ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-27-2012, 07:32 PM   #23
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMMERGUY91 View Post
Oh boy. This has really got me nervous. A failure like that at such low mileage is really scary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaZeta View Post
Yeah, but I'm guessing the problem was caused/made worse by pushing it to its limit on a track. For a non-track driver like myself, I don't think you have much to worry about.
^WHS

Also, many folks have quite a few track days with no issues. That doesn't mean we won't at some point, and that preventative maintenance (including bearing replacement) isn't required. But I would not conclude, based on this alone, that there is anything to worry about.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 08:48 PM   #24
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
What F360 said, and Ovatine has good input as well.

Man, I can only imagine how you feel.

VAC Motorsports is in PA, they specialize in S54 rebuilds, racing builds, etc. Might be worth consideration, since this project seems to have an expanding scope without a clear target or clear diagnosis.
Adam (F360C) is far more well versed in the matter than I am but I'd be surprised if Bill at Bimmerclinic overlooked the things you mentioned. VAC's reputation is definitely among the best but Bimmerclinic is considered to be just as good, just not nearly as big. Take them out, only other reputable shops in NJ are Northeast MS, Rogue and Mr .M. but I'd have no problem recommending any of them. Only other shop I'd consider is Motorcepts out in Queens, and I know they took good care of Barney.

Best of luck Tony, keep me / us posted.
      11-30-2012, 12:37 AM   #25
Z4-VILLA
Banned
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Z4M Hardtop Roadster

oil change every 7k?! wtf?

I can change my oil every 3000 miles religiously.... i drive my car every single day and in all weather conditions whenever possible..... my engine has close to 70,000 miles with headers and a tune and some other toys and I have had no problems... I even waited past 50,000 miles to do my valve adjustment I believe I did mine at 60,000 miles..... I think of something else going on here.....
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 11:45 AM   #26
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
WTF??? Oil changes every 3000 miles religiously?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 01:02 PM   #27
Z4-VILLA
Banned
Afghanistan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMetal
WTF??? Oil changes every 3000 miles religiously?
:-) no engine issues here
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 04:39 PM   #28
BIMMERGUY91
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 335I M Sport

BMW recommends 15k. I'll be doing 7k
2007 Z4MC #1019/1815 (Sold)
1997 M3 (Sold)
1991 325i
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 06:34 PM   #29
SCHMOUPE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4-VILLA View Post
:-) no engine issues here
Don't count your chickens before they're hatched.

Gruppe M CAI / Euro Headers / Rogue Engineering X-pipe / RE Diablo Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 10:49 PM   #30
Z4-VILLA
Banned
Afghanistan
Rep

so maybe i shouldnt change so often?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 02:08 PM   #31
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M

If you track your car and wait 15k or even 7500 for that matter you deserve what happens next lol. If you are doing 4 -6 track days and 3000 street miles its perfectly reasonable to change your oil . If you want to push it out longer check an oil analysis and prove your oil is still up to spec . It's just cheap insurance to change your oil on an expensive motor that's seeing track time .
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 02:10 PM   #32
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M

And it's probably a good idea to replace your bearings with treated ones as well , if you are going to see heavy track use , it's really the only weak point on our engines. Any addition failure in this case came from that bearing failure .
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 06:29 PM   #33
Z4-VILLA
Banned
Afghanistan
Rep

yeah I know Im doing the right thing changing my oil every 3k religiously......I was just laying low about it after some members were firing sarcasms my way for doing so, but at the end of the day Im pushing 70k miles on my engine without a rebuild :-)

Last edited by Z4-VILLA; 12-01-2012 at 06:30 PM.. Reason: dont hate
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 09:01 PM   #34
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4-VILLA View Post
yeah I know Im doing the right thing changing my oil every 3k religiously......I was just laying low about it after some members were firing sarcasms my way for doing so, but at the end of the day Im pushing 70k miles on my engine without a rebuild :-)
3k seems overkill for a street car. I'm sure you could get away with 5-6k and cut your costs by half.
      12-01-2012, 09:04 PM   #35
seank
enthusiast
Rep
Drives: e30 m3,e90 wagon,sprinter,z4m

Spun rod bearings are caused by insufficient oil, which is usually due to insufficient pressure at a period.

Thanderhill Raceway turn 2 Clock Wise direction is a rod bearing eater. It often happens on high G turns where the engine is at very high rpm's and the oil is pulled away from the pump. Sticky Hoosiers don't help this issue. I remember reading that track S54's have an upgraded oil pump and modified baffles. More pump pressure will also let you run a lighter weight oil which will also make more power.

Sorry to hear about your bearings but everyone should not be worried unless they track the car heavily or run low oil.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 11:51 PM   #36
Alexander
Mad tyte EuR0 style boooi <--- Joke
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E85, MKVI

Common S54 issue.

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/part...uilt_S54/17638

Some info on how HPF does their S54 blocks.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 08:13 AM   #37
Z4-VILLA
Banned
Afghanistan
Rep

http://store.vacmotorsports.com/vac-...ump-p1033.aspx
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 04:30 PM   #38
knsaber
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW M Roadster Imola Red

I'm in a huge mess right now. Bimmer Clinic replaced the rod bearings but it didn't solve the issue, so I'm down $2k. I screwed myself by not checking CPO warranty first because I thought it was expired but it turned out I am still covered, however I called North America and because I had the engine worked on by a third party the warranty is void.

The dealer only checked the oil and mentioned there were a lot of metal filings and its better to replace the engine. I'm basically back at square one, wasted money already and definitely out of warranty.

