ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-11-2010, 08:54 AM   #45
BMW Maniac
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former Z4M coupe owner

What exhaust is that, it doesn't look like stock.

1999 /// M3 Convertible Techno Violet
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 10:07 AM   #46
Nhopkins1394
Accountant, 1st Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si Roadster, Black

Thanks for the write-up.
You just slowed me down alot!

After looking at the photos, I'm beginning to wonder how they ever found you out there in the low spot of the field, no lights, no witnesses , high weeds....

Last edited by Nhopkins1394; 11-11-2010 at 10:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 12:21 PM   #47
dekaliber
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '11 JCW, '18 Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Maniac View Post
What exhaust is that, it doesn't look like stock.
Looks like Magnaflow.

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showpost...83&postcount=1
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 01:11 PM   #48
apexstrafer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Stunning, sobering photos and story. I'm glad you made it out alive and with most of your faculties intact. You're very lucky you were in a good, strong car and there wasn't more to hit. Hopefully others will learn from your mistake.
      11-12-2010, 08:27 AM   #49
Preyhunter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93 BSM 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
Is this what you meant to say? I am surprised they wouldn't have at least checked to confirm even if they did not suspect alcohol was a factor. I remember one time I was stopped for speeding. As I exited my car the high side bolsters(not my M, but a Jetta GLI) made my exit from the drivers seat less than gracefully. The officer asked if I had been drinking(I had not consumed a drop). I said no and he asked if I would take a breathalizer to confirm. I agreed and when it came up 0.0 he said "honest man".

The way I am reading you neither confirm, nor deny you were drinking. Maybe you truly don't remember with the head injury. In any event, glad you lived to tell the tale. Quite a story and great documentation.
You are correct. I will not confirm or deny anything until I know for sure that no legal action can be taken against me. Take from that what you will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Maniac
What kind of exhaust is that? It looks better than stock.

I think we've all done stupid things, just glad you and the passenger were able to survive such a horrific accident.
As far as I know, the exhaust was stock. I made no changes to the vehicle other than putting the stubby antenna on it. I wouldn't suspect that the previous owner had changed the exhaust because everything else on the car was stock and there were no signs that anything had been modified and returned to stock. It could have happened, though. Who knows?

The passenger and I have recovered quite well so far and continue to improve. It has been a life changing experience for both of us, to say the least. We will both be making different decisions about things in the future based on this experience.

I stumbled upon this thread purely by accident. I was on the site researching for my next car purchase over in the 3 series forum and saw the occasional wreck thread. I began to wonder if others on the site had accidents similar to mine, so I came over to the Z4 forum to see. When I searched for wreck, it returned 2 results and this thread was the first result.

I think I may stick with BMW as my fun car of choice from this point forward. I think the fact that we were not hurt as seriously as we probably should have been is due in part to the passenger compartment holding up as well as it did. How much of that was God protecting us and how much was due to German engineering I don't know, but there's no reason to take any chances. I ended up buying a 2007 335i convertible yesterday, but that 2009 sDrive35i Z4 with hardtop convertible was awfully tempting. I think I'll wait until my 2 boys are out of the house before getting another 2-seater. The whole family can enjoy this one together SAFELY.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2010, 11:36 AM   #50
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preyhunter View Post
I think I may stick with BMW as my fun car of choice from this point forward. I think the fact that we were not hurt as seriously as we probably should have been is due in part to the passenger compartment holding up as well as it did. How much of that was God protecting us and how much was due to German engineering I don't know, but there's no reason to take any chances. I ended up buying a 2007 335i convertible yesterday, but that 2009 sDrive35i Z4 with hardtop convertible was awfully tempting. I think I'll wait until my 2 boys are out of the house before getting another 2-seater. The whole family can enjoy this one together SAFELY.
The fact that neither of you are DEAD is purely luck. Sure, riding in one of the stiffest chassis man has ever built probably has a little to do with it, but crashing at 140mph and living to tell about it in a passenger car, ANY passenger car? Go buy a lottery ticket because you two are the luckiest sunnobee in the world.

