ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!
View Poll Results: 08 M Coupe missing 1200 mile break-in service deal killer?
If the price is right who cares? 2 5.71%
Perhaps, if the other service history looks ok, then maybe. 10 28.57%
No chance in hell. 23 65.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

02-06-2012, 09:17 AM   #23
Pheonix
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe 2012 e93 M3

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaZeta View Post
I don't think it's a problem of the M cars actually having the 1,200 inspection done, I think it's more of a problem PROVING that they had the inspection done. After a 6 month search for a Z4M, I can tell you how few dealers and sellers will: A. go through the trouble of trying to get a service history B. actually get a service history from BMW / BMW dealership C. already have a service history on hand.
Not sure if i understand your comment (or agree with you). It is not that hard to PROVING that they had the inspection done! The Break-in Services are FREE and being pay for by BMW. There is an actual Code for the work being done so it was either got done or NOT (Unless the dealer was stupid enough not to file a claim for the work). All service records are store in BMW Database and any BMW dealer could pull it with just the VIN.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 12:04 PM   #24
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
I don't know that they did or did not have their 1,200 service done. But it's rare for any M car to not have the service done, especially recent cars--like ours--that were covered under free maintenance plan.
Quote:
I don't think it's a problem of the M cars actually having the 1,200 inspection done, I think it's more of a problem PROVING that they had the inspection done. After a 6 month search for a Z4M, I can tell you how few dealers and sellers will: A. go through the trouble of trying to get a service history B. actually get a service history from BMW / BMW dealership C. already have a service history on hand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheonix View Post
Not sure if i understand your comment (or agree with you). It is not that hard to PROVING that they had the inspection done! The Break-in Services are FREE and being pay for by BMW. There is an actual Code for the work being done so it was either got done or NOT (Unless the dealer was stupid enough not to file a claim for the work). All service records are store in BMW Database and any BMW dealer could pull it with just the VIN.
Hmmm, Gamma, I don't discount your experience, it's just that personally I haven't had an issue. I have a guy I work with at the dealership and he's happy to look up the VIN number and service history for me. (Then again, I have bought a few cars from him, which of course helps.)

IIRC, the 1,200 showed up on the Carfax records too (not that I always trust Carfax mind you, and if it were missing there I'd still want a BMW VIN service check).

Like Pheonix said, if it's been done it's going to be in the BMW system. The dealership isn't going to be reimbursed for the labor without logging it into that system--if it was done it's in the system.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 03:37 PM   #25
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1

Quote:
I seriously looked at around 10 cars, 4 or 5 of them at non-BMW dealerships, and 2 or 3 private parties. Out of the 10, only 2 were able to get the complete service history.

They would say "we can't release the history due to confidentiality" or "its not available anywhere" or "the BMW dealership says only the owner can get them, not a car dealership".

I walked away from the ones that couldn't be bothered (most of the cars are still for sale) and I ended up buying the one with the service history.

You would be surprised at how much of a pain in the @$$ it is to get a service history unless you have a friend at a BMW dealership.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 04:57 PM   #26
RADRACR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Z4 M Coupé // '09 X5 d

Quote:
Depends how badly they want your business. If another shmuck is as interested as you but easier to deal with, they'll deal with the shumuck. If there are no shmucks, they'll do as you ask.
'08 Z4 ///M Coupé (#1765/1815) — 1 of 68 Sepang Bronze / Black Nappa / Madeira Wood / 1 of 1 this combo
19" Advan RS / AP Racing / Bridgestone RE-11 / Autosolutions SSK / R.E. Diablo / R.E. trans mounts
'09 X5 35dSpace Grey / Saddle Brown
20" Forgestar F14 / SCR Delete
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 05:45 PM   #27
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Does anyone have a recent carfax on their car or one they were looking for? As much as I have reservations about carfax reporting (it's a tool, not a replacement for a PPI or other checking), I'm pretty sure I was able to see the 1,200 on it for the car I bought. Not foolproof by any means, but another angle.

