ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-30-2016, 10:58 AM   #1
Juggernaught5
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster

ABS lights/electrical woes

Last week my the airbag warning light on my dash came on, and the passenger airbag light on the console came on and began flickering.

I've since experienced a series of electrical issues - the cabin light going on and off at random (only when the lights are on), seat heater buttons that don't work, the radio goes off randomly and the sound can't be changed, etc.

My service technician has diagnosed a bad ABS module under the console - he related he couldn't clear the airbag codes.

In terms of the electrical issues, I've searched the forum and found others have had issues with bad batteries (mine was just replaced a month ago), and with a connector to a module just to the left of the battery. I was checking this and saw that I have a wire at the rear of this module that has some tape wrapping - it appears to be factory, but it also seems odd to be wrapped. Otherwise, the wiring, battery cables and the rest of the compartment actually look like new.

Would someone please check and see if their connector has similar taping? I'm going to check fuses, battery voltage, and bulbs this weekend.

Also, does anyone have thoughts on the bad ABS module throwing the electrics off? The electrical issues popped a few days after the airbag lights came on.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 10:46 PM   #2
Clearancediver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4

Look at my reply to a similar question on the SRS/airbag light and BST (Battery safety terminal)

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho....php?p=9983727

I have a '04....

A loose or dirty connection causes a low voltage situation that triggers the fault/illumination of the airbag light.

This may be part of your issue... but with electrical issues I always start with checking to see if my battery (standing voltage) is ok followed with checking the alternator voltage regulator output. The car is sensitive to low voltage....