ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-01-2015, 06:42 PM   #1
Ricardosaurusrex
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 2.5i

Aftermarket Headunit

Hi,

So I recently purchased a BMW Z4 2.5i really nice car however it bothers me that it has no navi. Ive been interested in putting in a Pioneer App Radio in it however there doesnt seem to be a DIY guide for this or much space in the car to be honest.

I had a few ideas to throw around. My first idea was to remove the stock stereo and the air vents however i do like my AC and im not sure how i would remove the air duct behind the stereo. my next idea involved removing the area where the cigarette lighter and the convertible top button is at and placing those off to the side. Using that space to install the Navigation system.

Ive seen a few images on google of people who have successfully installed a double din stereo unit however there isnt much information regarding how they made it or a diy to it. anyway any and all constructive information would be great.

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2015, 08:33 AM   #2
funkle
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4 M Coupe

If you google "double din z4" and click into images, you'll see some solutions.

This thread should probably go in the audio/navigation sub forum.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2015, 11:33 AM   #3
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

I would consider a single DIN unit with a retractable screen. That would be fairly easy to put in with a dash kit and give you what you desire without a lot of fabrication(i.e. a double DIN requires either removing, or rerouting the center air vents).
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 03:15 PM   #4
Ricardosaurusrex
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 2.5i

ouch, gotcha. well thank you very much for all your help yea i dont think i wanna hack away at my Z4.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 03:52 PM   #5
Spaceman Spiff
Captain
Rep
Drives: R8, 996 C2, Z4MR (sold)

Removing the vents/ducts and the stereo is a fairly simple task. However single din retractable is a better solution. You can get an "adapter" to fit the radio as well:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Z4-Singl...8871a2&vxp=mtr

I remember having seen an OEM BMW part for this as well but can't find it anywhere now.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 06:46 PM   #6
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

There is an OEM DIN radio kit? Seems doubtful.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 07:38 PM   #7
Spaceman Spiff
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
There is an OEM DIN radio kit? Seems doubtful.
Yep. Found it: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...44&hg=65&fg=95

It's #6 in the diagram, part#65900301349. It was on early EU models that had a regular square-shaped single din radio option.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 08:03 PM   #8
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

I'd go with the stock radio and a small vent mount for your phone for the occasional times that you do need navi.
Aftermarket radios just don't look good in the z4 interior imho.

There are people that buy a seperate (stock) cid, and fix that in their dash, and place a small tablet in that cid.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2015, 10:52 PM   #9
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff View Post
Yep. Found it: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...44&hg=65&fg=95

It's #6 in the diagram, part#65900301349. It was on early EU models that had a regular square-shaped single din radio option.
Interesting! I wonder if that would work with aftermarket DIN radios or just a BMW unit. I also noted that production of the part ended over 10 yrs ago. I guess there may still be a few floating around.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 07:55 AM   #10
funkle
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
I'd go with the stock radio and a small vent mount for your phone for the occasional times that you do need navi.
Aftermarket radios just don't look good in the z4 interior imho.

There are people that buy a seperate (stock) cid, and fix that in their dash, and place a small tablet in that cid.
+1. I toyed with aftermarket decks, but just couldn't bring myself to do it to the interior of this car.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 08:45 AM   #11
Spaceman Spiff
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
Interesting! I wonder if that would work with aftermarket DIN radios or just a BMW unit. I also noted that production of the part ended over 10 yrs ago. I guess there may still be a few floating around.
Sourcing it could be a hassle (maybe from ECS? http://www.ecstuning.com/ES183670/) but it'd fit, as it was designed for the Becker Traffic Pro unit that I think a standard single DIN.

As others have said, aftermarket just doesn't look good IMO. I retrofitted the OEM nav in my first Z4, which was quite a project (~$1000 cost and a couple of days work) for a system that was outdated even then (ca. 2009). Been looking at different options for a while and it seems like the best fit and functionality option is to integrate an android tablet into the OEM nav screen, which is my next project.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 09:02 AM   #12
funkle
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff View Post
Sourcing it could be a hassle (maybe from ECS? http://www.ecstuning.com/ES183670/) but it'd fit, as it was designed for the Becker Traffic Pro unit that I think a standard single DIN.

As others have said, aftermarket just doesn't look good IMO. I retrofitted the OEM nav in my first Z4, which was quite a project (~$1000 cost and a couple of days work) for a system that was outdated even then (ca. 2009). Been looking at different options for a while and it seems like the best fit and functionality option is to integrate an android tablet into the OEM nav screen, which is my next project.
I thought about doing that. The problem is that the CID location is a little too far to comfortably reach for touch screen functions, so opted for mounting the tablet in a holder in front of the vents. Not as elegant, but much more usable. I bought an android tablet just for this purpose. I'm normally an apple guy, but the Implementation of Google maps is much better on an android IMO. Little goodies like on the fly re-routing and night mode are very nice. Since it's not permanently installed in the car, I can use it in all my vehicles.
Appreciate 0