As for dealerships, it doesn't hurt to build a good relationship with a sales person or an SA. Yes, I know that doesn't help you right now Gamma, but for those that can forge this relationship with folks there it can come in handy. If you don't have that, there are other angles to try. (BTW, the confidentiality thing is a crock anyway--these aren't medical records--and they can certainly verify whether a BMW warranty required service was done.)

If there isn't a relationship with a dealership, and if it's private party car that's under consideration, it may all be in how the question to the dealership is packaged. What's in it for the dealer? Why should they bother? They're there to make money, not answer questions from random folks coming in to ask about cars the dealership isn't selling.

So, give them a nice fat reason full of $$$ to give an answer. I'd put it to them as "I'm looking to buy a Z4M from this private party. Key to my decision on purchasing that car is knowing the service history, and if I can't find out about that I'm going to pass on the car. You know these cars need a lot of care and feeding, Inspection I and valves, Inspection II and a lot more. I'm here asking because if I buy the car I'm going to need it serviced, and word is that you guys run a really good shop, and I'd like to do that here. So, let's take a quick look at those records together."

IDK, be creative, it can't hurt. Ask if they do PPIs. Say you want to do the full PPI there if we can get past the first hurdle of the 1,200. Again, what's in it for the dealership? Heck, if the service wasn't done, get the guy's card and ask if you can drop by or call if there's another car candidate, and let them know if one shows up on the lot you want a call too.

If it's a dealer car and the dealership won't cough up the information, that would be enough for me to walk and not bother to look back. Pretty much it's as 'storm said already.

Last edited by Finnegan; 02-06-2012 at 06:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 06:20 PM   #28
gtMc
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 MC

Garage List
'03 e39 m sport  [0.00]
'08 mc  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Does anyone have a recent carfax on their car or one they were looking for? As much as I have reservations about carfax reporting (it's a tool, not a replacement for a PPI or other checking), I'm pretty sure I was able to see the 1,200 on it for the car I bought. Not foolproof by any means, but another angle.
Just pulled Carfax on mine, it said this: "Manufacturers recommended maintenance performed", and its dated but doesnt show mileage or more description. The date matches the seperate maintenance schedule I recv'd on the car showing the same date and a 1200 mile service done at 1337 miles.
      02-06-2012, 06:28 PM   #29
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC Interlagos

I always thought BMW NA maintained all BMW service records in a centrally managed data base? They do here in Canada...
SS Race Cans, RE X Pipe, DKF Sec 1, Fabspeed Headers, OE STB, AS Shifter, Dave Z CDV, GC Coil Overs, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC Pads, RE Clutch Stop, RE Transmission Mounts, Vibra-Technics Engine Mounts, Poly FCAB & RTAB, LeatherZ M Shift Boot, Tekarbon Rear Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS DGM
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 06:33 PM   #30
Pheonix
Major
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
Same here. Carfax is not a substitude for PPI (and I dont trust them for shit). That being said, my service records matched Carfax and the break-in services was done at 1,103 miles. This was on top of my list of things when I was looking and luckily I found my match.
To the OP, I dont know how long you are planning to keep the car but you will probably have a really hard to sell it based on the poll results (69.23% wont even touch it, while about 23% might if the records r clean and 8% might base on price). Be patient
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 06:54 PM   #31
RADRACR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Z4 M Coupé // '09 X5 d

