M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Production BMW 8 Series leaked !!

01-22-2018, 12:01 PM   #309
BwoodBMW
Colonel
Rep
Drives: EFFEIGHTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
This is what the 8er looks like when it is not being photographed through a potato. Yourleaked images shows the outlines but not the details and definitely not enough for someone to make an actual evaluation.
Looking forward to seeing production pics.... gotta be soon no?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 03:29 PM   #310
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 Coupe

Quote:
The Z4 as does the concepts of the 8er and the X7 have minimal differences in order to accommodate legislation from impact tests and pedestrian safety.
On saying that both engineers and designers have worked to bring the cars as close to their conceptual form as possible. Differences are minor but some would describe them as major.

Of my favourites due this year I would say the all new 8er and the 3er and all new X5. And for existing addition the M2 C(ompeition) S.

The new 8er is in every evidence the Gentlemans Racer. It embodies a classic yet overly modern appearance. Exquisite detailing and more emphasis on performance. The upcoming M8 is now branded under "Bayerische Motoren Werke" so will be absolutley exclusive.

The new 3er is leaps and bounds over the outgoing 3er the F30. Interior uses higher quality materials and finer detailing.
Styling is evolutionary but some design details border on the revolutionary. Not just for a 3er but for BMW. It's signature again will be complete competence.
The ability to offer everything for every customer.

The new X5 is a personal favourite as it returns to its original concept.
Now there is the upcoming X7, X5 no longer has two jobs to fulfill.
It's sportier looking, and more sharper in its outlines such as the headlights and rear lights. The rear quarter light kink is a symbol of this direction as it follows the X1 and X3 and kicks up. The ideas are similar to the X3 but were some elements are rounder on the X3. They are more sharper on the X5.
Interior is evolutionary but again there has never been complaints about this feature. Like all upcoming BMWs they get the latest in display technology and connective features.

The M2 is about adding some extra but slight visual drama to the new elements aimed at a more enhanced experience. It looks slightly meaner, especially at the front but overall appearance is restrained rather than being far too dramatic and venturing into comedy dealt with by the Aftermarket. It works from a small checklist to increase its experience, whilst not major I am told that the feeling is noticeable rather than just an increase in power.
The new M2 is all about a more visceral experience which in the current car is phenomenal. I have not driven it but I can't wait to.
Scott26, if hypothetically someone were coming to the end of their lease on their current BMW, say around April 29, and they were wanting to choose between the 2019 i8 (due in "Spring 2018") and the 2019 8er (due "this year"), and furthermore said hypothetical person knew they could extend their current lease by up to 6 months if they were ordering a new BMW, what would you tell this hypothetical person about their chances of getting either car before the end of their extended lease (say October 29)?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 08:13 AM   #311
MHF30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd2003 View Post
Quote:
Lmao to everyone above hating on the car . Amazing what a difference a non distorted picture makes . Very good looking car , the M8 will look amazing .
That interior is a major let down though. I truly hope it's a one off and doesn't find its way across the lineup.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 12:00 PM   #312
MalibuBimmer
Founder, Knights of the Roundel website
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 and 2018 AMG GT

Garage List
2018 Mercedes AMG GT  [0.00]
2018 Audi Q3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
SCOTT26

What does this mean:

Quote:
The upcoming M8 is now branded under "Bayerische Motoren Werke" so will be absolutley exclusive.
Previously: 2014 i8; 2013 650i convertible; 2013 650i Gran Coupe; 2013 X1; 2010 550i GT; 2010 535 GT; 2010 Z4 3.5; 2008 535ixt; 2007 M6 convertible; 2006 650i convertible; 1996 Z3; 1980 633CSi; 1978 630CS; 1972 3.0CS; 1971 Bavaria. (1971; 1979-2005 & 2017 - ? -- the Mercedes years.)
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 12:05 PM   #313
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuBimmer View Post
SCOTT26

What does this mean:
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1421638
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 12:21 PM   #314
MalibuBimmer
Founder, Knights of the Roundel website
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 and 2018 AMG GT

Garage List
2018 Mercedes AMG GT  [0.00]
2018 Audi Q3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Thanks, but other than a black and white logo, instead of a blue and white logo, I didn't understand a word.

