ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-10-2015, 05:26 PM   #1
fullerra
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
test test  [0.00]
2008 BMW Z4MC  [0.00]
STOLEN (explanation)

I apologize for the late explanation, work has been less than fun this week.
Things started innocently enough, I had the day off, looking to get some work done on the car in preparation of some upcoming track days. The goal was simple:

1. fit the bumper back on the front of the car after fixing my APR splitter / fang gap with plexi-glass, and
2. finding a route to thread some brake ducting onto the front rotors.

That's it, nothing too crazy.

I had just re-located my car within the locked underground lot where I've been doing the bulk of my work for the past several years. Several weeks back I spied a parking spot 3 feet wider than my existing spot, called the parking mgt company who said the spot was free, and I would be able to switch, no problem.

I moved the car, and got it up on jack stands, tires on, where it sat. (my first mistake)

On the day in question, I got the tools and front end into the truck, drove over to the garage, only to find the car GONE. All my stuff (jack stands and some cardboard to use as a crawler) was neatly packed in the corner.

I immediately called the parking management company, who said that no one had towed any car from the lot over the past several weeks, and advised I call the police.

I rushed back home, posted on the forum and called BMW assist.
BMW said that because my BMW Assist had expired, that my car would have to be brought to a dealer to be re-instated, and that they would not be able to re-activate it over the phone, and could therefore not help me locate my car. (second learning point)

This seemed a bit ridiculous to me as nothing was physically turned off in the car, why would it have to be physically turned back on by the dealer...

Then after several frustrating calls with the mgt company, BMW, and police dept. I was on my way to file a formal report while the management company was looking though their security video.

The police dept ran my plate... lo and behold... it was towed, not authorized by the police, and not by the management company... but who!!!

I called the tow company, apparently some guy actually had lease the space, and called a couple of his buddies at a tow company to take away my car.... which was on jack stands at the time!

I then drove to the tow lot, camera in hand to look for damage.... supposedly they used dollies to move the car, I have no idea how they got it off the stands.

Looking underneath, I see that the bolt connecting the right pull rod to the frame is out, and I can't get the threads to seat. Voicing my concern that they used this to jack up the car, I was told that they wouldn't tow me back.

Now I have to rent a U-haul to get my car....(can't drive it out, as the front end is off, and the car is track-only at this point with a big "R" sticker where the inspection sticker should be.

Over at U-haul, the worker ripped the wires to the trailer, while trying to plug it in to the back of the truck, spending the next HOUR trying to splice the wires back together , reminding me of a combination of Mr. McGoo and Joe Pesci from Goodfellas.

After that's done we discover that a fuse is blown in the truck, and have to replace it prior to me being given the okay to leave the lot.
(I now know that GM doesn’t provide spare fuses for their new vehicles)

Thankfully, everything else from there went smoothly.
Unfortunately I haven’t had the time to look back under the car for a more thorough inspection of what may be damaged from the tow.

As far as I know:
1) Mgt company was at fault for letting me take a spot that was occupied
2) The guy was at fault for not notifying the Mgt company that someone was in his spot.
3) The tow company should not have gone into a private garage without notifying the mgt company, as they are the only people that can authorize a tow.
4) Never leave a car on jack stands.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 05:58 PM   #2
MYovichZ4
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i Roadster

Garage List
WOW!! I'm glad you found the car and it wasn't stolen and parted out like Twixboy hoped. j/k

Hopefully the repairs are minor and you have it back on the track shortly.

2007 BMW Z4 3.0i Roadster / Silver Grey
BMW CCA 492691
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 06:12 PM   #3
UntzUntzUntz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 M2 Comp

What unorganized shaftheads they are. All this could've been avoided with just one simple phone call.

I would start pointing fingers on management for this mess. At the very least the towing fee's management should take care of. Since it is their fault after all.

However it's good news she's back in one piece. I can imagine track being more intense after this.

Last edited by UntzUntzUntz; 04-10-2015 at 06:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 06:17 PM   #4
Reborn_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4MC

I KNEW your car was towed (not stolen). I had a similar experience with my motorcycle, where I assumed it was stolen but it was in fact towed.