For a point of reference, there was a very similar crash involving a 335i in upstate NY (the thread was posted on Bimmerforums but it was in the news), arguably a safer car due to its size compared to the Z4. Car left the pavement at an estimated 120mph and both passengers were dead on site.

I can also post pictures of the gal that crashed her dad's Porsche, arguably one of the safest and well engineered cars on the road, at 90mph, in Coast Mesa. Her head was sliced in half. She didn't survive either.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2010, 02:31 PM   #51
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preyhunter View Post
You are correct. I will not confirm or deny anything until I know for sure that no legal action can be taken against me. Take from that what you will.

Yes - this is what I suspected...

As far as I know, the exhaust was stock. I made no changes to the vehicle other than putting the stubby antenna on it. I wouldn't suspect that the previous owner had changed the exhaust because everything else on the car was stock and there were no signs that anything had been modified and returned to stock. It could have happened, though. Who knows?
No it is not stock. You can see the neck beyond the twin exhausts which drop to one pipe and into a standard looking muffler. The OEM exhaust is completely different with two pipes exiting directly out of the muffler. The muffler is much more prominent as well. Many people say the OEM setup looks like testicles...
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 02:11 AM   #52
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
Many people say the OEM setup looks like testicles...
So when you snip the balls off and make it more feminine via an aftermarket exhaust, it becomes a whole lot more noisy (and even annoying to certain ears)...
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 09:28 AM   #53
Blind32
Certified Adrenaline Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

Glad to hear your ok. Did you purchase this car in Keller? I think I test drove it when looking for mine. It had an aftermarket exhaust but thats all. It wasn't super loud but droned a bit.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 10:31 AM   #54
blue-coupe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1999 Z3 Coupe

Welcome to everyday after the accident! Glad you are still with us!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 08:38 AM   #55
teamemmenracing
Registered
Rep
Drives: z4

Was following this on another Forum ....... firstly, glad you both made it out ok ..... wreckage looks pretty horrific .....

I actually don't see too much wrong with 140 mph ...... ok stop shouting ....... the zed is more than capable of those speeds, questions are about time of day, visibility, road condition, traffic etc ..... but anyway, not important for my point of view.....

Only things that stand out as wrong to me are ......

140 mph with a passenger - not something I would ever consider - could be the kind of work Im in but Im always looking at worst case scenario's ..... 140 mph alone is cool ...... 140 mph two up is not (in my opinion)

and the other point is dealing with insurance companies ....... especially when you are looking for heaps of money ........ when there is a traffic incident and the word "party" is involved - doesn't matter what story you have, the main theme in everyones head will be, drink / drugs / both and exuberance in spades ....... and you just know you are going to have problems. It may be age related but I actually think about these things before I do them ....... leaving a party, Id be driving like a Nun ..... leaving work Id be driving like I stole it etc etc etc .....

anyway ...... like I said, glad to hear you all survived ......
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 12:15 PM   #56
ricanbandit
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 30i

Dude, just read this. Two words... God Bless... Wow, I hit a buck 45 in mine as was rather surprised just how "normal" it felt. On alligator Alley between Naples and Miami .

It is pretty sobering to see just how quick something can go wrong. thanks for telling your story, will make me thing again next time.

Again, God Bless...
      12-28-2011, 01:05 PM   #57
msh441
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
Thank you for raising this thread from the dead.

A terrific read and a great reminder that even if it seems like the "right time and place" for hooliganism, sh*t does happen (and at 140, it happens FAST and BIG!).

HUGE props to Preyhunter for answering questions and being as forthright as he was regarding what I would assume is a pretty sensative issue. Sincerely glad you both are OK.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 11:27 AM   #58
mikeinsf
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Roadster

Thanks for your candid discussion of this crash Preyhunter. You beat the odds and luck was on your (and your passenger's) side. Glad you're both ok. I'll take this as a moment to reflect on some of the risks I take.

2007 ///M roadster
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 01:10 AM   #59
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

very glad to read that you and your passenger came out of that ordeal alright...albeit with some scars both emotional and physical.

your car looked great btw. you didn't notice that you had an aftermarket exhaust?

enjoy the 3 series and best wishes going forward.