Are M cars going to become BMW's "luxury" brand? Are M cars going to be like Mercedes proliferated AMG models, where every car gets a big engine and is considered special?
Previously: 2014 i8; 2013 650i convertible; 2013 650i Gran Coupe; 2013 X1; 2010 550i GT; 2010 535 GT; 2010 Z4 3.5; 2008 535ixt; 2007 M6 convertible; 2006 650i convertible; 1996 Z3; 1980 633CSi; 1978 630CS; 1972 3.0CS; 1971 Bavaria. (1971; 1979-2005 & 2017 - ? -- the Mercedes years.)
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 12:28 PM   #315
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

It is not particular to M specifically. He was merely saying that, like the 8 Series and X7, the M8 will also be part of BMW's new elite brand presence for premium models. As mentioned in the article at the link I posted, the signature of this line will be the black and white propeller logo with the words “Bayerische Motoren Werke” below it.

Quote:
Thanks, but other than a black and white logo, instead of a blue and white logo, I didn't understand a word.

Are M cars going to become BMW's "luxury" brand? Are M cars going to be like Mercedes proliferated AMG models, where every car gets a big engine and is considered special?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 03:45 PM   #316
clbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

Quote:
It is not particular to M specifically. He was merely saying that, like the 8 Series and X7, the M8 will also be part of BMW's new elite brand presence for premium models. As mentioned in the article at the link I posted, the signature of this line will be the black and white propeller logo with the words “Bayerische Motoren Werke” below it.

Quote:

Hasn't all this been done before... Maybach... Citroen and DS etc etc
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 05:26 PM   #317
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHF30 View Post
That interior is a major let down though. I truly hope it's a one off and doesn't find its way across the lineup.
The interior if we strip away the modern technology and add a plethora of switchgear is actuall a modern interpretation of the E31.
But again we only have the view from prototypes at a stage where materials are not essential and the leaked photograph is barely describable.

The interior is exactly laid out as in the concept. And that includes the switchgear and transmission stick. The blanking plate afore the gearstick is removed from the concept and in its place features a sliding cover for the cupholders.

One common issue is that the interior is not driver orientated?
It is. On the concept and on the production. It just the layout is much different now. But quality is there as this will be an expensive car. And as per usual models of this standard and segment. There will be a full line of personalisation and customisation available through BMW Individual.
Attached Images

01-23-2018, 05:42 PM   #318
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Yes the Bayerische Motoren Werke branded premium models are :
7er,8er,M8,i8,i8 Roadster,iNext,9er,X7 and the all new X5.
And maybe an X8
Attached Images

Last edited by SCOTT26; 01-23-2018 at 05:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 05:44 PM   #319
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drlonline View Post
Scott26, if hypothetically someone were coming to the end of their lease on their current BMW, say around April 29, and they were wanting to choose between the 2019 i8 (due in "Spring 2018") and the 2019 8er (due "this year"), and furthermore said hypothetical person knew they could extend their current lease by up to 6 months if they were ordering a new BMW, what would you tell this hypothetical person about their chances of getting either car before the end of their extended lease (say October 29)?
I don't know the US Schedule for the 8er Coupe?
But they should be available on all markets by late November.
      01-23-2018, 05:46 PM   #320
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwoodBMW View Post
Looking forward to seeing production pics.... gotta be soon no?
Not too long now.
      01-23-2018, 06:31 PM   #321
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clbmw View Post
Hasn't all this been done before... Maybach... Citroen and DS etc etc
The new M8 will be a very special car as is the standard 8er.
You might think it's a rebranded 6er. But it's elevated higher than a 6er in performance,driving dynamics,quality and status. And of course it looks every inch a premium sports car.

When you add in everything that is expected on the M8 from the M8 GTE against the standard 8er. You are going to end up with two very different cars indeed but built with the same genes.

The 8er is being benchmarked as is the M8 with the top high performance cars from Porsche,Aston Martin and Bentley. So they are aiming for a more elevated customer from the 6er.

Where the M8 fits in? Is to be something truly individual. They went back to the stillborn M8 to see what can be learned from it. And like the other M models they are looking to increase each series. So M8 is not the ceiling but the start of further progress stretching BMW M further.

Using the Bayerische Motoren Werke branding allows separation from the core BMW models. The current web site allows all models to be selected. As does the Audi and Mercedes-Benz web sites.
But once everything is in place you won't see a 7er slumming it with a 1er as the A with the S or the A3 with the A8.

The new marketing also allows further differentiation and marketing of the more less interesting areas such as CFRP use. These tend to be the sub-messages of a general marketing campaign rather than the driving message.

