ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-26-2009, 10:17 AM   #1
Car_Girl
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X5 xDrive 5.0i

Radar Detector - hard wiring

What's the best power point for a hard wired radar detector? I have the hard wiring kit already but now I need to find a convenient power point to tap into. I asked the stealer and they weren't very helpful. I was thinking of the overhead lighting along the windshield at the top but I'd prefer a lower location since I don't want the detector near the mirror. Suggestions would be awesome! Seems nobody has posted a thread yet on this question - I checked first.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2009, 11:23 AM   #2
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

I saw one thread about it. Thought it was here, but maybe not. In any case, this person ran it under the molding along the top of the windshield and down the right A pillar, then behind the glove compartment to the fuses. If you want yours lower, you could come up the same way to the base of the A pillar and then along the front of the dash to where you mount your RD.

I thought about hard wiring mine, but I'm paranoid about leaving any visible sign of having a detector when I park the car, so I use the normal power cord and even take the mount off the windshield when I park. I could live with someone stealing the RD, but I'd be royally pissed if someone cut my roof open to get to it.

And aren't you selling the ///M anyway?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2009, 11:42 AM   #3
Car_Girl
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

That's exactly what I had thought of doing. On the initial check, the fitment of the top of the dash is pretty snug. Tucking the wire into a location it isn't supposed to be might expose it to a condition where something I can't see could rub thru the wire insulation and cause a short (maybe even let smoke out of the wires!) or could cause a hideous squeak or rattle which would drive me bonkers. Fishing the wire down thru a hole would be nice but there isn't a hole that I can find. Duct work is packed in there pretty tightly and I don't want to take the dash apart looking for a good place for the wire.

You're right - the car is for sale but if it doesn't sell, it doesn't hurt to plan ahead, eh? I'd let the wiring go with the detector and the car if it would help the sale of the car. The RD and car go nicely together!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2009, 12:29 PM   #4
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car_Girl View Post
That's exactly what I had thought of doing. On the initial check, the fitment of the top of the dash is pretty snug. Tucking the wire into a location it isn't supposed to be might expose it to a condition where something I can't see could rub thru the wire insulation and cause a short (maybe even let smoke out of the wires!) or could cause a hideous squeak or rattle which would drive me bonkers. Fishing the wire down thru a hole would be nice but there isn't a hole that I can find. Duct work is packed in there pretty tightly and I don't want to take the dash apart looking for a good place for the wire.

You're right - the car is for sale but if it doesn't sell, it doesn't hurt to plan ahead, eh? I'd let the wiring go with the detector and the car if it would help the sale of the car. The RD and car go nicely together!
Don't blame you. Cramming wires into tight spots is never a good idea. I once asked my dealer about hard wiring on my former E38 and they said they would run it up through a defrost vent. Probably a lot tougher to do that on a Z.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 04:20 PM   #5
jragan
Imola Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Imola Red M Coupe

The best source is in the light cluster at the top center of the windshield. There's a green with white stripe buried in the bundle that only supplies power in key position 2 which is perfect.
      09-27-2009, 05:10 PM   #6
Car_Girl
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks jrag - I definitely want the device on switched power just like you've mentioned. Do you know what fuse in the fuse box the green wire with the white stripe is on?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 08:06 PM   #7
jragan
Imola Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Imola Red M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car_Girl View Post
Thanks jrag - I definitely want the device on switched power just like you've mentioned. Do you know what fuse in the fuse box the green wire with the white stripe is on?
No idea, but this same green/white wire switched via key-on (position 2) exists in several different BMW models of around the same generation and I've never heard of anyone having problems as a result (I haven't). There are also a couple of screws up there in the same area going through the sheet metal (assuming coupe) that can be used as grounding points.
      09-28-2009, 09:37 AM   #8
prophetx2
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273989
Appreciate 0