ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-30-2013, 01:38 PM   #1
mhughett
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Interesting Z4M carfax

I confess that I don't understand carfax reports sometimes. I fanatically maintain my cars and when I've generated a carfax report on it, it would often times show an amount to DEDUCT from fmv even though they are one-owners with no accidents. On the other hand, here is a Z4M that show that the car has had 5 OWNERS (never a good sign for a buyer), and yet the report shows a value that is $1,900 above fmv! Can anyone make any sense out of this? Sometimes it makes me wonder if dealers can somehow influence the outcome of these reports.

http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...r=CDM_0#Owner1

Retired--2007 Z4 M Coupe (Imola Red/Black, Premium Pkg, Heated Seats, XM, Bimmian stubby antenna, CDV delete, Apex EC-7--Anthracite, Goodyear F1 Asymetric 2.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 01:58 PM   #2
silverfishZ4M
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

dealer demo car?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 02:27 PM   #3
WAMz4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si Roady

I would assume the value is based on the mileage, more than the number of owners. anything around 8,000 a year is gonna hold a ton of value. Also "Type" of owner could be a factor. "Commercial" could mean anything from the Dealer using it as a demo car, to some company using it as a corporate perk for good little execs. Either way. Its likely a commercial vehicle has been well maintained by a fleet manager. Judging by the rest of the report. It looks like a good buy.

Last edited by WAMz4; 01-30-2013 at 02:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 02:31 PM   #4
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

I don't understand the fmv being raised either.

I would add that owner #1 had it for 17 days, and #3 had it for 5 days so I don't think these were true owners. Even owner #5 looks like it might have been a dealer?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 02:37 PM   #5
mhughett
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAMz4 View Post
I would assume the value is based on the mileage, more than the number of owners. anything around 8,000 a year is gonna hold a ton of value. Also "Type" of owner could be a factor. "Commercial" could mean anything from the Dealer using it as a demo car, to some company using it as a corporate perk for good little execs. Either way. Its likely a commercial vehicle has been well maintained by a fleet manager. Judging by the rest of the report. It looks like a good buy.
I thought about that but then wondered why would that drive up the value of the vehicle. To me, if someone was using it as a demo and being driven by people who have no stake in the car, that means they probably driving it like they stole it, right? Still makes no sense. Note at the bottom of the carfax that it looks like it was sold again at a Missouri auction last week. I'm not even sure if the dealer listing it on Cars.com still has it. Clearly the dealer knows nothing about the car. It is listed as having 17" wheels (it doesn't) and manual seats (they are electric seats).

Retired--2007 Z4 M Coupe (Imola Red/Black, Premium Pkg, Heated Seats, XM, Bimmian stubby antenna, CDV delete, Apex EC-7--Anthracite, Goodyear F1 Asymetric 2.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 02:47 PM   #6
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

it was probably a lease vehicle
the renewals sometimes come through as new owners.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 02:57 PM   #7
WAMz4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si Roady

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhughett View Post
I thought about that but then wondered why would that drive up the value of the vehicle. To me, if someone was using it as a demo and being driven by people who have no stake in the car, that means they probably driving it like they stole it, right? Still makes no sense. Note at the bottom of the carfax that it looks like it was sold again at a Missouri auction last week. I'm not even sure if the dealer listing it on Cars.com still has it. Clearly the dealer knows nothing about the car. It is listed as having 17" wheels (it doesn't) and manual seats (they are electric seats).
I would think that if it were a rental at Avis or something. And although you never know what kind of idiot has a car before you, If some one has to give it back to their own company who knows how to find them if anything is wrong, they may be more likely to take care of it. I would. But i'm not an idiot.
But the CARFAX is just an overview of whats been reported. Any good third party mechanic can tell you if its been a hard 42k, or easy before you buy.

It is strange that the dealer doesn't know anything about it. But as far as the auction goes. Most used cars are auctioned at some point. If a dealer takes it as a trade, they usually auction it rather than sell it just to move it off the lot. Or if its not selling after a few weeks, they auction it to move it.
      01-30-2013, 08:31 PM   #8
silverfishZ4M
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

the company i work for buys cars for many of the execs, and if they weren't taking proper care of it, it would be taken away.
what i mean to say is, everyone takes pretty good care of their cars. i'd be OK with it being a company vehicle. usually the company covers all the maintenance.
Appreciate 0