It all goes back to the debut of the Vision Future Luxury Concept. Where I discussed in length the need for a separation of core and luxury models. In order for this to be achieved there had to be the realisation of further concepts to sustain that level of marketing.

However this was not new for BMW as in the advent of the run-up to the E65 it was clear that enthusiasts were not buying luxury models.
Therefore the E65 had to appeal to a new generation of customer.
Especially in the advent of the technological age.

This led to the dropping of the global Ultimate Driving Machine message being regulated to the English speaking markets and the introduction of a more appealing to a more diverse customer base message of Sheer Driving Pleasure.

Bayerische Motoren Werke is similar.
Progression by being radical to expand your customer base by offering a new level of luxury, status and individuality never seen before.

The exciting aspect about all these new models. Is that they live up to that message and their expectations. It's an exciting time for BMW and the 8er will more be desired and bring more enthusiast-related expectations to the brand you have not seen this past decade.

And your LCI 7er gets one of these.
Attached Images

01-24-2018, 01:36 PM   #322
Kh4N
Private
Rep
Drives: E30 touring, F30 saloon

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 01:39 PM   #323
Kh4N
Private
Rep
Drives: E30 touring, F30 saloon

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 02:56 PM   #324
boyhamdzui
Private
Rep
Drives: F13 640i coupe m sport

Quote:
After seeing posts from BMW today, I think those pictures are still rendering. But I think the series 8 gonna look awesome.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 03:03 PM   #325
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyhamdzui View Post
After seeing posts from BMW today, I think those pictures are still rendering. But I think the series 8 gonna look awesome.
No the AutoBild/Larson images are renders but using information from those that have actually seen the car. With one person advising on GCF that the render here are 98% accurate.
Obviously the new 8er Coupe features a B-Pillar for increased structural rigidity to better its dynamic ability.
      01-24-2018, 10:20 PM   #326
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

Quote:
No the AutoBild/Larson images are renders but using information from those that have actually seen the car. With one person advising on GCF that the render here are 98% accurate.
Obviously the new 8er Coupe features a B-Pillar for increased structural rigidity to better its dynamic ability.

Transaxle true? On all 8ers or just on the M8?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 12:57 AM   #327
shane335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

I was so looking forward to this car! My M4 comes off lease later in the year and I had planned to get the 8 series and then immediately trade up to the M8 when it came out in 2019. The concept car was absolutely amazing looking but if any of these spyshot/leaked images are real it looks to be pretty far from the concept vehicle. Such a huge shame and I cant make sense of why they would do that?

Is there are reason that this car in the leaked shots is so far off the concept they clearly spent a ton of time developing? The front end is very different! Air intakes are much smaller and completely different shape, entire shape of the leading edge is "boxier". I'm bummed. I am really hoping that when we see the actual production version of this car its MUCH closer to the Concept.

I've owned BMW's since 2008 and love them but if those leaked pics are the production car I will be looking for something else which really disappoints me. C'mon BMW!!!! Do the right thing......or just let me buy one of the Concept cars please!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 07:44 AM   #328
sugaki
Rep
Drives: E34 M5

Quote:
It's a rendering, and is definitely not 98% close to the production, as far as proportions go. Headlights are much bigger in the leaked shot, and its bottom lines up with the bottom of the inner grill. This render the headlights are more slender like the concept, which is why it looks better.

Taillights are also fatter in the production version, the license plate opening in the render is way too narrow and can't even fit a US plate, height-wise.

Sure it was shot with a potato, but the end result will be more like the potato, and less like the beautified render.
Appreciate 1
      01-26-2018, 05:41 PM   #329
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugaki View Post
It's a rendering, and is definitely not 98% close to the production, as far as proportions go. Headlights are much bigger in the leaked shot, and its bottom lines up with the bottom of the inner grill. This render the headlights are more slender like the concept, which is why it looks better.

Taillights are also fatter in the production version, the license plate opening in the render is way too narrow and can't even fit a US plate, height-wise.

Sure it was shot with a potato, but the end result will be more like the potato, and less like the beautified render.
I would go with the opinion of someone without bias is this argument. So when I a man of particular bias here. The individual who did see the car not from a raised angle or unflattering perspective.
But had a complete session to view everything says that the render is 98% correct.
Anyways we will find out very,very soon.
      01-27-2018, 01:29 AM   #330
Frosty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M240i - 2021 - 6MT -

Name:  88888.PNG
Views: 671
Size:  1.20 MB
Prelude (5MT) (1995)
Appreciate 2