Quote:
To the OP, I dont know how long you are planning to keep the car but you will probably have a really hard to sell it based on the poll results (69.23% wont even touch it, while about 23% might if the records r clean and 8% might base on price). Be patient
But keep in mind that only enthusiasts are on forums, which make up a small percentage of owners. Joe Sixpack may not even be aware there is 1200-mile maintenance.
'08 Z4 ///M Coupé (#1765/1815) — 1 of 68 Sepang Bronze / Black Nappa / Madeira Wood / 1 of 1 this combo
19" Advan RS / AP Racing / Bridgestone RE-11 / Autosolutions SSK / R.E. Diablo / R.E. trans mounts
'09 X5 35dSpace Grey / Saddle Brown
20" Forgestar F14 / SCR Delete
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 06:54 PM   #32
gcochard
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Joe indy shop wasn't aware during my PPI...
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 07:05 PM   #33
Pheonix
Major
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aestheticstorm View Post
But keep in mind that only enthusiasts are on forums, which make up a small percentage of owners. Joe Sixpack may not even be aware there is 1200-mile maintenance.
You are correct but there will be a day when most our cars will be sought after by real enthusiasts ( just like the Z3M)
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 03:30 AM   #34
Aries326
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si, 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW Z4 3.0si  [9.00]
Is it true that only M vehicles now should get the 1200 mile maintenance? What are your opinions on 1200 mile maintenance on non-M vehicles. I found a source that recommends the 1200 mile maintenance on all BMWs. I bought the BMW Maintenance program even though my car was CPO when I bought it. Could I walk into the dealership and ask that what should have been done at the 1200 mile maintenance be done to my vehicle? Thanks.
      02-12-2012, 10:02 AM   #35
Pheonix
Major
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries326 View Post
Is it true that only M vehicles now should get the 1200 mile maintenance? What are your opinions on 1200 mile maintenance on non-M vehicles. I found a source that recommends the 1200 mile maintenance on all BMWs. I bought the BMW Maintenance program even though my car was CPO when I bought it. Could I walk into the dealership and ask that what should have been done at the 1200 mile maintenance be done to my vehicle? Thanks.
Good read! Mike Miller is very hardcore when it comes to Maintenance. I dont think the 1200 miles services r required for non M.
I am also whole heartly with the article on the oil change interval. VW did the same thing when they offered the Free Maintenance Services. The service interval magically increased to 15k miles without any changes to the design or material being used. It is a marketing scam in my opinion. I would rather have another extra year of warranty than anything else

Last edited by Pheonix; 02-12-2012 at 10:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 12:38 PM   #36
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

When I bought my car I took it in for service and the SA was able to get this document for me. I assume any SA has access to the info if they want to get it for you. My 1,200 mile service was done at around 4,400 miles.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 01:09 PM   #37
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by aestheticstorm View Post
I don't recall since I'm well past 1200 miles, but was there a service indicator for the 1200mi break-in service/maintenance?

-----------

I can certainly understand having issues with not finding paperwork on a given car by a salesperson. However, a lot of car salespeople I've met and/or dealt with were lazy in doing homework for a potential customer or clueless as to what they were talking about. Given a VIN #, a SA should be able to give a yay or nay answer to a service question about a vehicle if not actually show you the records.

Also, to my recollection, BMW won't certify a M car as CPO, regardless of miles, if it didn't have its 1200mi service.
      02-12-2012, 06:45 PM   #38
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries326 View Post
Is it true that only M vehicles now should get the 1200 mile maintenance?
Maybe I'm remembering it wrong, but the reason for the 1200-mile service on Ms is two-fold. One, the engine go out with lighter, less durable break-in oil to facilitate proper wearing in of parts, and Two, to remove the bulk of metal particles that wind up in said oil during the first 1200 miles. Reason one is the chief reason the service is so important - the oil in the car simply isn't up to lasting that long and the engine is essentially unprotected after 2000 miles or so.

It won't hurt anything to change it on the non-Ms, but they aren't as prone to metal contaminants since they aren't as high-revving, and they're shipped with regular oil so the need to change isn't urgent.

Weird. I could swear it was Miller who wrote this is Bimmer magazine.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 07:37 PM   #39
G80indy
Save the Manuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3, E46, G80

Quote:
You are correct but there will be a day when most our cars will be sought after by real enthusiasts ( just like the Z3M)
top cars with top maintenance will command top dollar.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 11:42 PM   #40
Aries326
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si, 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW Z4 3.0si  [9.00]
Quote:
Good read! Mike Miller is very hardcore when it comes to Maintenance. I dont think the 1200 miles services r required for non M.
I am also whole heartly with the article on the oil change interval. VW did the same thing when they offered the Free Maintenance Services. The service interval magically increased to 15k miles without any changes to the design or material being used. It is a marketing scam in my opinion. I would rather have another extra year of warranty than anything else

Whatever used to be recommended at the 1200 mile maintenance, I'm going to go ahead and ask my brother to help me out with it. He's a mechanic for VW and now Audi. I'm sure the change in interval was to save cost and not necessarily for the benefit of the vehicles.