ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-01-2016, 09:14 PM   #1
96conv
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4 3.0

How does a stock Z4 compare in autocross or track against ...

Boxster
Miata

One of those cars are in my future so I'm wonder in'.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2016, 07:53 AM   #2
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

SCCA classes the Boxster and the Z4 in the same autocross class and I run against Boxsters frequently. The Z4 in stock form is a slight underdog, but with better struts/shocks and a sway bar change it's competitive.

With respect to the Miata, you have to look at which model. The NA and NB Miatas are in a different SCCA class and the Z4 is generally quicker. The NC Miata (MX-5) is in the same class as the Z4 and in pure stock form performs close to the Z4. With the allowed mods (struts/shocks, sway bar) the NC Miata is quicker.
The 996 is generally quicker than the Z4 (including the Z4M) for autocross.

The Z4 is a lot of fun on an autocross course, but it's not particularly well suited for it. It's heavy for it's size, it's got a high polar moment of inertia (doesn't rotate well), and the gearing is set up for it to run at high speed comfortably on the highway. In addition, the rear track of the Z4 is about 5 inches wider than the front, and you have to keep that constantly in mind with respect to how close to the cones you're getting.

I do about 30 events a year with my 3.0si and I've got a couple class championships with it, but that's against local competition where there's a wide variance in skill level. Against a good driver in an MX-5 they're going to beat me, but they'll beat everyone in the class (Z4, S2000, Boxster, WRX, Focus RS, etc.) too. We've traded around cars a few times just to eliminate the driver factor, and the MX-5 consistently is the winner.
      10-09-2016, 02:24 PM   #3
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

I was looking over a new MX5 last night that was on tickets at a local mall and it sure looked nice. Tricked out with black BBS rims, brembo brakes and Recaro seats - all factory equipment. Car looked great I gotta say.

Very impressed with how easy the manual top can be raised and lowered too.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2016, 08:34 PM   #4
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
I was looking over a new MX5 last night that was on tickets at a local mall and it sure looked nice. Tricked out with black BBS rims, brembo brakes and Recaro seats - all factory equipment. Car looked great I gotta say.

Very impressed with how easy the manual top can be raised and lowered too.
If I didn't have a strong affinity for the BMW brand, I'd be seriously looking at one. I know three people that have purchased them and just love them. One of them replaced his C7 'Vette with one and absolutely loves it.