ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-13-2012, 02:09 PM   #1
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

thoughts on the new Evora S?

Hey guys, so after getting rid of the smart car i feel a void again and the Z project is almost done, so I took a drive and went to lunch today and stoped by Lamborghini Chicago to look at an Evora they had sitting in the showroom, its white and i really liked it, its got a 2+2 configuration and fully loaded for 52k, have any of you driven the car, andy thoughts? im really thinking about taking the plunge as ive always wanted a lotus and the elise is not built for someone like me that has broad sholders and 6 foot tall so this may fit the bill.

the S model is over 340 HP which should be a blast!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 02:24 PM   #2
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

At that price it's worth it. I haven't driven one but have sat in one at the dealership. It's basically a slightly refined track car.

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 02:36 PM   #3
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
Hey guys, so after getting rid of the smart car i feel a void again and the Z project is almost done, so I took a drive and went to lunch today and stoped by Lamborghini Chicago to look at an Evora they had sitting in the showroom, its white and i really liked it, its got a 2+2 configuration and fully loaded for 52k, have any of you driven the car, andy thoughts? im really thinking about taking the plunge as ive always wanted a lotus and the elise is not built for someone like me that has broad sholders and 6 foot tall so this may fit the bill.

the S model is over 340 HP which should be a blast!
I haven't driven the S, but I drove an Evora twice with a view of potentially replacing my Z4C with it.

I take it this won't be a regular driver for you which means that some of the practical concerns I had about the evora wouldn't be pertinent to you (outward visibility is brutal, its very low so speed bumps and steep driveways are issues, you need to a back up camera to reverse, parrallel parking is very tough since its hard to see its limits, quality has been somewhat suspect).

As for performance, the non S didn't feel much faster than my Z, but I am sure the S will. Handling was phenomenal, best handling car I've driven, very direct and communicative and high limits. Interior was welcoming if nothing spectacular. Athestically, the car definitely looks exotic, and I think white is its best colour.

Good luck with the decision.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 02:47 PM   #4
blender
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep
Drives: black

If you can get it for $50K or less, take it and run

...and watch the topgear review of the Evora if you want more convincing....
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 02:59 PM   #5
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by baege View Post
you need to a back up camera to reverse, parrallel parking is very tough since its hard to see its limits, quality has been somewhat suspect).

Good luck with the decision.
this is a 2011 version so the quality has been addressed with the many updates they have done after 2009,

also it does have the backup camera as your right its practically imposable to see out the back lol...

I’ve scheduled an extended test drive for tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 09:25 PM   #6
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Well dropped by after work and the white one sold while I was at work ... Go fig ;p. They have a brand new one their I can drive but the used one sold ..... But if I like the test drive I'll start the search! .

Thanks guys for your thoughts !!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 10:05 PM   #7
MHeavNC
Turd in the Punch Bowl
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i /// 2008 M Coupe

I like the styling of the Evora.. Hope you can find something new you can toy with.. You did some amazing/time consuming things to the 06 3.0i.. Did you ever dyno it to see where it wound up after all the mods?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 10:30 PM   #8
Swashplate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: in Anger.

Garage List
Lotus = built in shed build quality. (I am English I can say that)

That being said I was there for the release out in my neck of the woods and bloody good machine
Great build quality.... For a lotus.
!!! BOILER UP !!!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 10:39 PM   #9
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Yea the Z4 project is almost done just a few more things (hood, rear rotors, ECU) the ECU is getting done just had a trial run a bit ago and it worked but had the SES light on so still ironing out the bugs.

No worries though the Z is not going anywhere, so I'm keeping the car. But would like to add the lotus to the list. It seems like it be the lotus to have where just drivability is concerned.

Looking forward to it. I'll post back after the test drive and see how it fairs.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 02:21 AM   #10
WAMz4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si Roady

I know it's a rare opinion, but I've never like Lotus' cars. I find their designs to be bulgy and cartoony. That being said, The Evora is the best looking car with a Lotus name plate in a long time. The cartoony race buggy has grown up and can easily hold its own parked next an Audi R8 at least if not a Ferrari or two.
      04-15-2012, 02:38 PM   #11
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAMz4
I know it's a rare opinion, but I've never like Lotus' cars. I find their designs to be bulgy and cartoony. That being said, The Evora is the best looking car with a Lotus name plate in a long time. The cartoony race buggy has grown up and can easily hold its own parked next an Audi R8 at least if not a Ferrari or two.
That's exactly what I was thinking, I always wanted an R8 but it's not in my price range right now and the simplicity of the lotus cars make them a tad easier to work on. The clutch job alone on an R8 is 10k and that really made me think about what I wanted in a driver car and the toss ability of the evora as a pure drivers car really peaked my interest.

I went and drove it yesterday and found the ride out of this world for a car like that. It felt smoother on bumpy pothole ridden roads than my gramps Cadillac DTS ! I kid you not it makes my Z feel like I'm driving a car with no suspension I was amazed ! I sold myself this weekend on the car as their was no interior squeaks or rattles which both of my friends Elise's are rattle traps it really felt quality on the interior and the drive was phenomenal ! I highly recommend to take one out for a spin when you can. The S is close to E90 M3 0-60 times and the resale is normal lotus so 5k miles and the price drops 30k. Lol. The one they had at the dealer was loaded and was 84k new 2011 model and under 5000 miles and sold in the 50's and I see them all day in the 50's and even high 40's ...... Very excited!

here are the pics of the car i test drove!

Last edited by -c-; 04-15-2012 at 02:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 12:48 AM   #12
Endless619
DHS
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
I almost bought a 2011 and opted for a E92 M3. After I drove one I had second thoughts. They were not fast by any means but felt and looked awesome. So I opted for a newer style M3 and its ok car. Next for me is retirement and R8.

This Lotus needs an inch drop all around, new wheels, and tint. Good to go then.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 08:43 AM   #13
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessZ4M View Post
I almost bought a 2011 and opted for a E92 M3. After I drove one I had second thoughts. They were not fast by any means but felt and looked awesome. So I opted for a newer style M3 and its ok car. Next for me is retirement and R8.

This Lotus needs an inch drop all around, new wheels, and tint. Good to go then.

yea i agree not near as fast as the new M3 but at 4.9 sec its not slow either, the S however is closer to the M3 however, 4.3 to 4.6 0-60 times have been reported.

i think the R8 and lotus Evora where named car of the year on Evo's mag at one point not sure what years it was given.....

im sure if you turn up the boot a tad from it only being 5.5 punds of boost more is to be had.

but as far as price beng half of what a good condition R8 is at the moment its a bargain! i wonder when the R8's will bottom out in price in the next few years, what do you think? 60K? 50K? hmmmm.......
Appreciate 0