ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-24-2010, 01:18 AM   #1
txz4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 M coupe

just installed stebro muffler.

this is just based on the first day ive had the exhaust, just full disclosure.

ok first off, the quality did not look that great, you can definitely tell its not a high volume production. about the only good thing about the look is that its very shiny and from a distance does look very good.

second, the sound outside of the car. it sounds amazing outside of the car, just like the videos but deeper.

third, the sound in the car. it drones ALOT from like 1k to 2k its very bassy in the cab. in an auto its a little irritating at times when accelerating slowly. If you drive a manual or spend most of your time in manual its actually doesnt drone and gives you a very good sound. (this isnt all that out of the ordinary around those rpms VS auto transmission rpms)

forth, the fitment. The fitment of this muffler was crap. everything went on but was nowhere near being in the right place with the hangers the way they were. i ended up having the shop heat the hanger that are attached to the muffler and bend them to a place that would be perfect. about 2 inches down on both of the hangers.

All in i would say that the sound is amazing compared to the quite stock muffler. once you have driven a car with a exhaust upgrade its hard to drive a quite sporty car. The sound is really great for making the aural experience that much better, but remember that in certain RPMs it drones; so consider this if your interested in buying.

P.S. i had no strange problems with the shipping. I bought it from, tanauto on ebay and he said he would send it in 6 days at most, i ended up getting a tracking number in 4. it was shipped just wrapped in bubble wrap, no box or anything; that being said it wasnt wrapped badly, just very strange i guess.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 03:51 PM   #2
txz4
Major
Rep

update after a few days. the drone has gotten alot better. before the drone was very harsh and bright, as time has gone b the drone has taken a more warm less harsh tone and volume. i forgot to mention in the previous post (3 am very tired) the tips on the exhaust look amazing.

all in all i would say it was a good buy. there is no way you could instal this muffler yourself without a lift and a torch (to heat and bend the hangers)
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 04:32 PM   #3
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Sorry to hear about fitment. Glad everything is ok now though. Even my Rogue Engineering muffler doesn't fit as nice as stock.

///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 02:42 PM   #4
txz4
Major
Rep

for the record, the company i bought the muffler from said that it would fit no problem. I had to pay an extra hour of service to get it right, but the company i bought it from paid for the extra time.

the service was great and the trunaround time wasnt bad, dont buy the exhaust from stebro as ive heard complaints, buy it from a seller like a did.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 02:06 AM   #5
txz4
Major
Rep

for anyone who may be interested in the future, here is what the stock muffler looked like compared to the stebro.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0