DSP file so we could compare the one I edited to see if the 2 files are the same.

Also the DSP module version I have is a C02. I don't know if they used different model DSPs in these cars. If you don't have the same model module, I would not use the file in this post since I don't know what would happen to your DSP.
Pungo, thanks and sorry I did not reference you. I downloaded so many random files in order to get this to work that I had forgotten where I got this from. That's a great idea about having someone with an E85 share their trace with us. I do have a 2.5i Roadster with Business CD that I can share but I think it's a different system.

By the way, I have a 2006 MCoupe and it worked on my system. As long as the user downloads his original trace first, and saves a backup, there should be no worries.

Thanks for the feedback. Now we need someone to try this on their own so we can see if the write-up is effective.
1983 Wife
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 05:17 PM   #4
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by donoman View Post
Pungo, thanks and sorry I did not reference you. I downloaded so many random files in order to get this to work that I had forgotten where I got this from. That's a great idea about having someone with an E85 share their trace with us. I do have a 2.5i Roadster with Business CD that I can share but I think it's a different system.
donoman, no worries, I'm just glad someone besides me made use of the file. I just wanted to to inform everyone how the file was created and that it was not an actual trace from a E85, rather a modified E86 file. Yeah, I don't think the business CD trace will work on a DSP car.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 06:51 PM   #5
illinipo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: phallus non-///M

Figured I should drop this in here, too. This is my trace file with ONLY the 55 filterbaenke changed. To me, this sounds better than what pungo has provided, but sound is subjective. Try both and see which one you like better
Attached Files
File Type: txt E86 DSP with just filterbaenke changed FSW_PSW.txt (1.7 KB, 485 views)
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 08:06 AM   #6
bignosejim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 IB M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinipo View Post
Figured I should drop this in here, too. This is my trace file with ONLY the 55 filterbaenke changed. To me, this sounds better than what pungo has provided, but sound is subjective. Try both and see which one you like better
I changed my dsp module as above and HOLY COW!! What a difference. That was the best 5 minutes I've spent on my car period. Thanks to everyone for the effort put in to this. BTW my dsp module was also version C02 (2007 M Coupe). I ended up just changing my original file through NCSdummy and recoding the module.

/// Vibra-Technics motor mounts /// Autosolutions SSK /// RE Tranny mounts /// Aero Turbine Exhaust /// Beisan Vanos upgrades /// SDW rtabs /// Fortune Auto 500
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 01:31 PM   #7
usaz4mcr8cr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

Is there anybody in southern CA that can do this for me? I will compensate of course.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 03:16 PM   #8
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Does anybody know if this can be done with Rheingold?
I installed Rheingold and got as far reading the VIN.
Been too hot and too many other things to play with.
      08-27-2014, 09:54 AM   #9
bignosejim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 IB M Coupe

Rheingold only does diagnostics, at least the windows version. You can also download ista to do programming (in vmware). I kept my old versions of INPA and NCS. I just renamed my old ediabas folder to ediabas 6.4.7. then whenever I use the old programs I rename the ediabas that Rheingold uses to ediabas 7.3.10 and rename version 6.4.7 to just ediabas. Those old programs are still insanely easy to use and my old laptop doesn't have enough disc space to try out the new ista program.

/// Vibra-Technics motor mounts /// Autosolutions SSK /// RE Tranny mounts /// Aero Turbine Exhaust /// Beisan Vanos upgrades /// SDW rtabs /// Fortune Auto 500
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2014, 05:52 PM   #10
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinipo View Post
I gave this a try and although it boosted some of the frequencies, it sounded a little muddy and not as clear as with the E86 filterbaenkes. I probably need to play with my eq settings since they were adjusted for the E86 filterbaenke values. The cool thing is you can code it while listening to music and after a few seconds the new values take effect; therefore you can easily hear the before and after within seconds of each other.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 10:42 PM   #11
donoman
Rookie
Rep

I'm wondering why, even with the E85 coding (Pungo's) the sound is still more muddy than my damn non-M z4 2.5i roadster!!! (BMW Business CD) GAHHHH
1983 Wife
Appreciate 0