New engine will be $16-18k which is highly not going to happen with me.

I do not want a junked engine.

I might just have to rebuild?
      12-07-2012, 05:54 PM   #39
BookerM3
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Sorry to hear...

1 - How does BMW N/A know that you had work performed 3rd party?
Can you bring the car to a different dealer?

2 - Now that the bearing have been replace where is the knock coming from?
Upper of lower end?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 07:06 PM   #40
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1

Actually, under CPO, if another 3rd party works on your car, it does NOT void the warranty. So, with the problem still persisting, then the problem would still be covered under your CPO.

I would drop it off at the dealership with the following language:

Repair Services
While you may elect to use a non-approved repair facility for maintenance or repairs, BMW is not obligated to pay for any such repairs (even if covered under the Certified Pre-Owned BMW Limited Warranty). To obtain service under the Certified Pre-Owned BMW Limited Warranty, the vehicle must be delivered to an authorized BMW center. Moreover, the Certified Pre-Owned BMW Limited Warranty does not cover additional expenses related to a breakdown such as, but not limited to, car rental, lodging expenses, loss of pay or telephone charges, except as covered by BMW Roadside Assistance.

See, you had Problem A. You took it to a 3rd party repair facility and they could not diagnose/fix Problem A. You'll be out of the $2,000. But since Problem A still persists and wasn't a cause of the 3rd party repair facility, it should still be covered under CPO.

You don't have to bring your car to a BMW dealership to be covered under the CPO. But BMW doesn't have to pay for it if they don't want to. However, they're still under the obligation of the warranty even if you have covered repairs done by a 3rd party, they may just not pay for it.

Last edited by GammaZeta; 12-07-2012 at 07:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 07:14 PM   #41
seank
enthusiast
Rep
Drives: e30 m3,e90 wagon,sprinter,z4m

Quote:
Bimmer Clinic replaced the rod bearings but it didn't solve the issue, so I'm down $2k.
I also think the Bimmer Clinic owes you money, unless you said "the guys on the forum said its the rod bearings, so replace the rod bearings!"

Time to find another mechanic.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 07:26 PM   #42
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaZeta View Post
Actually, under CPO, if another 3rd party works on your car, it does NOT void the warranty. So, with the problem still persisting, then the problem would still be covered under your CPO.

I would drop it off at the dealership with the following language:

Repair Services
While you may elect to use a non-approved repair facility for maintenance or repairs, BMW is not obligated to pay for any such repairs (even if covered under the Certified Pre-Owned BMW Limited Warranty). To obtain service under the Certified Pre-Owned BMW Limited Warranty, the vehicle must be delivered to an authorized BMW center. Moreover, the Certified Pre-Owned BMW Limited Warranty does not cover additional expenses related to a breakdown such as, but not limited to, car rental, lodging expenses, loss of pay or telephone charges, except as covered by BMW Roadside Assistance.

See, you had Problem A. You took it to a 3rd party repair facility and they could not diagnose/fix Problem A. You'll be out of the $2,000. But since Problem A still persists and wasn't a cause of the 3rd party repair facility, it should still be covered under CPO.

You don't have to bring your car to a BMW dealership to be covered under the CPO. But BMW doesn't have to pay for it if they don't want to. However, they're still under the obligation of the warranty even if you have covered repairs done by a 3rd party, they may just not pay for it.
Good stuff here. Obviously goes without saying "I was at the track when..." I'd give this a go.

SeanK raises a good point as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 07:37 PM   #43
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep

From the FTC:

Auto Warranties, Routine Maintenance, and Repairs:
Is Using the Dealer a Must?
If you own a car, you know how important it is to keep up with routine maintenance and repairs. But can a dealer refuse to honor the warranty that came with your new car if someone else does the routine maintenance or repairs?

The Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the nation's consumer protection agency, says no. In fact, it's illegal for a dealer to deny your warranty coverage simply because you had routine maintenance or repairs performed by someone else. Routine maintenance often includes oil changes, tire rotations, belt replacement, fluid checks and flushes, new brake pads, and inspections. Maintenance schedules vary by vehicle make, model and year; the best source of information about routine scheduled maintenance is your owner's manual.

What is a warranty?

A warranty is a promise, often made by a manufacturer, to stand behind its product or to fix certain defects or malfunctions over a period of time. The warranty pays for any covered repairs or part replacements during the warranty period.

Do I have to use the dealer for repairs and maintenance to keep my warranty in effect?

No. An independent mechanic, a retail chain shop, or even you yourself can do routine maintenance and repairs on your vehicle. In fact, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, which is enforced by the FTC, makes it illegal for manufacturers or dealers to claim that your warranty is void or to deny coverage under your warranty simply because someone other than the dealer did the work. That said, there may be certain situations where a repair may not be covered. For example, if you or your mechanic replaced a belt improperly and your engine is damaged as a result, your manufacturer or dealer may deny responsibility for fixing the engine under the warranty. However, according to the FTC, the manufacturer or dealer must be able to demonstrate that it was the improper belt replacement — rather than some other defect — that caused the damage to your engine. The warranty would still be in effect for other parts of your car.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 07:39 PM   #44
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep

BMW NA would HAVE TO PROVE that the engine problem occurred BECAUSE of Bimmer Clinic. And if they DID PROVE it was due to Bimmer Clinic's fault, then you would have a pretty damn good lawsuit against Bimmer Clinic for causing the problem.

Either way, I would mention this to BMW NA.
Appreciate 0