ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-06-2015, 01:03 AM   #1
koruptor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si Coupe

Garage List
Coupe Trunk Struts

When I pop open my trunk, I find that I have to assist the trunk lid all the way up. It stays up, but the struts don't seem to push the lids all the way up on their own. Is this normal, or do my struts need replacing? If they do need replacing, what brand/model do I need? RealOEM doesn't seem to specify.
      04-06-2015, 05:19 AM   #2
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

You can re gas them, mine goes up by itself. ;-) actually, the nissan I had before this one you could regass them, the bmw ones, I am not sure... hope someone pipes in that knows..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 06:37 AM   #3
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Is it the same with the tonneau cover open or closed.
It could also be the cover that's binding.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 11:00 AM   #4
Karacticus
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si Coupe

I should be able to give you a definitive answer on this, hopefully by next week.

The hatch on mine has been getting a little lazy, and I have been keeping the hinges lubed, so I've got replacement lift struts ready to go in when I've got the time and someone to hold the hatch up while I do the replacement.
      04-06-2015, 12:07 PM   #5
koruptor
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karacticus View Post
I should be able to give you a definitive answer on this, hopefully by next week.

The hatch on mine has been getting a little lazy, and I have been keeping the hinges lubed, so I've got replacement lift struts ready to go in when I've got the time and someone to hold the hatch up while I do the replacement.
Thanks. Looking forward to it.
      04-15-2015, 07:52 AM   #6
Karacticus
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si Coupe

Finally had a chance to replace the lift struts last night-- my Dad was visiting to hold the hatch up while I changed them. Easy enough job, though it's a bit fiddly getting the clips started back on the strut sockets that hold them in place. You do need an extra set of hands or something to hold the hatch up-- one strut is not enough.

Used to be a bit hesitant coming up, especially if it had to pull the roller shade over the cargo compartment-- it isn't anymore.

By hand, can't tell the difference between the old struts and new, but it's definitely different installed.

As an additional note, if I'm reading the specs on the strut correctly, these are 480 Newton struts-- that's well over 100 lb of force. I gave up trying to compress the new struts by hand for fear of bending the rods or breaking the end fittings.
      04-15-2015, 08:23 AM   #7
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

good stuff!!!

A tip for reinstalling them is to slide the clips on part way.
Then they just push home from there after the ball is in the socket.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 09:24 AM   #8
koruptor
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karacticus View Post
Finally had a chance to replace the lift struts last night-- my Dad was visiting to hold the hatch up while I changed them. Easy enough job, though it's a bit fiddly getting the clips started back on the strut sockets that hold them in place. You do need an extra set of hands or something to hold the hatch up-- one strut is not enough.

Used to be a bit hesitant coming up, especially if it had to pull the roller shade over the cargo compartment-- it isn't anymore.

By hand, can't tell the difference between the old struts and new, but it's definitely different installed.

As an additional note, if I'm reading the specs on the strut correctly, these are 480 Newton struts-- that's well over 100 lb of force. I gave up trying to compress the new struts by hand for fear of bending the rods or breaking the end fittings.
Thanks for the followup!