ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-17-2014, 04:50 PM   #1
rpoliah
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw e85 z4, bmw e60 m5

Z4 Coding?

Hey Guys I want to get some coding done on my 2003 bmw z4 , I couldnt find any threads about what coding can be done on the car. Anybody have any experience with this? I really want my mirrors to go down when Im in reverse so i dont scratch my rims . I live in the city and these curbs dont say sorry! lol
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 05:21 PM   #2
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe

There are some coders that can configure your car remotely but the E chassis cars are a little tricky sometimes. I'd check around first. I will be checking out a guy in Dallas, TX that remotes and I will see how he does in person hopefully next month.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 04:02 AM   #3
rpoliah
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddish
There are some coders that can configure your car remotely but the E chassis cars are a little tricky sometimes. I'd check around first. I will be checking out a guy in Dallas, TX that remotes and I will see how he does in person hopefully next month.
Thanks man let me know how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 08:30 AM   #4
funkle
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4 M Coupe

I'd love to do this as well. Doing it manually every time I park is a pain in the ass. Seeing the curb while parking is a requirement IMO. Otherwise, you're gauging your proximity based on where the other parked cars are, and you never know how close they are.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 10:05 AM   #5
ShakyDog
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i Alpine White/Red

If you have memory seats, do as I read on here years ago. Set seat position 3 for backing up near a curb. Then it is a simple push 3 to park, push 1 to be back at drive. I am not sure that the Z4 can even be coded in the states to do the mirror drop on reverse.

Steve
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 10:23 AM   #6
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
Mirrors for the US cars do not automatically tilt down and cannot be coded as such. New mirror assemblies and drivers door switch cluster must be fitted.

See Ron Stygers post on Bimmerfest for more info....
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 12:14 PM   #7
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakyDog View Post
If you have memory seats, do as I read on here years ago. Set seat position 3 for backing up near a curb. Then it is a simple push 3 to park, push 1 to be back at drive. I am not sure that the Z4 can even be coded in the states to do the mirror drop on reverse.

Steve
I did not think that the side mirror positions were stored with the seat positions and changed accordingly. But I am happy to be proven wrong because if so, that is one very handy trick you have there!

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 08:51 PM   #8
agc93
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipkiller View Post
Mirrors for the US cars do not automatically tilt down and cannot be coded as such. New mirror assemblies and drivers door switch cluster must be fitted.

Does that mean Europe-spec cars can be coded as such? Mine doesn't do it out of the box, but it would be awesome if I could..
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 01:08 PM   #9
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe

Sorry I never updated this, I didn't have an opportunity to go out and have this done. I'm still trying to set something up with him, I'm just very limited on time currently. I will check back to see if anyone has found a solution.

The E chassis cars are harder to code from my understanding via remote, but it can still be done. The gentlemen I tried to meet with was coding F chassis cars.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 03:28 PM   #10
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

Quote:

Steve
I have memory seats and tried this but my side mirror positions do not seem to be stored with my seat memory. Is there any trick? Such as does the mirror selection switch need to be to a certain side when storing seat/mirror position or retrieving sear/mirror position? Is there any coding that needs to be done to enable mirror memory? This is a neat trick that I'd love to make use of.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 08:37 AM   #11
badhbtz
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 Schwarz M Coupe

I work in Electronics at a seating company. I can tell you that the seat module that controls the intelligence for what we are looking for has some to do with coding - However if the hardware functionality is not included on the PCBoard that resides within the seat module you will never obtain functionality. We just took out memory options for a seat module on a seat that does not require pedal/steering wheel function and or driver memory. Once the hardware is gone there is no coding to bring it back. I am guessing they de-contented the feature to reduce cost when the car came to the US. There is also strict regulations for seating components and operation in the US vs Europe.

Just my 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 09:35 AM   #12
funkle
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipkiller View Post

Did anyone dig up this referenced post?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 09:03 AM   #13
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elerner61 View Post
I have memory seats and tried this but my side mirror positions do not seem to be stored with my seat memory. Is there any trick? Such as does the mirror selection switch need to be to a certain side when storing seat/mirror position or retrieving sear/mirror position? Is there any coding that needs to be done to enable mirror memory? This is a neat trick that I'd love to make use of.
Only for the fact that my car is covered and tucked away for the winter, I would run out and try this myself to see if I can make it work.

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 08:41 AM   #14
ShakyDog
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i Alpine White/Red

I am unable to check this as I have moved in to a temporary house and my Z4 is at my parents garage. If I get a chance I will swing by and see if I was living in fantasy land when I wrote this :-)

Steve
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 01:18 PM   #15
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I am unable to check this as I have moved in to a temporary house and my Z4 is at my parents garage. If I get a chance I will swing by and see if I was living in fantasy land when I wrote this :-)

Steve
LOL! No worries from me if you mis-remembered how this works (I've been there and done that too). In the meantime, if I can check my car, I will do so and report back to the gang.

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 05:35 PM   #16
rpoliah
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

i drive my z4 everyday and i still haven't checked it, will check it tomorrow hopefully it works.
Appreciate 0