Hope your damages are minimal and you can get some reimbursement from the garage.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 06:56 PM   #5
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

That's is just nuts!
I would be all over that mgt group.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 06:57 PM   #6
ZMCoupe
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Glad it's back and that the damage is minimal! However one cannot discount the giant pain in the ass this has been for you. I agree that one phone could have avoided this entire mess.

You should probably be reimbursed 50-50 by the management who told you you could have the spot(hopefully you have paperwork) and that were responsible for your car. And the tow company who trespassed and basically did steal your car without authorization or legal grounds to do so. And they apparently damaged your car in the process and are now being dicks about returning it!...

Either way it probably going to be a pain to even get compensated what you are going to spend undoing what happened.

Glad it's back though
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 07:24 PM   #7
fullerra
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
test test  [0.00]
2008 BMW Z4MC  [0.00]
Thanks for the support.

The problem as I see it is that for the past 5 years I've parked at this place, the Mgt company has basically looked the other way and let me work on my car in my little spot all year long, at sometimes odd hours in the morning. I feel that If I go after them, they could easily revoke those privileges and leave me no space to do any work...

I need a nice spot in the "burbs" with a spacious garage

The tow company on the other hand, deserves no mercy.

I would go after the guy that called the tow company in the first place, though I heard he is a cop.

No need for another African American man to be shot under questionable circumstances.......hmmmmmm........
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 07:33 PM   #8
rusty_sojah
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 440

by doing nothing you are allowing this to continue. that is a really shitty situation.
      04-10-2015, 08:12 PM   #9
ZMCoupe
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

I understand the rationale with the garage but they should've at least been aware of what happened/helped you solve your mystery quicker.

As for the cop and tow company they should have BOTH known better and chosen one of the many more logical and practicable alternatives available to them!. (Although through no fault of your own you were in his paid spot). Maybe if you contact him when you know more about any damages and see if he's willing to share responsibility since it was not your fault you were parked in his space.

Who knows maybe you'll be surprised...
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 08:27 PM   #10
torchmedia
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: White Z4MC

I would go after the towing company, they had no right to remove your vehicle. They should reimburse any and all expense you incurred.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 09:14 PM   #11
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
I started renting a similar space here in DC. When I went to check it out with the owner, there was a Porsche Cayman parked in the spot. He said he would get it towed right away. Figuring the Porsche owner was a car guy, I asked him to hold off a few days and place a note on the car instead. As it turned out, the Porsche was owned by the guy in the next space over. Had I had the Porsche towed, there's no telling what sort of retribution my Z would have endured when no one was looking...

Hate to hear about this, but I'm very glad your car wasn't stolen. Thanks for sharing the lessons learned as well.

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 11:08 PM   #12
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Man, that is messed up. These guys basically stole a car and held it hostage. Sounds more like a temper tantrum than adult behavior (a call to the garage management was the first reasonable step). Sure, the garage mgt made a mistake but this guy, taking matters into his own hands, on private property, on a space that isn't owned (rented), has serious issues.

I'd really check out the suspension and various components for damage. Safety first and foremost, then estimates for damage.

I'm glad you at least got the car back and it's not being sold in bits. But wow. Just wow.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2015, 12:19 AM   #13
an3ony
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

JEEZE!?!?!??! well, I live in Saugus and have the tools/time to get your car back together. If you need an extra set of hands, let me know
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2015, 02:42 AM   #14
jdoublehcubed
Mechanical Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR, Imola Red

1. I would file a police report stating the tow company stole your car. Include photos of the damage, and a statement from the management company stating that they did not authorize a tow.

2. I would then file an insurance claim for damages to the car. The insurance company will cover this on your comprehensive coverage.

3. Give the police report to your insurance company who will immediately beat the shit out of the tow company and maybe the guy that illegally had it towed (unfortunately only in the financial sense). Your insurance company WILL do this, because for them it is no big deal, they literally have dozens of lawyers on staff to pursue things like this.

You win on all counts, and do not have to deal with the time/expense of taking legal action. If the tow company comes back around and goes after the garage management, well thats not your problem, they will be forced to defend themselves.

Last edited by jdoublehcubed; 04-11-2015 at 08:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2015, 03:02 AM   #15
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

^Great answer.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2015, 04:05 AM   #16
Vanne
Down Under!!